Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that I've noticed about the Ace 570 is that when accelerating very slowly, it doesn't just slowly roll forward or backwards. It jerks forward or back on take off. Is there a fix for this to smooth out take off? Makes it a pain to load and unload.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Unfortuantely a CVT engages rather abruptly. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by jerking backwards...does this happen in reverse or when you go forward it jerks both forward and backwards? You may smooth things out by playing with lighter weights in the primary. Some have said that increasing engagement rpm by 250-300 rpm has made it easier for them to modulate the gas pedal and smooth out clutch engagement.

A "smoked" belt will develop flat spots in it and this is especially noticeable when starting out from a stop...engagement will be jerky and not linear when smoothly and slowly applying throttle from a stop. I'd pull the CVT cover and check belt (sheave) alignment, belt for worn/flat spots, and belt deflection.

Here is a video on how a CVT works:

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I have noticed and complained about this with the RZR, and the ACE does the same thing, if we're talking about the same issue. When I brought this up regarding the RZR, everyone said stuff like "If you try to go that slow you're going to burn your belt" and stuff like that, indicating that they didn't really understand. What I am talking about is when I've just pulled up onto the trailer or truck bed, or pulled into the garage and stopped, and I just need like three more inches to get the thing right where I want it, so I try to give it just a little gas, and nothing, nothing, and then suddenly BANG, I've rolled eight inches and smacked into the truck cab, or knocked over the stack of paint cans I was nosing toward or whatever.

It's just how these machines work. It is partly to blame on how CVTs work in general, but more to blame on how Polaris has implemented the clutch. I can feather the Grizzly and work it right into the spot I want, using the 'friction zone' of the clutch to get that fine-tuned three inches of vehicle travel - but not so much with the RZR or ACE.

I haven't heard of any way to fix it. Leaving it in neutral, getting out, and pushing it works. ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have noticed and complained about this with the RZR, and the ACE does the same thing, if we're talking about the same issue. When I brought this up regarding the RZR, everyone said stuff like "If you try to go that slow you're going to burn your belt" and stuff like that, indicating that they didn't really understand. What I am talking about is when I've just pulled up onto the trailer or truck bed, or pulled into the garage and stopped, and I just need like three more inches to get the thing right where I want it, so I try to give it just a little gas, and nothing, nothing, and then suddenly BANG, I've rolled eight inches and smacked into the truck cab, or knocked over the stack of paint cans I was nosing toward or whatever.

It's just how these machines work. It is partly to blame on how CVTs work in general, but more to blame on how Polaris has implemented the clutch. I can feather the Grizzly and work it right into the spot I want, using the 'friction zone' of the clutch to get that fine-tuned three inches of vehicle travel - but not so much with the RZR or ACE.

I haven't heard of any way to fix it. Leaving it in neutral, getting out, and pushing it works. ;)
I agree, my sportsman 800 had a more gradual engagement both before and after I installed a stiffer primary spring in the cvt than my ace does. I guess you just get used to it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
When loading the Ace in my truck, I keep a foot on the brake once I get in the bed.
If I don't go all the way to the tool box and press the gas to move, it jerks and I smack my tool box.
I have to push the brakes and then the gas. It gives me more control moving slowly forward.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This is exactly what I'm talking about!!! That's what we have been doing now. Neutral and then just push it. My buddy was backing his ace in front of mine, barley hit the gas and smacked right into my new brush guard. Luckily I added the brush guard or he would of took out my radiator.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Grizzly's belt is always engaged-constant tension belt unlike our more traditional CVT (PVT called by Poo). The reason the Grizzly's engagement is so smooth is that the Grizzly's ultramatic transmission has a wet (oil bathed) CENTRIFUGAL clutch. Trust me, I went from owning 2 Grizzly's and hate traditional CVTs.

Secret to riding our ACEs: Ride with 2 feet, one on the gas and one foot on the pedal. It'll stop you from slamming into things when loading your ACE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When loading the Ace in my truck, I keep a foot on the brake once I get in the bed.
If I don't go all the way to the tool box and press the gas to move, it jerks and I smack my tool box.
I have to push the brakes and then the gas. It gives me more control moving slowly forward.
Lol you must have small feet... I find putting both feet on the pedals near to impossible!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
Lol you must have small feet... I find putting both feet on the pedals near to impossible!

After smacking the tool box several times, you can find a way to put both feet on the pedals at the same time.
No small feets here. It's tougher with rubber boots on too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After smacking the tool box several times, you can find a way to put both feet on the pedals at the same time.
No small feets here. It's tougher with rubber boots on too.
Loll I can imagine! Its real pain with work boots!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
X2^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
10 Posts
In order to prevent slamming the front ace bumper into the front of the short box when loading, I made chocks on my 2x10 weight spreading planks. I primarily use these planks to keep the full weight off the tailgate.

As long as I don't drive the ACE up the ramps like an ass, it falls short of the front of the box by an inch. Did for thought...

Have no idea why the pic is upside down...

uploadfromtaptalk1441235071790.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1441235009236.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tread-jack, sorry. But is that the 900 Ace? I didn't think the 570 came in that color/decal combo. Or is a Canadian thing? ;)
Lol.... If I could have afforded it I would have bought the 900! It's a new out of crate 2015 570SP. Couldn't bring myself to spring for an additional 4000.00 for 330 cc of displacement. The U.S. Dollar is killing us up here now.... Great for you guys to come up and ride some Canadian trails tho!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just contact slp clutching addressing this problem their response first my question, The ace forum has a problem with jerky forward or reverse at slow
speed. We try to move the ace a short distance and the ace will jump
forward or
reverse> the only way we can move it a short distance is to push it.
reverse> Will
your clutch move the ace with a lower lockup the ace with the 570cc
engine will not move until 1750 rpm before it will move. We need a
clutch that will allow lower rpm lockup and a positive lockup. thanks
dave donlan =

We have only worked with the ACE 325 and RZR 570 models. We have not
worked on the ACE 570 model yet. Would you like me to contact you
when information is available on this model?
the ace 570 has the same engine and transmission as the rzr 570 so the
information will be the same On Sep 8, 2015, at 6:21 AM, Eric Mathews

There are some changes in exhaust and total weight between the
vehicles so we do not currently have a drop in kit with the weight
specs needed. If you wanted to do some of your own tuning, the 570 RZR
kit would be pretty close and has plenty of adjustment to get you there.

On the RZR we saw better throttle response, better backshift, a
smoother engagement (engagement came in slightly higher than stock but
silky smooth), and it was more consistent over changing conditions.
The kit runs $577.90 and includes primary spring, adjustable primary
weights and a complete TEAM Tied secondary clutch.

This will give you partial EBS. If you want full EBS, you will need to send
your primary clutch to us for modification. It will cost an additional
$180.90.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My clutch engages at 1800 rpm. With me knowing this i watch rpm's for small movements. I can predict movement when i leave the gages on rpm. I will hand roll the wheels on a trailer if i am not driving.
I go to 1900 to 2000 rpms then ease of the brake to prevent ace jumping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone installed the EPI clutch kit for the 570 ACE they are just under $200.00 was wondering if they take care of the problem? I have used the SLP kit on my 900 trail and it does fix the problem have installed several kits on my friends machines and all are happy with results just wish they weren't quite as expensive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts