Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody load their ace sideways. I am looking for a trailer that I can load rzr in than ace behind sideways. Anybody do this and wat size trailer is needed. I am thinking 6-1/2 x 14'???

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Anybody load their ace sideways. I am looking for a trailer that I can load rzr in than ace behind sideways. Anybody do this and wat size trailer is needed. I am thinking 6-1/2 x 14'???
The ACE is going to take up 4 ft loaded sideways, and I don't know what RZR your planning on using, but I'd say even a 570 RZR will be at least as long as the Ace....so your looking at a total length of at least 12-13 ft and more if a bigger RZR is used. My minimum trailer length would be 16 feet and minimum width 7 feet if using one of the shorter RZRs.......IMO A little extra on trailer size is always preferable to one that is not big enough or one that just gets you by

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
We don't really have enough info to answer the question.

For side-loading an ACE, a 6 foot wide deck will work.
The wheel base is just over 5 feet (61.5"), so you might hang over the side of the trailer, but you'll be legal.

The overall length of the original RZR 800 is 102". The 800 S is 106". The 570 is 107". The 900 XP is 108". The 1000 XP is 118". The 1000 XP4 is 146".
So assuming you don't have any extra brush guards, bumpers, custom cages, etc. your bed length will need to be at LEAST 12.5 feet for the smallest RZR, at least 13.5 feet for a mid-sized RZR, and with a 16 feet trailer, an XP4 would be a really tight squeeze.

·
Registered
80 Posts
sides ways 80 inches is going to be a little narrow imo. really for about the same money if you have an ace and a 570 rzr you could get a 6x16 or custom 6x17 load them back to back. that way nothing sticks out over the sides. don't know where your from or where you plan on pulling but some states get really sticky on stuff sticking out over the sides of flat bed trailers.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
some states get really sticky on stuff sticking out over the sides of flat bed trailers.
Do they get sticky about stuff sticking out that still does not exceed legal width, or do they only get upset when the stuff sticking out exceeds legal vehicle width?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I guess we should have asked what you were towing with first or if you have ever towed before. I know this sounds stupid to some here but I drove semi for a living and I seen a crap house full of accidents with trailers loaded wrong. not a fan of side loading. I wont get into all the crap about mountain driving here. its your decision and just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Well, the OP didn't really ask for a comprehensive guide to towing, with opinions about every aspect of it. Just asked about trailer dimensions for a couple of ORVs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
yeah scroundrel some states if the trailer is far wider than the tow vehicle they get a little bent out of shape. wv can get sticky on the back roads mainly because the log haulers drive those roads. not a lot of room.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
No worries, I get where you're coming from.

I guess I can see a hazard with stuff sticking out beyond the vehicle. The driver might not compensate for the extra.
Bit of a tricky situation I suppose. If the sticky-outy-stuff is still less than the legal width limit, my inner rebel has an issue with them getting uppity about it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have an 8' x 18' and drive them both on from the rear. Quicker and easier for the Ace and Ranger.

I can haul a large SUV or 4 large ATV's and a dirt bike or the Ace and Ranger and a ATV, a load of mulch etc.

If you get a larger than necessary trailer it will pay off in the long run and make you hauling jobs easier.

JMHO

·
Registered
259 Posts
I totally agree with you Rockman. However, your little ace looks lonely all by itself on that big trailer of yours behind the dually.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
We don't really have enough info to answer the question.

For side-loading an ACE, a 6 foot wide deck will work.
The wheel base is just over 5 feet (61.5"), so you might hang over the side of the trailer, but you'll be legal.

The overall length of the original RZR 800 is 102". The 800 S is 106". The 570 is 107". The 900 XP is 108". The 1000 XP is 118". The 1000 XP4 is 146".
So assuming you don't have any extra brush guards, bumpers, custom cages, etc. your bed length will need to be at LEAST 12.5 feet for the smallest RZR, at least 13.5 feet for a mid-sized RZR, and with a 16 feet trailer, an XP4 would be a really tight squeeze.
Scoundrel....I side loaded my ACE on a 6 ft wide trailer and we immediately took it off. Way to much ACE hanging off both sides. Yes it will fit if you want to take the chance. For me 7 ft minimum on trailer width for side loading an ACE. On a 6 ft wide the load looked scary to me and my buddy. The ACE is 90 inches long without bumpers and a foot hanging off both sides is a little extreme for my tastes

Reactions: Scoundrel

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Just sold a 6' x 14' side load trailer and IMO, it was NOT large enough for our Ace side loaded (60" x 90") and our Rzr 800 long loaded(60" x 107"). It left NO room for weight adjustment and was pushing the envelope width wise with the Ace. Just ordered a new custom built trailer and went with a 83" deck with 101" slant side rails, by 20' long. Custom built by Big Bubba's in Ogden UT with all the little add on's and changes I wanted to make it my own.

The smallest I would even consider to safely haul your 2 toys is a 7' x 16'. Also, remember, those 2 combined will weigh close to 1800# - 1900#, so you have to have the GVW to carry that and the weight of the trailer.

Reactions: Vandal

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry guys should have been more descriptive with my rzr. It's a rzr 570. So a 16' long trailer I can load both from rear? That would be great and much safer. I build a sweet azz alimunum trailer that 60" x12'. My problem would also be weight. Both machines would be around 2000lbs minimum. I was thinking 72"x16' tandem axle. My truck s a 1500 dodge ram with the hemi. 99percent of my trailering is to camp about an hours drive. Not to bad.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
16 feet would be extremely cramped with both loaded lengthwise, and if you have any extra length due to brush guards, bumpers, winch mounts, etc. that will be a big problem.
ACE: 90 inches, RZR: 107 inches. 197 inches = 16.4 feet. Better to go 18 feet and have some room to spare.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Sorry guys should have been more descriptive with my rzr. It's a rzr 570. So a 16' long trailer I can load both from rear? That would be great and much safer. I build a sweet azz alimunum trailer that 60" x12'. My problem would also be weight. Both machines would be around 2000lbs minimum. I was thinking 72"x16' tandem axle. My truck s a 1500 dodge ram with the hemi. 99percent of my trailering is to camp about an hours drive. Not to bad.
You need more than 72 inches wide for safe trailering of an ACE sideways

·
Registered
80 Posts
never built an al trailer before but cant imagine it weighing more than 1700 lb 7x18 ft with your toys on maybe 3700 or less total. the ram should handle this no problem.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here are my 2 Ace's loaded on a 80"x 12' Triton trailer. I side load the one Ace without front and rear bumpers up front. I have room to move the Ace on the back even further back some more if needed. I have about 8"-12" of deck in front of the side loaded Ace. The main thing with loading like this is to use good straps, no cheap ones! I've put thousands of miles on trailer hauling both of these!
View attachment 2904

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Here are my 2 Ace's loaded on a 80"x 12' Triton trailer. I side load the one Ace without front and rear bumpers up front. I have room to move the Ace on the back even further back some more if needed. I have about 8"-12" of deck in front of the side loaded Ace. The main thing with loading like this is to use good straps, no cheap ones! I've put thousands of miles on trailer hauling both of these!
View attachment 2904

I agree Extreme 80 inches is wide enough, but 72 inches is definitely too narrow. Love your truck....looks almost exactly like mine

Reactions: extremegsxr
1 - 20 of 27 Posts