Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remove the bird catcher stock filters and replace with 1" (green) foam you can get at any fabric store. You will be amazed at how much dust it will keep out of your clutch and off your air filter. Wash with any good detergent after a days ride. Or take a couple you can swap out during a dusty days ride. I put a couple of drops of K&N filter oil on them. I previously had to blow out my engine filter every 2 days of riding dusty Hatfield McCoy trails. Now I can go 7 days or more. And it will keep dust out of your clutch area reducing wear and tear on your bearings and belt. Even on a low dust day they catch a lot of what you don't see...
Use the stock filter as a template.
Just an idea....works well for me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Pictures please? All I'm picturing is that green foam stuff that you stick flowers into. I know that's not what your talking about but my brain won't let it go.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Uni filter foam

Hey, Norm. Would it look something like this picture? Sort of like the prefilter foam that you have on the air cleaners of your mowers. Oiled foam. Works great because the dust sticks to the oil on the foam, and you are so right. A little DAWN or degreasing soap, and you can dry it, re-oil it, and away you go. I'll have to get some of this foam, Uni Filter BF12"x16"x5/8" thick, for $11.10 on Amazon.
Anything similar to that would be certainly suitable. Great idea!

·
Registered
502 Posts
That foam sheet like is used on camper air-con units might work too, and it is black. It would probably take several layers to make it stay in the holder. I think I might have some in the garage. I will try to find it and check it out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pictures please? All I'm picturing is that green foam stuff that you stick flowers into. I know that's not what your talking about but my brain won't let it go.
Not the hard stuff...the soft foam, it comes on rolls and you purchase about a yard. Comes in 1/2" or 1". I used the 1".

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, Norm. Would it look something like this picture? Sort of like the prefilter foam that you have on the air cleaners of your mowers. Oiled foam. Works great because the dust sticks to the oil on the foam, and you are so right. A little DAWN or degreasing soap, and you can dry it, re-oil it, and away you go. I'll have to get some of this foam, Uni Filter BF12"x16"x5/8" thick, for $11.10 on Amazon.
Anything similar to that would be certainly suitable. Great idea!
Same principle..works great and doesn't restrict airflow.
Norm

·
Registered
510 Posts
Great idea! I've been thinking of doing some-thing like this.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks all for the heads up on this. I ordered the Uni Filter sheet from Amazon and have some filter oil for it already. Anyone know if Outer Wears makes a cover for these? That would be really useful to use in these covers as well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Keep the clutch clean and add an engine pre-filter

Got my UNI filter material yesterday, and took out my bird catchers. Made a template out of cardboard that will just fit inside the covers, and then traced the outline of the cardboard and the bird catcher onto the UNI filter. After cutting them out, they fit in perfectly into the cover and the other ones into the openings. This filter material is about 1/2 the thickness of the "birdcatcher" so two of them fits in just snugly enough. I Oiled them up a bit and they are good to go! View attachment 6922 View attachment 6930 View attachment 6938 View attachment 6946

·
Registered
438 Posts
Cummins that looks great. I didn't take pics but did the same with the green Uni foam sheet that someone mentioned above off Amazon. I had some K&N filter oil and put just a light coating of that on mine. No real dust to worry about this time of year for me. But anything extra helps. 1 sheet of the Uni foam will net at least 2 or 3 pair of filters. So plenty extra to seal up in a ziplock bag and carry on the trail.

In summer there are some places that have what we call; "Moon Dust". It is serious stuff and gets into everything. This stuff is so fine that it will go right thru a properly oil K&N filter unless OuterWears or oil prefilter is used. These DIY prefilters should go a long way in keeping that stuff away from the filter itself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Kind of related...

How about these for protecting the side filters during after ride washing:

Robot Check (or equivalent)

Just pop the grill off, put one of these covers on, and snap back in place. Should be easier than any wrestling with plastic bags, due to the elastic.

Reactions: whatwasithinkin

·
Registered
438 Posts
Kind of related...

How about these for protecting the side filters during after ride washing:

Robot Check (or equivalent)

Just pop the grill off, put one of these covers on, and snap back in place. Should be easier than any wrestling with plastic bags, due to the elastic.
Sure. Looks like that would work.

I haven't gotten my ACE terrible dirty in the past months since buying it. But on the couple of occasions before freezing weather set in and I could still use the hose, I just put my filter holders into zip-lock bags and stuck them back into the machine. Seemed to work just fine to keep water out while giving it a quick rinse off.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Would you say it is too restrictive for the airbox side?
I've had that same question in my head for a while. I personally think there wont be an issue. I ran my Uni lightly pre-oiled on both intakes for what little cold weather riding I did. But for warm weather I am going to just go back to the stock filter on the clutch side. I am going to pick up a package of air conditioner foam that its only @1/4" thick and use a single layer as a prefilter for it. For warm, just to be on the safe side, I will run it dry as I don't want any oil particles getting anywhere near the clutch's or belt.

But I really wonder if even that is overkill. When I think back to riding my old Kawasaki BF650i in really dusty conditions, I found only miniscule amounts of dust inside the clutch box. That quads clutch box used a short OEM snorkel that made it able to ride seat depth water. It had no filter.

I really wonder if the clutch generates a positive pressure anyway for the most part?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not a bad idea however, I would be a little careful about how much I filter the incoming air to the clutch as well because on the Rzr forums Todd from Hunterworks (who is a expert on these clutches) has said that he doesn't like any of the filters on the air intakes for the clutches. He has said that heat is a much worse enemy of the clutch than dirt.
Just a little 411....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Heat is the enemy of your clutch belt, but I don't think that filtering the cooling air will make that much of a difference, and the dust that you keep out would normally begin clogging up things other than your belt, so keeping the dust out will be an advantage.

Whatwasithinking - do a little internet research on oiling your UNi foam. I remember reading somewhere that K & N has a different material than Uni, which is why they have different oils, and that you shouldn't use K & N oil on UNI filter material and vice versa. Sorry I can't remember which forum the information was on or exactly what problems it causes (my memory was never any good and has deteriated with age).

·
Registered
438 Posts
Whatwasithinking - do a little internet research on oiling your UNi foam. I remember reading somewhere that K & N has a different material than Uni, which is why they have different oils, and that you shouldn't use K & N oil on UNI filter material and vice versa. Sorry I can't remember which forum the information was on or exactly what problems it causes (my memory was never any good and has deteriated with age).
Oh I know. I only used the K&N oil on the Uni as it was what I just happened to have kicking around. And only just a light coating on just the surface as I didn't want to soak the filter with it. I figured that was safe enough for cold weather riding. I've used K&N and Uni filters since the mid 70's when I started my 10 year long MX career. So I am relatively familiar with them.

But as I get more familiar with the ACE in general, my thinking is that I will go back to stock filters with only a 1/4" thick HVAC pre-filter used dry only on the engine side. And just the stock coarse filter by itself on the clutch side. My powersport engine background has all been carb aspirated engines. With carbs which don't rely on sensors you can get away with a lot of things. But with the sensors that are part of life with fuel injection any potential oil mist that can get to the said sensors can raise hell with them. I don't know it for a fact, but I'm guessing that this is the reason why the ACE uses a dry filter element.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much about an oiled pre filter. That pre filtered air travels through the tube to the air box containing the paper filter. You'd have to soak that element with oil to send any through that would contaminate an intake sensor. By that time, the engine would lose enough power that i hope you'd be searching for the cause of the power loss.

K&Ns don't do so good on the MAF or MAP sensors, because they are directly upstream of the sensors.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts