Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have a Sportsman 850 EPS. My riding is mostly in the mountains and to the Eastern Sierra Jamboree and the Rocky Mountain Jamboree every year. I like the idea of sitting in the machine instead of on it, and at 6'2" I felt comfortable sitting in the ACE.

The two features that I'm most interested in with the ACE are engine breaking and the ability to turn sharply while climbing on steep trails. I previously had a Polaris Sportsman 800 that did not have engine breaking and totaled it trying to negotiate a very steep decline. My 850 has great engine breaking and I don't want to lose that feature.

While riding in groups at Jamborees I've seen some of the UTV's have problems trying to make sharp turns on climbs or descents and take multiple attempts to negotiate a turn that an ATV makes in one attempt.

I've had the chance to test drive the 570, but only on a fairly small track with no real opportunity to check engine breaking or tight turning. Since I'm in no big hurry I plan to talk with ACE owners at the Jamborees this year and get their feedback on these two features of the ACE.

I would appreciate any feedback on these two features from ACE owners.

Stan

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe it is a good choice in choosing the Ace 570. I have only 113 miles on it so far and I love everything about it, except how it turns around. With it having a longer wheel base it will not turn as sharp as a shorter wheel base ATV. I have to watch the trails ahead a little bit more carefully if the is a real sharp turn,or run into a dead end. All my friends , on ATVs, were turning around with no problem while I have to make a three point turn . Other than that, I have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I presently have a Sportsman 850 EPS. My riding is mostly in the mountains and to the Eastern Sierra Jamboree and the Rocky Mountain Jamboree every year. I like the idea of sitting in the machine instead of on it, and at 6'2" I felt comfortable sitting in the ACE.

The two features that I'm most interested in with the ACE are engine breaking and the ability to turn sharply while climbing on steep trails. I previously had a Polaris Sportsman 800 that did not have engine breaking and totaled it trying to negotiate a very steep decline. My 850 has great engine breaking and I don't want to lose that feature.

While riding in groups at Jamborees I've seen some of the UTV's have problems trying to make sharp turns on climbs or descents and take multiple attempts to negotiate a turn that an ATV makes in one attempt.

I've had the chance to test drive the 570, but only on a fairly small track with no real opportunity to check engine breaking or tight turning. Since I'm in no big hurry I plan to talk with ACE owners at the Jamborees this year and get their feedback on these two features of the ACE.

Stan
I just got my ACE 570 SP last week...really haven't had too much of a chance to play with it just yet. The SP is the only one that has the Engine Breaking so keep that in mind. From just riding around my yard the Engine Breaking seems to work good. I don't think its too aggressive but you can tell its working.

As for tight turning...I haven't had a chance to ride it on trails yet....only in a wide open area. I am coming from ATV's and can tell you for sure that this does not turn as tight as an ATV, but that should be expected as it is a bit longer. Its not awful but its not as tight of a turn.

Not too much of a help for you, but hopefully it gives you a little idea of what you are working with.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both for your feedback.

Stan

Reactions: Josh277

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Stan
Welcome to the forum!

I have an ATV, an ACE, and a RZR S.
The ACE turns tighter than the RZR, but not as tight as an ATV. So you're going to lose some of the "nimble" handling by switching, but it's still better than a full size UTV.
I've only test-ridden an SP for a few minutes, but in that few minutes I had a chance to go down the side of a gigantic pile of gravel, and I could feel the engine braking do its thing. It works, and a lot of people like it a lot.

Are you near some sand dunes? I bet you could find a rental place with an ACE or three, so you could rent one to check it out. I doubt they'd have an SP though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a question about the engine breaking. Does engine breaking work with rear wheels only, and/or do the front wheels have some kind of engagement switching to be able to engage all four wheels? If it is rear wheels only, some of the steep down hills I have gone down with rear wheels locking up could really be a serious problem. Perhaps a switch to be able to disengage EB would work. Don't know, just asking. From years of experience in big trucks, a Jake brake can quickly get a driver in serious trouble on ice and snow. I can see the same problems with engine breaking on the Ace.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I don't have the answer with 100% certainty, but I believe that since it is only EBS, and not also ADC (Active Descent Control), that means it only acts on the rear wheels.
However, that being said, it does not fully lock up the rears, it only applies some braking to them. They can still turn, they just might turn slower than the machine is sliding, and therefore still be skidding to some extent.
During my very short test drive of the SP model, sliding down on a huge pile of gravel, it seemed to help keep the machine going straight at a reasonable speed. But it was only a gravel pile, not a mountainside.

Polaris has tested it extensively and seems to feel that it is safe enough.
Many users of multiple Polaris products all seem to like it an awful lot, and it hasn't killed them off yet. ;)

For myself, I just use the brakes. But for people who want it, I see no reason for them not to have/use it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was the result of inadequate engine braking going down a very steep hill. I'd prefer to avoid a repeat.

Vehicle Landscape Fell Recreation Chaparral

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Ouch! Yeah, I can see why you'd be looking for some mechanical assistance, rather than relying on your foot and the hydraulics.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Boy!!!! That really is a mess. I feel just the opposite tho. I would rather rely on my foot and my four wheels breakink so that I can feel a slide start and then backing off some to control it than relying on an ebs that does not know when to back off and continue a rear wheel slide on down a hill.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had EBS and ADC both on my Sportsman 850XP and from my experience I don't want it.

With a big motor the EBS is dangerous on steep slick hills. My better half was scared of the EBS and therefore wouldn't ride it so I traded it for the ACE. The limited amount of braking the standard ACE provides is fine by me.

The ADC works on the front wheels but only when the throttle is fully closed. It worked on moderate hills but not on steep hills and I don't idle down hills anyway. ADC is not available on the ACE.

JMHO

·
Registered
259 Posts
I can see the benifit of ebs on most of my riding, but there are a lot of technical areas that I ride, that I would want to be able to control it by being able to turn it off.

·
Registered
525 Posts
ADC is a hill retarder system that uses clutch plates in the front differential that are powered by oil pressure from a little pump that is powered by the carrier when it turns to apply the pressure. It can be turned on and off by a switch. It acts to try to keep the front wheels turning the same speed as the carrier so as not to put a drag on the wheels like regular brakes but still provide front wheel braking synchronized to the rear wheel speed.

Simply put, it tries to provide 4wd when going down hill.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I will clarify my opinion here about the EBS on my 850. It weighs about 800 pounds with a high performance 850 and the EBS was very aggressive, so much so that it would slide the rear wheels going down the main trail (a gravel road) at Black Mountain which would cause it to try to turn sideways. It was downright dangerous on steep slick hills. We would regularly put it in high range or neutral to go down these.

The ACE weight a little more and the engine is smaller and the clutch tuning might be less aggressive so it might be fine. But not for me. Lots of riders say they like it.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I only rode the 570 SP for a few miles, but when I came bombing down a gravel road and let off the gas, it did not skid.
When I went down the side of the huge gravel pile, I could feel it kicking in and changing the way I was going down the hill, but I did not feel it was too aggressive. In fact I felt it was a little weak.
I've ridden 50 or so miles on the same ride with the guy who owns the SP, and did not notice any adverse affects while he was riding, and he did not mention any.
I can see how an aggressive EBS on a lighter machine with a larger engine could be problematic.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have not driven an ace with the engine brake
I have a 325 and engage the clutch with a little throttle control slowing down and on steep descents and she holds well ,very controlled
I have had it start to slide sideways on slick mud ,released the throttle disengage,counter steer, tap the breaks,apply again
I was able to control the rear slide and with no quick way to disengage It may get ugly.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I only rode the 570 SP for a few miles, but when I came bombing down a gravel road and let off the gas, it did not skid.
When I went down the side of the huge gravel pile, I could feel it kicking it and changing the way I was going down the hill, but I did not feel it was too aggressive. In fact I felt it was a little weak.
I've ridden 50 or so miles on the same ride with the guy who owns the SP, and did not notice any adverse affects while he was riding, and he did not mention any.
I can see how an aggressive EBS on a lighter machine with a larger engine could be problematic.
Engine braking on a Polaris only works between 15 mph and 0mph. If you come down a hill faster than 15 mph it will not do anything, but when you get to 15mph or less and you hit some slippery stuff or loose gravel you better be prepared to gas it when it kicks in or you will be looking at the rear of your atv pass the front of your atv. Polaris EBS is way too aggressive. I had it on my 500 sportsman and nearly got into trouble on numerous occasions. The natural engine braking of the standard ACES is all anyone needs. Keep the clutch engaged and it will go down anything while you remain in control. I'll never have another EBS quad...at least not a Polaris

1 - 20 of 38 Posts