Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I knew from the beginning I would be doing stuff like this as I cant leave well enough alone. :rofl3: Good, bad or otherwise, I don't mind being the guinea pig sometimes.

While riding even during cooler to cold(below freezing) temps this past winter, I noticed that the temps always seemed to run on the high end and fan ran a lot. Mostly when slowing to get past narrow gates. I'd watch temp climb instantly and hear the fan kick on. Then watch the temp slowly drop as I got back up to trail speed.

When I installed my winch a couple weeks ago, I removed the complete front plastic grill and that's when I discovered that almost a 1/3rd of the radiator is covered by plastic. At that point I got out my hole saw kit and saber saw and got to work and now have lots of air flow direct into the rad. For the time being I am just using hardware cloth as a grill to keep rocks from doing any potential damage to the fins. But left enough material that I could still get better looking grill screen material to go back in if I want.

So far the most noticeable improvement is to how fast the temps drop into the low 180*'s after hitting 205-210* at stops. Recovery is far quicker than with all that plastic covering things up.

Here's a photo. For me its a function over form thing. Some will hate it, I know...lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like the looks of it better than the stock grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was thinking on something like this after 2 rides with the Ace. I noticed that the fan comes on a lot, even if the temperature is under 5C like now.

I will do the same thing ( or something really similar ). Thanks for posting :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
So I knew from the beginning I would be doing stuff like this as I cant leave well enough alone. :rofl3: Good, bad or otherwise, I don't mind being the guinea pig sometimes.

While riding even during cooler to cold(below freezing) temps this past winter, I noticed that the temps always seemed to run on the high end and fan ran a lot. Mostly when slowing to get past narrow gates. I'd watch temp climb instantly and hear the fan kick on. Then watch the temp slowly drop as I got back up to trail speed.

When I installed my winch a couple weeks ago, I removed the complete front plastic grill and that's when I discovered that almost a 1/3rd of the radiator is covered by plastic. At that point I got out my hole saw kit and saber saw and got to work and now have lots of air flow direct into the rad. For the time being I am just using hardware cloth as a grill to keep rocks from doing any potential damage to the fins. But left enough material that I could still get better looking grill screen material to go back in if I want.

So far the most noticeable improvement is to how fast the temps drop into the low 180*'s after hitting 205-210* at stops. Recovery is far quicker than with all that plastic covering things up.

What a great job you did I like it!!!

The screening along with the rivets offsets it quite well! Heat rejection is important for high performance engines. Looking great!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did somewhat the same to one of our 325 aces Drilled a bunch of 1 inch holes to get more air through. Waste of time. Rode for two hours with my wife on the other machine monitoring the temps the whole time. Absolutely the same temps on both machines 175 -210 degrees. Most of the time low 180s. May be different on 900 or 570 or in 95 degree heat. I wont change the other two machines/

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see a major improvement to the recovery time or how fast it brings the temps back down.

I road a Poker Run yesterday. Temps in low 60*f's for the most part. Frequent stops to draw cards. As it does my ACE temps would run from @183*f to @190*f while on the trail and then shoot up immediately to @200*f to 210*f at a stop. Fan would kick on. Before I vented the front plastic the temps wouldn't drop and fan turn off until I got moving again and got cool air passing the rad. Now just the fan running while sitting will drop the temp enough to shut the fan off. A couple times I noticed that when I got back in the cab, the fan was off and temps were @185* to @190*. This was at fairly cool air temps. So this result my likely be different on a 95*f summer day when the dew points are in the high 60's or low 70's making the air like soup.

This kind of mod may not be for everyone. YMMV.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On that screen I used which was just 1/2" hardware cloth, I don't think it would show up very well. But a finer screen it would. I've seen similar done. And I've seen folks use stencils and paint logo's and the like directly onto radiators too. That shows up really well. Griffin Racing Radiators has done that for as long as I can remember.

And nice to meet you yesterday mrjd3.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hey that looks good. I like the way you mounted the screen directly to the radiator. A lot less rivets that way.

Did you uncheck the box that says "retrieve remote file and reference locally" when you tried to link your photo's?

I got your 1st photo by right click your photo, then 'copy picture' then used the URL option and unchecked the box I mentioned.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did this help with the heat buildup in the driving compartment at all
I didn't notice any difference.

I am currently in Summer mode. Which for me is getting more air in by removing the lower door panels and full windshield. During the limited few times I got to ride this past winter, it was downright toasty. With it open I don't notice that same heat buildup.

But I think the biggest issue as far as the heat getting into the drivers area is the fairly large hole where the steering column comes thru the floorboard. When the fan is running you can feel hot air coming thru there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have no windshield and doors, so all I can feel is a bit hot air around my legs if I`m wearing shorts. It`s not bad at all.
Maybe full doors will change this, but than I will find a solution for that too. :eagerness:

So far so good, I think the fan is running less than before.

·
Registered
102 Posts
so i live in texas and it stays hot year round and if it gets around 40 F i dont play outside anyways... so im definetly going to br doing this. i notice how much that plastic covers up a month after owning the ace. i pulled my front off to install screen door mesh to keep the tall grass from sticking into my radiator fins which is pretty bad in some of our fields. but the way i attached my screen mesh is i used a plastic welder to melt it into the front plastic so its like glue or epoxy with out the glue or epoxy been a year now and its still stuck in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been driving around North Carolina this last month with engine temperatures regularly riding up to 219, limp mode etc. I saw the same thing, cut out that piece of plastic and it was packed full of mud. Just rode this weekend in 90° weather and it ran like a champ.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts