Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week the doctor said my right shoulder is done due to years on the quad, age, a sport quad accident 8 years back, the thumb throttle and way too many hours a week on the computer at work without ergonomic desk for over 25 years now. Human arms are made to work near your sides and in front of us...not with the arms up high. Once you lift your elbow more than 45 degrees to the side you are out of the comfort zone. Having my arms up too far for hours on end is pinching the main nerve that runs from my neck, down under the shoulder blade to the elbow and ends at the wrist. It is inflamed and irritated and the more I ride the worse it is going to get. He says I will never be able to sit on a quad, motorcycle or mountain bike again without triggering the pain because of the way the handlebars are. A few weeks back I was up at 1AM trying to decide if I should go to the ER...I thought I was having a heart attack but it was just that nerve radiating through my chest and arm.

It is sure not worth that....just about the worst pain I have ever had. There is no surgery or anything else that can fix it.

Maybe an ace is the answer...no thumb throttle, arms in tight to the body and a steering wheel rather than handle bars. Maybe it is time to just let it go....$10k for a SP to get PS is a lot of change to drop on something I am not sure if I can do.

I am 6'1" 240 lbs and wanted to see if there were any similar sized people on here with an ace and physical issues that might be able to comment.

Thank you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well if you want my opinion i'd say a resounding "yes" to your question.
Having been a rider of a TRX 450 for many years up until last year I can say that I completely understand where you are coming from. I've experienced many of the same aches and pains that you have.

About me:
I am 5-9 and about 215. (but I was up to 240)
Mid 40's
Torn knee ligaments w/surgery last fall (after a bit of a spill on the dunes on said TRX450)
Shoulder surgery a couple of years ago.
Been working at a desk doing IT stuff for many years.

So I just got back about 2 hours ago from 4 days at Winchester Bay Oregon on the dunes and I have to say that my body feels amazing. I am not sore, beat up, tired or have any of the knee, back, or shoulder pains that I always had after just ONE day on the TRX. I ride an SP and I have to say that I absolutely love the power steering. I did get a chance to test ride one w/out the PS and it wasn't bad, but there was definitely a difference.

I made the jump this year because I had to come to the realization that I'm not a kid anymore and just have too much pain and responsibility to keep having reckless trips out on my TRX. I'm going to do a write-up on my dune experience here in the next day or so with some videos and details of just what the ACE can do on dunes. Let's just say that I had smiles from ear to ear most of the time.

That's my short n sweet opinion. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Honda Foreman, which I loved very much, was just beating the smut out of my shoulders and back. No history of surgery, but I have had shoulder problems off and on for decades. I can ride the Ace for hours with no problems. I am 6-even and about 220 pounds.

My wife was good for about 1/2 hour on her Honda Rancher. She drove my Ace for about 20 minutes, and knew she needed an Ace as well. She can spend a couple hours with no issues.

I have never driven an Ace with EPS, but with my condition, I see no need for it. I do over half of my driving with one hand anyway.

Where do you live? If you are near Tucson, let's schedule a ride!

Matt B

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I feel your pain. Sort of. I have chronic tennis elbow. The power steering in my ACE helps a lot. Driving an ACE will definitely move your arms in different ways than an ATV does. The question is whether yours are so bad now that it doesn't matter where you move them, they're gonna hurt. You have some good options in the ACE. For example, you can adjust the tilt of the steering wheel. You can also buy spacers to move the steering wheel closer to your chest.

But you're right, it's a very expensive gamble.
What you should do, in my humble opinion, is find a rental place you can go visit - even if it costs you a plane ticket - and drive an ACE for a few hours, and see how you feel afterward. Make sure it's an SP model.

Another issue is that the ACE is really not made for tall people. The cutoff seems to be around 6' 2" - anyone taller than that is probably not gonna fit in the ACE. At 6" 1", you _might_ fit. It all depends on whether you have a long torso and short legs, or vice versa. Sitting in one on the showroom floor will tell you if you're totally not gonna fit, or you will fit with room to spare - but if it's a close thing, you gotta ride one on the trail before you'll know for sure.

Flying or driving a long distance and renting an ACE will be pretty spendy, but it will be a lot less than what you will lose trying to sell your ACE if it doesn't work out.

Where are you located? What kind of terrain do you ride?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Im my opinion it all depends in where you ride and what the conditions are. If you ride really rough or tight and twisty trails the ace may actually beat you up just as bad as a 4 wheeler. In tight trails the constant hand over hand, back and forth can be a little exhausting on the shoulders. Keep in mind i dont have power steering and dont know how big of a difference it actually makes! In all other situations i think the ace is way more comfortable then a 4 wheeler. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm 6'3" and 265lbs. I just spent a long weekend riding over 200 miles on easy to difficult trails in Colorado. I was driving my wife's 325 Ace at altitudes from 9500' up to 13,500'
It hauled my fat a$$ around with no problems at all. Never even bottomed it out. It's basically stock, with the exception of different tires and wheels. But still the stock size. And it does have SATV power steering. (Which is a must IMHO).
You can get some great deals out there on closeout 2014's still. Add a bunch of aftermarket goodies and you'll have a very capable machine for well under 10k.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had to quit riding due to a couple of back injuries, until I found the Ace.
I basically drove my 2 wheel drive truck as far as I could on hard ground and walked, or used a boat then walked.
It was better than riding a "sit on seat" vehicle.
When I saw the Ace, which fit in the back of my truck, I test drove one and bought it the same day.
I just hunt and trap on it. I don't really ride just to ride.
I am 51, 5'11", 205 lbs. I get in and out of it a lot, so I don't get stiff.
I do wish it was a few inches higher off the ground.
I do wish they made the 570 in green.

The Ace can use a little more leg room, but I can live with what I got.
That seat is way more comfortable than the sit on seats.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm 6'5" and 225lbs and am very comfortable in the Ace. Getting in and out requires being careful however, hitting my head on the cage is a possibility as is getting a leg stuck under the steering wheel if you don't do it right.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I do not have power steering and my shoulders and arms feel fine even after hours on twisty trails. I do however feel it in my back and hips (both hips were repaired a few yrs ago). It seems like the day will be going fine and then.. bang, one bad bump will leave me tender for several days afterwards. I think if I could go a little easier on the throttle over the whoops it might help. I'm 5'-10" and 148lbs so the cab size is fine for me. Getting in and out is easy too. I love that you don't straddle a seat like a traditional quad. I rode a jet ski the other day for a half hour and was sore from the seat design. I agree with these guys, see if you can rent one somewhere for a day. I've loved the 325 on everything but the dunes, wished I had the 570 a little then.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would really like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread so quickly. The responses sound very promising. It does seem like I need to make the investment in traveling somewhere to spend some time in one on the trails prior to making a big leap. I am in South Dakota....anyone have an idea of what the closest rental location for an Ace might be?

I appreciate the detailed information given in these responses.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a bad shoulder as well. I can still ride my 850XP with power steering, but at some point I probably won't.

The steering wheel is nice, depending upon the terrain you drive, you can drive with one hand, and switch over to the other to rest it as needed.

If your body is getting beat up as well, you might want to consider a RZR 570 with upgraded shocks. The ride should be softer, and you can carry a buddy to help with the driving!

Power steering is a must for you, whether it be factory or after market.

Don't buy a new ACE if you think a 325 will be adequate for you. Check Craigslist. They are almost giving away the used 325s as everyone wants the 570 now. But resale value of the ACE in the used market seems pretty poor in general.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh, also forgot to add...Polaris is announcing their new models on Monday evening. Since there haven't been any reports of 2016 ACE models on showroom floors yet, I'm hoping there are some big changes in the ACE that they are waiting for their big show to announce!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I would really like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread so quickly. The responses sound very promising. It does seem like I need to make the investment in traveling somewhere to spend some time in one on the trails prior to making a big leap. I am in South Dakota....anyone have an idea of what the closest rental location for an Ace might be?

I appreciate the detailed information given in these responses.
Where in SD are you?

Here is a starting point for you to look at: Black Hills South Dakota ATV Trails, Jeep Rentals, Offroad & 4x4 - AllTrips

There are 5 places on that web page that offer ATV rentals, so you can start calling them to find out if any of them have an ACE, if you are close to Black Hills.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Definitely worth waiting until Monday night to hear about the 2016s...my guess is the 2014s and 2015s will drop in a hurry if they bring out new model with an even larger engine. That would drive the used market down as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Flying High,
I'm 71 and 6'2" 230 lbs. and all the age related issues, and have a 570 with Polaris EPS and Walker Evans shocks,(a must have). IMO you would really enjoy the 570 SP model.
Once you have EPS you'll never go back. Some say it's not needed...some do. For us older folks, well just say, "Don't go home without it".

Norm

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Norm,

I was afraid of needing better shocks when I saw the struts on the front. I have also read comments about the ride being less than stellar over choppy ground. How much does that add to the price?

A question for everyone....how has the reliability of the product been? As a previous 850xp EPS owner, I sold my machine when it was nearing the end of warranty. Polaris covered a number of issues like shocks, springs, bushings etc which I was pleased with. I have read many stories since of broken frames, blown engines, bad ADC, bad wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints, valves, oil in the air filter...the list seems endless. I am not seeing a lot of Ace issues on this forum...but perhaps it is too new?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I have broken both front struts by riding hard and hitting things with them. A couple others have as well. I feel that they are somewhat fragile, but less aggressive riders are not breaking them.
I have burned out my voltage regulator by not adequately cleaning it between rides. I've seen multiple reports of burned out VRs on new RZR models as well.
The rear A-arm bushings are starting to get sloppy at 1700 miles.
I had to re-set the toe adjustment nearly every ride due to smacking the front A-arms on rocks until I added Factory UTV UHMW A-arm guards - haven't had to re-set the toe since.

Other than those mostly self-inflicted problems, my ACE has been very reliable.
I skim just about every post that comes through this forum, and most of the issues reported so far have been normal stuff that breaks with hard off-road use.
The things that weren't typical off-road casualties seem to have been freak occurrences.

So I would say the ACE platform is a good solid one.
But yeah, it beats you up some on rough trails.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I hope I don't end up buying the Walker Evans shocks and struts. That will,in all likelihood, lead to a divorce.

Reactions: Stubby

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow...so it looks like one needs to budget another $1000 for the strut mounts, then another $1400 for the walker evans, then more $$$ for front end ball joints just to keep things reliable enough you don't get stuck miles from camp. Then $1200 for OEM PS. Then $200 for plates to protect the struts so you don't have to adjust toe every ride. We are talking another 35%+ to the price of the product just to get started. It would appear Polaris just decided not to put a front end in it... so we are really talking a $12k vehicle for a complete ready to roll solid product. I really better be sure this is the answer.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts