Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of the situation of being out in the outback with no trees or convenient rocks to use with the winch.

My friend down in Nevada just got a simple one and it seemed like a good idea. If you're around trees all the time, probably not interested, but???

$60
Land anchor

and of course the Pull Pals but expensive

Just thinking out loud here...

Hope that helps..

fun..

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for posting this! Looks neat, I've been wondering about this. Looks easy to make. I wonder what the sizes are and if it would fit in the rear cargo box.

·
Registered
61 Posts
looking at Pull Pal, I was hoping for a lower cost alternative in the under $150 price point that was similar. I am sure it could be made for less but how many people really need a winch anchor in real world? So I am keeping my eyes open for used....

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Couple of guys in a dune buggy this summer coulda used one. They had a rear winch but nothing to anchor to when they went over a crest onto a downhill dead end slope. They anchored to my ACE and I pulled them out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah, I'm not sure the smaller, cheaper red one wouldn't work... I know it doesn't take much at the right angle to hold. We used to do "Snow Anchors" with small stuff bags filled with snow and buried in it with the line.. amazing how they did hold.. didn't take much. I'm going to try the red one and see if that will work..

Usually if you have buddy, you can wrap it around somehow and use that as an anchor.
the big Pull Pals are just that, big and expensive and smallest one is the 6K# which would more than enough for us...

Bulky though...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I was thinking of the situation of being out in the outback with no trees or convenient rocks to use with the winch.

My friend down in Nevada just got a simple one and it seemed like a good idea. If you're around trees all the time, probably not interested, but???

$60
Land anchor

and of course the Pull Pals but expensive

Just thinking out loud here...

Hope that helps..

fun..
Keep a piece of 2.5-3.0 ft rebar and a hammer in the storage box and if needing an anchor, just drive the rebar into the ground at an angle away from your atv, hook your winch to it and pull yourself out. Less than 10 dollars including a decent hammer. Nothing fancy is needed to get unstuck, just a little common sense and the basic materials

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm... good point and it is probably easier to pound into the ground... good idea,
Loose sand/gravel might not work as well, less surface area to hold back.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hmm... good point and it is probably easier to pound into the ground... good idea,
Loose sand/gravel might not work as well, less surface area to hold back.

Thanks...
I don't ride anywhere were there is loose sand or gravel and you may be right as far as those two conditions, but overall the rebar works well and is easy to carry without adding a lot of weight. Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ted birdkiller here. I made one similar to the pull pal only call it a pull pig. Have a little talent with a welder.Can do one for about 249 and is all steel. If I could fine some one tell me how to get you a picture on here would be glad to help>

·
Registered
552 Posts
Some newbie welders made me a land anchor like the one pictured above. It doesn't work. The slide hammer isn't strong enough to drive the wedge into the ground, even in soft ground, so a hammer will be necessary. If you need to carry a hammer then the whole top section of this can be removed. I do believe you could drive it into sand and mud with more success. IMG_6136.JPG

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yah, it's a tough one as the longer slide needed makes it now bulky.

I've also seen some that simply use rebar and a hammer/hatchet-back to pound it in. easier to pack, put with the Whip storage. Seems it'd be easier to pound in a little deeper and at an angle, might work as well.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Find a small Bruce anchor. Light weight and can hold pretty good.
I had one in an old IH Scout II.
Capture.JPG

This one is 4.4 lbs. Best holding anchor for mud, clay and sand.
Cost: $19

·
Registered
498 Posts
Biggest I can carry.
Actually I don't carry one now.
Where I ride you are very rarely away from a convenient tree to hook to.
If I rode in the desert alone I would carry one. They make more sense than any of those things above. They fold flat for storage and the more pull you put on them the more they dig.
I did carry one with me when I was into Jeeping and had plenty of room for tools.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts