Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(EDIT): Dear Mods (or "Papa"? LOL):

If I'd get more response to this under the Ace Drivetrain forum, can you move this thread there (or anywhere else I should have put it?) and send me a PM so I can find it? I'm new to this board, and banging around into the new surroundings. And sorry for any inconvenience I've caused!)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi all,

I'm very interested in getting my wife an Ace 570 SP, so she can participate with me returning to dirtbiking, and not by riding pillion, as she did in our youth. She's early '60's, with some orthopedic issues, and the Ace's many safety features--full cage, half doors, multi-point harness, lower center of gravity, etc..., all mean [to me] that she can follow along behind my dirtbike on the trails, and I'll only have to worry about not hurting myself--she should be fine. I've even considered looking into "window nets," as seen on some stock cars, so that, in the case of a rollover, even if knocked unconcsious (unlikely, at 5-15mph, with a full-face moto helmet) her hands and arms would stay inside the cage).

While I'm interested in learning trials riding techniques, existing (non-MC-related) injuries prevent too much of that right now, so I'll just be doing lazy trail riding, 1st gear stuff--2nd-3rd gear if I'm feeling "frisky." LOL. Even my (new to me) 2014 Christini 300 AWD's first gear is too damn fast for technical trails, in my limited experience with it, so I'll be picking up a (used) Yammy TW200 for more casual riding, as we're just interested in slow, exploratory-type trail riding. (I anticipate getting a winch for the Ace, and keeping my cordless chainsaw on board, in case she gets into something we can't reverse out of, but the trails we have in mind are approved for ATV's, so the Ace's 48" width should be narrow enough for most of what we encounter.)

But I'm concerned about the various gripes I've seen about the presence (and absence?) of engine braking on some Ace models. I believe Polaris refers to engine braking as "EBS" (what is that, Engine Braking System?)?

We're only interested in the 570 SP (for the power steering, for her arthritic shoulders) and 45 hp is more than she'll ever use. But I saw threads where the Ace 900 was (allegedly) offered with EBS, but not delivered with same, making the buyer understandably disappointed.

I also saw where EBS was only available on the 2017 570 and older model years--is this correct?

I also read reports that the 570 SP's EBS only worked in LOW range, but not HIGH--is this true? Does it depend upon which Model Year you have?

My wife is an excellent automobile driver, but has always struggled using a standard shift. Consequently, if the EBS is NOT present, or NOT consistent, that does concern me. I would not trust her to have the presence of mind to have to hit the gas to re-engage the CVT, to provide engine braking, then hit the brakes, and do that "two-pedal/brake vs. gas" dance, reliably, especially while bouncing down hill and gaining speed.

I've alsoread the EBS ONLY works on the rear wheels, no matter what, and that it can cause them to slow down so much as to "lock" (relative to the fronts) creating a situation where the rear of the buggy slides around sideways, setting up a rollover.

If the above is true, would the following method be a way to ensure that doesn't happen? IOW, when facing a larger downhill, come to a complete stop, put it in Neutral, and rely SOLELY on the brakes, until down at the bottom, then carry on in Low/High, conditions depending? Or can this whole issue be solved just by controlled, HEAVY braking (IN LOW range) to keep speeds so low that the "sliding rear tires trying to pass the front tires" doesn't occur?

Dumb Question: I thought I saw something about individually-controllable, front/rear brakes on the 570 SP--is this true? I know ag tractors have "split brakes," but that's on the rears only, and splits them Left vs. Right. IF there are split brakes, is this done by two pedals? If so, CAN they be coupled together, as on a tractor, by a simple flip tab, or similar?

If someone could address the above, and give me a summary of the state of EBS's availability in the Ace 570 SP, and it's real-world operation, I would be VERY grateful! Or if it's easier to link me to a video, please feel free!

Many thanks, in advance--especially on behalf of my wife, who's survived two, life-threatening illnesses, and would be cheered up by a new toy, and the chance to participate in a new sport (as she's always just been a [brave] passenger on my bikes and ATV).

Gravel Rider

·
Registered
100 Posts
Given your wife's conditions and if you want a narrow vehicle, the Ace is what you want.

I cannot address the engine braking in the 570. In the 325, I don't feel it on a downhill until I press the gas. The RPMs have to be up to engage the drive. So if you are going a downhill, you can use the service brake normally because the drive is not engaged (not the lever, the way the belt system works). Or you can press the accelerator to engage the drive and slow the Ace. I suppose you can do both too. I was not aware of the EBS until I read about it here, and tried pressing the accelerator on a downhill. I don't KNOW, but I would THINK that the EBS works on all four wheels if the 4WD button is engaged.

Wife Kelly has very low upper body strength. I asked her about a power steering mod for her Ace, and she said "what for?"

Where do you live? It should be easy to get your wife into one of our Aces and let her try it for a bit. We are in Tucson, AZ if that helps.

Matt B

·
Registered
9 Posts
The aces just have one brake pedal for all four brakes. I will tell you that on my '19 ace 570 SP ,that the engine braking is not as harsh/abrupt as the older sportsman's were. While occasionally it does do some minor skidding down certain hills, hard pack mainly, it is nothing that cannot be managed. Yes, you'll still need to use the foot brake just like on a car. Keep in mind that the engine braking does stop working at lower speeds, I think anything less than like 5 mph,which is about when the clutches are disengaged for the one-way bearing to do it's job, whether in high range or low.

·
Registered
494 Posts
On the 570 SP models the last year to have EBS was 2017.
What Polaris calls EBS has a one way bearing in the primary clutch and it doesn't kick out. Wheel speed never goes faster than at an idle speed when it is in gear and coasting at an idle. They also have a more aggressive helix in the secondary clutch which slows you more than the non EBS models.
All Polaris vehicles have a degree of ebs built into the CVT which provides some engine braking but they have a two way bearing that lets the belt go faster than the primary clutch and when engine speed slows, the clutch releases the belt and lets the secondary spin free. This lets you regain control if the rear has started to slide but you also get a freewheeling boost of speed. I personally like to go downhill in a forward direction no matter the speed.
The AWD system doesn't provide EBS on the front wheels unless you also have ADC which wasn't available on the ACE.
I only had one vehicle with EBS and won't have another,,, unless it is a larger heavier full size vehicle like a Ranger, RZR, General, etc.
But the standard system works fine for me and provides plenty of braking on my Ranger and RZR and ACE. A good balance on all three actually.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife (63) has a 2016 570 sp. She absolutely loves it. Moved up from an even narrower atv. Changed her whole perspective off-roading for the better. The only time her engine braking has been an issue is on unusually steep, muddy downhills where the machine might slide a little. She’s used it enough to figure it out. She would tell you to get one and go have a blast.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have a 2017 570, (Non-EBS model) engine braking only above certain rpm, can get scary freewheeling down hill if rpms drop to idle, then have to bump the gas to reengage it. Also have a Honda Pioneer 500, best engine braking experience with paddle shifting of 5 gears. Added power steering to it for $550. For an atv, wife likes her Honda Rancher, DCT, PS, IRS, she says it takes care of her on hilly trails. So many different machines out there so keep an open mind when shopping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts