Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few machines. One of them is a Polaris Ace. It is 90 inches long; 48 inches wide with a wheel base of 61.5. I have a Triton ATV 128-2 trailer and sometimes I side load the Polaris. The trailer is 79 inches wide. So, the machine hangs over the side by about 6 inches on each. The wheels sit with the weight fully on the trailer, but they hang off a bit too (about 4 inches).

I was thinking about widening the trailer at the point where I load the Ace a few inches.....just to provide a little margin for error if the machine should shift on the road. Any ideas?

I have stake pockets on each side that sit about where each tire of the machine is when loaded. What about thoughts about an insert I could put in each stake pocket that would add a few inches?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I don't blame you for wanting to modify your existing trailer instead of buying a new one - those aluminum trailers are spendy!
However, someone will be along shortly to tell you that some traffic enforcement people take a dim view of stuff hanging over the side of the trailer, even if that stuff is still within the legal width limit. Some places have laws about that.
I think the best long term solution is going to be selling your trailer and buying a wider one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Welcome to the asylum. Be patient and keep looking, someone here either has your answer or will give you an idea on the fix.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Make aluminum stake side boards that will set in the pockets and then cut and welded 90° so they lay flat, even with the bed. As long as your total width is 101" or less, no officer will mess with you. Visualize an aluminum C channel cut & welded at 90°, with part in the stake pocket and the other part perpendicular to the bed. Then either weld aluminum plate to the part sticking out beside the floor, or use some other material as your extended floor. I personally would use aluminum for the extended floor, just for appearance and so it would not be obvious to anyone that it is an after thought extension. A good welding shop would do this for a reasonable price, compared to a new trailer and if done right would look great.

Reactions: dlist777

·
Registered
100 Posts
Make aluminum stake side boards that will set in the pockets and then cut and welded 90° so they lay flat, even with the bed. As long as your total width is 101" or less, no officer will mess with you. Visualize an aluminum C channel cut & welded at 90°, with part in the stake pocket and the other part perpendicular to the bed. Then either weld aluminum plate to the part sticking out beside the floor, or use some other material as your extended floor. I personally would use aluminum for the extended floor, just for appearance and so it would not be obvious to anyone that it is an after thought extension. A good welding shop would do this for a reasonable price, compared to a new trailer and if done right would look great.
3456ba2c58fdc0ea0c7999d84670f2db.480x300x11.gif

This is kinda how I felt reading this post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts