Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a dummy when it comes to electrical stuff so bear with me....

I noticed on the fuse box there is a 20 and 10 amp accessory fuse.

Can I just use a fuse tap into one of those, ground the other wire and ta-da?

Should I use the 10a or 20a?

Are these spare fuses keyed?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Basically yes. You should connect to the pre-fuse side of the fuse holder - easy to determine with a test meter after you remove the fuse.

I have heard there are some unused spaces in the fuse holder, though I have not looked.

There is a connector attached to a harness above the left rear tire that is connected to the light circuit. I used it for a license light. You could use it for your whip and have a convenient place to disconnect when you garage or trailer.

Matt B

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the tail lights? I was told a good place to wire them is directly to the tail lights so when the are turned on with the lights, the whips come on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Chad, depends on the amp draw of your whip (s). I have 2 four footers coming in to mount on my Ace that are about 4 amps each. I personally would put them on something other than the tail light circuit.

·
Registered
420 Posts
you could still trigger a relay from the taillights so it takes the main amp draw instead of the taillight circuit

·
Registered
111 Posts
Chad, depends on the amp draw of your whip (s). I have 2 four footers coming in to mount on my Ace that are about 4 amps each. I personally would put them on something other than the tail light circuit.
Yow! I was just looking at fully-lighted LED whips that pull 500mA. Yeah, for 8 amps you would want a dedicated circuit or a relay. Relay may be beyond the capabilities of our OP friend.

Matt B

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about wiring these things directly to the battery and turning them on/off manually with the switch? I heard they draw such a small amount of power it's not like I'm gonna wake up to a dead battery

·
Registered
420 Posts
with a fuse that would be fine, you won't have any current draw unless the are on.
Anything you add should be fuse protected regardless of where you access power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts