Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the question. Sold three ATV's, 2011 800efi, 500HO, and 125. Bought the 570 SP. I have added wider rims and tires so sitting at 55" and consider it very stable. Good with 55" width where I ride which is mostly remote Rocky Mountain trails, some rocks, street legal here so some driving around town and to work, no real high speed. Wife really likes it as well and wants one to ride with me so I get to buy another.

I would very much like to hear your ideas, good and bad. Thanks.

Considering:
1. Buy another 570 SP
Pros:
Cost is good
Great visibility around fenders, can see well and feel connected to the trail
Leg room
Great storage
Feels very solid, stable riding with my style
Cons:
Struts in front
Minor issue of no 2nd passenger (More about getting a second person out of the remote country in emergency)
New tech, might be some early adopter issues

2. Buy a RZR 900 XC
Pros:
Turf mode - much easier driving on street
Power galore but trail tuned
Fox shocks and excellent suspension
Comes stock with nice rims/tires that I would likely buy anyway
LED lighting
Also 55" wide
EBS included
Cons:
Almost twice the price
Paying for Polaris GPS combo unit I wouldn't normally buy
Left seat driving, less visibility,

3. Buy a RZR 900 S
Pros:
Great clearance w/ long arms and drop
Really impressive suspension
Power galore but trail tuned
Nice tires stock
Cons:
Almost as expensive at XC
60" wide
Left seat driving again
No EBS
No turf mode

4. Buy a RZR 570
Pros:
Price is decent
EBS stock
50" width
Cons:
When adding the size/weight would prefer more power
Left seat driving
Possibly no turf mode. Difficult to confirm

Okay crew, what say you?

·
Registered
109 Posts
You said the wife wants an ace to ride so get another ace. If you get an RZR she is most likely gonna just ride as a passenger and may lose interest in riding. With her own machine she may get hooked. All speculation get what you want my opinion.

Reactions: Nomad570

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have specified. If I get something other than the Ace, she gets the current Ace.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh I see. You still my run the risk of her just wanting to ride shotgun in the RZR. I doubt it though the ACE's are so fun to drive you may have a hard time pryin her out of it. Also think she may like the idea of you both driving the same machine. That being said the RZR is an awesome machine tough decision.

·
Registered
109 Posts
OK enlighten me what the heck is Turf mode?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It basically engages a single drive wheel so there is no drag like you would see from a locked differential. I test drove a 900 S yesterday and it lurches on dry pavement. I have read there is a bit of tire and vehicle wear that comes from doing it often. You see it mentioned a lot with utility vehicles where they don't want to tear up grass, hence turf mode. That's my very layperson definition.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very cool tech thanks for the info. I asked my wife what she thought about your situation. She said she would want the new machine she said she would feel more like it was hers. So if it were me I would be forced to get the ace decision made for me. In your case your wife may not care as much in which go with yer gut. Solid advice is to do what she wants happy wife happy life.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Solid advice is to do what she wants happy wife happy life.
Always sound advice. We established a rule many years ago that resolves this. What's mine is hers and what's hers is hers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Always sound advice. We established a rule many years ago that resolves this. What's mine is hers and what's hers is hers.
Ha ha very funny.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
That's a tough call.
Given that 55" is an OK width for you, can we assume that longer wheel base is also not an issue?
If you do a significant amount of pavement riding, and the Turf Mode can be push-button disabled, that sounds like a really nice feature.
The left seat driving is something you get used to. Took me a little bit when I bought the RZR, but I can now accurately judge where the right side of the vehicle is in trail situations.
The nicer suspension in the XC, and not having front struts, is really helpful.

Being able to haul someone else along is a very useful feature of the RZR, which I have used on several occasions, two of which involved injuries that would have made getting the rider out very difficult otherwise.

If your wife has the riding bug, you probably don't have to worry about her settling for passenger seat all of the time, but if you like your wife (I'll assume you do), then having her ride with you sometimes could be very nice as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point on the length. There is a bout 15" difference. Probably manageable on this end. I suspect any time the wife rides she will be driving, probably the Ace. She does not passenger all that well as she likes to drive all the things. I think I am leaning towards the XC. The diff doesn't bark loud on the Ace but it sure does on the S. Turf mode might just tip me over.

It helps hearing the observations of folks that have been there. I don't have any friends locally that have knowledge in this area. Makes this forum a great asset.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good point on the length. There is a bout 15" difference. Probably manageable on this end. I suspect any time the wife rides she will be driving, probably the Ace. She does not passenger all that well as she likes to drive all the things. I think I am leaning towards the XC. The diff doesn't bark loud on the Ace but it sure does on the S. Turf mode might just tip me over.

It helps hearing the observations of folks that have been there. I don't have any friends locally that have knowledge in this area. Makes this forum a great asset.
You are a lucky man to have a wife that enjoys orving with you. Consider yourself blessed.

Reactions: gmck154x4

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You also mentioned driving to/from work sometimes. Would you be carrying large things? ACE has decent bed space but SxS means you could use the passenger area for big things.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have turf mode on my ranger and I really don't want to do without it on any sxs multi use vehicle. I use it almost all the time on the trail and here on the local streets and in the yard of course. It is not just for the grass. It makes trail riding more fun and smoother all around. The main thing I dislike about the Ace is lack of t-m.

Polaris makes a 570 RZR LE model with turf mode, EPS and EBS, but the 900 XC with t-m would be the one to have IMHO.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Greybeard sold his Ace and bought a RZR 900 XC because of the turf mode. He drives on pavement quite a bit and the turf mode makes that doable. It is a sweet machine. It has a nice soft ride as compared to the Ace. However, the extra length does make for a longer turning radius than the Ace. A couple of weeks ago he had to remove a small tree on one of my Ace trails so that he could make a turn without tearing up his roof. On uneven terrain, the wider roof can be an issue when trees are close to the trail. Polaris states that the XC is an acronym for cross country. Greybeard claims that it actually an acronym for extra cost.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm a tech geek. I don't really carry anything to work. Everything I use is in the cloud. Good point on the extra room though. Certainly worth keeping in mind.

You also mentioned driving to/from work sometimes. Would you be carrying large things? ACE has decent bed space but SxS means you could use the passenger area for big things.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A horn and a mirror above stock. That is all.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have 2 polaris ACE's. If I could afford it, I would own an ACE and a 50" wide RZR. I got hurt ATVing last summer and I road as a passenger on a RZR with a broken wrist 4 hours back to my campsite. Having the capability to transport an injured person back to civilization is a nice feature of the rzr.

As an ACE owner, I'm more comfortable and less worried about injury now. Because the ACE is a Poo product, I'm more worried about breaking down now instead of getting hurt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up buying the RZR 900 Trail. After our first few trips out my wife has decided it is hers. She really loves it. My riding buddy has now traded in his 800 Sportsman for the 900 XC. It appears we are all solidly in the UTV camp now. No breakdowns yet on anything. I will say the RZR has more room to work on things. Very easy to service. No problem keeping up in the Ace though.

Since it is early season we have done some pretty deep water crossings without incident. Everything is handling very well. No regrets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts