Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our new Aces out for a ride last weekend. Wife's is new with maybe ten miles on it.

On our morning ride, it stalled when she shifted the trans, and it would not restart. Dash indicator showed low voltage. We trailered it home. I found one of the cables to the battery solenoid was very loose. I tightened it and recharged the battery. Started and ran fine.

On our afternoon ride, the dash indicator started showing "lo" voltage again, and we nursed it back home. When we got it there, I could tell that the bike was hot. I used the dash indicator to determine the coolant temperature was 228 degrees! It is at the dealer now for repairs.

Warning one: It seems that the low voltage condition indicator takes precedence over a high coolant temperature indicator.
Warning two: The Ace will run and drive when there is not enough voltage to power the cooling fan.

Matt B

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the Ace back and gave it a mild workout. Voltage stayed around 14 volts. I did a long run and stopped and idled to watch the temperature. It rose to 204 degrees, the fan started and the temperature dropped. All seems good. I was worried about the overheat, but I was expecting an operating maximum temperature of 160ish. (Maybe I am thinking of boats.) In any case, the overheat does not seem so severe.

The dealership replaced a voltage rectifier and the starting battery. Call it hearsay, but the tech suspected there might be bad parts about. The newest Aces have a slightly different version of the part (where they got my replacement), and the part is currently backordered.

The shop was quick with their repair and very courteous. I left the shop rats a couple of cases of sodie-pop as a thanks.

Matt B

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Mine bounced around from the high 100s to the low 200s regularly when I was watching it one ride, but I can't give specific numbers.
I rarely notice the fan, to tell the truth. Usually my RPMs are too high for me to hear it. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine bounced around from the high 100s to the low 200s regularly when I was watching it one ride, but I can't give specific numbers.
I rarely notice the fan, to tell the truth. Usually my RPMs are too high for me to hear it. :)
I have not noticed the fan when driving/riding/operating. I stopped to listen for it. Temps of 180 to 204 seem to be normal operation range.

I had a hell of a good time today. I really like these things so far.

Matt B

·
Registered
420 Posts
yeah i think the fan shuts down around 185ish...like most modern vehicles with a 195 thermostat. 160 in a boat is pretty common since they are pulling fresh water instead of recirculating the same hot water all the time.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I have not noticed the fan when driving/riding/operating. I stopped to listen for it. Temps of 180 to 204 seem to be normal operation range.

I had a hell of a good time today. I really like these things so far.

Matt B
I was SO paranoid the first ride out in my ACE.
I stopped 2 miles down the trail because I thought I was seeing a red line near an icon indicating an overheat.
I spent a few minutes doing things like checking the temperature, trying to figure out where the overflow can is, checking my fuses for the fan switch fuse, etc.
Then I realized the red line I was looking at was actually letters. It said "RPM".

D'Oh!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I stopped 2 miles down the trail because I thought I was seeing a red line near an icon indicating an overheat.
I spent a few minutes doing things like checking the temperature, trying to figure out where the overflow can is, checking my fuses for the fan switch fuse, etc.
Then I realized the red line I was looking at was actually letters. It said "RPM".

D'Oh!
LOL my buddy did that same thing this weekend, it was his first time on the ace.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I remember now! Boats with open cooling have thermostats at 160 degrees to prevent boiler scale in the cooling system!

I kind of skipped a generation, and went from a 2001 Honda Foreman to the Ace. Full independent suspension, automatic transmission, disc brakes, liquid cooling, fuel injection, no choke, AWD, seat belt, steering wheel, accelerator pedal, roll cage... A lot changed for me in a day. The voltage, temperature, etc on the speedo alone is pretty amazing to me.

Matt B

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have had/been around many different quads over the years and these new polaris machines make the others seem really bad. I still have a 05 kawasaki prairie 360 here and man...what a piece of crap when it comes to handling, power, ride comfort, etc compared to the Ace and especially the Scrambler. The kawi does what it needs to do but it may never get ridden again around here.

·
Registered
447 Posts
OldMattB, I am intrigued by your nickname. There are three of us that worked together and are all in our 70's that ride together and until last week all had Aces. I am curious since the first part of your nickname is "Old" if you too are a senior citizen that enjoys the Ace. I had an ATV when I was younger but the last few years I have driven a Kawasaki Mule, primarily as a work vehicle in maintaining my property. The Ace was certainly an upgrade in technology for me too. I am having a blast riding it. One of my friends had a need for a vehicle that was better than the Ace while riding on pavement. He just bought a RZR XC 900. It has turf mode (one wheel drive) that is great on pavement. I think that he still has the need for speed so he went with the 900 engine. I will get to drive in on October 10 when he comes to visit. I hope that I don't hurt myself with all that power.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I have had/been around many different quads over the years and these new polaris machines make the others seem really bad. I still have a 05 kawasaki prairie 360 here and man...what a piece of crap when it comes to handling, power, ride comfort, etc compared to the Ace and especially the Scrambler. The kawi does what it needs to do but it may never get ridden again around here.
I remember the Prairie 360 being the more nimble and comfortable quad - but that was compared to the Bayou 250 and the Brute Force 650. The Grizzly's got it beat.
I sometimes think that I miss the Prairie 360, but then I remember that its weight and dimensions were similar to the 650 with less than half the engine power.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not THAT old! ; )

I am 55 next week. Nickname is from a musicians' forum, where they all seemed to be 22 years old. Our interests are probably the same - if we tip over, we want to laugh, not spend a year recovering from a broken shoulder. Also I am relatively new to ATVs - first ride maybe four years ago. I have come off one while moving, and it hurt a lot.

OldMattB, I am intrigued by your nickname. There are three of us that worked together and are all in our 70's that ride together and until last week all had Aces. I am curious since the first part of your nickname is "Old" if you too are a senior citizen that enjoys the Ace. I had an ATV when I was younger but the last few years I have driven a Kawasaki Mule, primarily as a work vehicle in maintaining my property. The Ace was certainly an upgrade in technology for me too. I am having a blast riding it. One of my friends had a need for a vehicle that was better than the Ace while riding on pavement. He just bought a RZR XC 900. It has turf mode (one wheel drive) that is great on pavement. I think that he still has the need for speed so he went with the 900 engine. I will get to drive in on October 10 when he comes to visit. I hope that I don't hurt myself with all that power.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hayseed, where are you in east Texas? Two years ago, we moved from Coldspring, about half way between Conroe and Livingston. We lived at the southern shore of Lake Livingston, maybe a mile from the dam.

Matt B

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hayseed, where are you in east Texas? Two years ago, we moved from Coldspring, about half way between Conroe and Livingston. We lived at the southern shore of Lake Livingston, maybe a mile from the dam.

Matt B
OldMatB, I live in the country near Brownsboro. It is close to Tyler. I am familiar with Coldspring. I lived in Houston for 32 years and fished a lot on Lake Livingston. I fished mostly in the upper end in the jungle. I started working on my bucket list a couple of years ago. I bought a Martin D18 and am learning Bluegrass crosspicking. I have not been on any of the musician's forums as I am not a musician.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for the digression!

We could sit on our deck and look across the lake. On clear days, we could see the cars on the Onalaska Bridge. I miss the lake, particularly in the Winter. One mild Winter day, I heard what I thought was rain. I looked outside and about half a mile out, there were thousands of anhingas feeding and making the racket.

The people of Texas are the best I have encountered. I have dozens of stories for another time.

Getting back to the subject at hand, our part of Tucson has lots of dirt to ride. I have done a 30 mile ride, starting across the street, all on dirt, and never got five miles from the house. Texas has very little public land - this place is amazing!

Matt B

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad to see you got a Martin, they're the best in my book. In 1977 I bought a new D28 but it got ripped off in about 1995. I now have a Sigma HD-28, which was made in Japan by Martin. I don't play much anymore but used to play bluegrass and did some flatpicking, hence the name "flatpickerray".
Got brush guards and winch mounted on Ace, I'll have to take some pictures and post them one of these days.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

D'Oh!
You're not the only one who has done that...lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think that is one of my gripes with the utvs in general. you have to choose what you want to see on the gauge. the size is big enough you could have temp volts and rpms and speedo all there to look at. I know im old but the old ford round gauge wasn't much bigger and you had everything right there.we need an aftermarket company to make one id buy it for sure. peace of mind ya know. my rant for the day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts