Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well what can I say. The Ace took me out on Sunday. I finally got it back out in the trails after having it at the dealer for over a week trying to find the issue with the steering. I completely blame myself because I was having trouble keeping it hooked up and I should have known better. I should have loaded it back up on the trailer and returned it to the dealer. I wasn't going extremely fast and all I remember is that when I went around a big rock the steering turned so fast that I didn't have time to turn back out of the turn and I smacked a tree dead center. I crushed my left leg into the dash and snapped my shin in half. If it wasn't for fuzzihall from this forum I would have never gotten myself out of the trails. I drove myself to the hospital and I have to wait for the swelling to go down to have a plate and pins put in. I'm so upset and I have no idea how to address Polaris. I told them from day 1 that there was a major issue with the machine

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow incredibly unfortunate. So that was a power steering malfunction?

·
Registered
93 Posts
sad you got hurt, question did you have the seat belt on? and was it the 3 point seat belt. We had this issue awhile back about 3 point compared to 4 point seat belts. I still think 4 point is a safer belting system, would the 4 point seat belt stopped you from getting hurt?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ace-n-one, so sorry to hear of your misfortune. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I can really sympathize with you as I have plates and pins in my left ankle from an accident while clearing some trails last year.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I had my factory seat belt on but am kicking myself for not using the 5 point belt I installed

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sucks you got hurt. Let us know what you find out when you get a chance. Haven't had any issues with my steering on my sp.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to hear about your injuries. Can you explain in more detail about keeping it hooked up? Was it factory in an SP or an aftermarket install by a dealer?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Wow Ace.....sorry to hear of your accident, but also glad you weren't hurt worse than you were. Take care of yourself and hope you heal quickly. We're all praying for your speedy recovery

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and hope you provide a little more info on the mechanics and the answers from the dealer.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
If anyone is interested in the full back story on this ACE and its history of steering problems, here it is: http://www.aceforums.net/forum/44-ace-570/1283-ace-570-sp-first-run-snowy-trails.html

Here is a summary:
"I went up in the trails in 4-5 foot of snow" (The snow was hard packed)
"The steering was terrible and I couldn't keep it straight. The power steering was way to soft and I was squirrly and could not hook up at all."
"At low rpms I was fish tailing and hitting the drift every what seems 10 ft."
"Polaris came in and looked at the bike and supposedly the bikes programming was old and the new update would correct the bikes steering and the bike needed more grease."

·
Registered
421 Posts
Get better soon my friend!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys I really appreciate the kind words. The ace is a factory sp and so far I have not contacted my dealer because my lawyer wants a third party to check the ace over in detail. Vinny I was looking at those this morning and was curious to what made them better. Can you tell me a bit more

·
Registered
6 Posts
Janie and ace 005.JPG I just bought one and that thing put me on it's side before I knew I was tipping. I was in my yard and was turning and hit the gas like a quad thinking it would break loose to turn. Wrong! I hit my head on the rollbar. I know, should have been wearing a helmet. Put a good sized gash just above my temple. Will sure be easy using it from now on.

Sorry to read this about your leg. Looks like you will have a summer off. Hope Polaris will come through for you. This one of mine does not have power steering, but is easy to maneuver.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Plumb...Did you have your front wheel drive switch turned on? If it was on, it is almost impossible to break the rear end loose. The Ace just digs in and goes. When it is off, you can easily break the rear end loose with a quick flip on the steering wheel while hitting the gas. Hope you heal up quickly.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ace.....whats your status physically and also what's going on with your ace and Polaris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts