Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out the reason this week, why I have been saying I saw no need for the engine brake as they hold the hills great without. It seems that unbeknownst to me I have an EB courtesy of Polaris. Rode this week with a Polaris tech and he was looking over the Ace and told me that I have several add-ons that I was unaware of. He told me that because I bought this directly from Polaris, that I probably have what they call a "test mule" in the industry.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Hah!

Hope that doesn't bite you in the butt later when you go to repair something and it's different, or parts are not listed for it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Texan, I am jealous. With the terrain that I ride in it would be very helpful to have engine braking. I am waiting for one that also has turf mode like the European models. BTW, I too am a native Texan. My gg-grandfather was in the battle of San Jacinto and was at the drawing of the black beans.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is exactly why I put the header I did. Been there done that, with a "program" car once and it did bite me several times. It is great to have the EB and going down STEEP rock trails without ever touching the brakes is awesome, BUT what else lurks in there that I don't know about......:)

Also found out it will tow 1000# for miles with ease. Friends from Quebec were with us over in Yuma and his Can Am 800 2 up broke down. I towed him 24 miles back to the house here in Wellton at speeds mostly in the 25-30 mph range on dirt and sand roads. The more I ride this little goat, the more I like it and the more its capability shows itself.

Hah!

Hope that doesn't bite you in the butt later when you go to repair something and it's different, or parts are not listed for it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Guys Question,
I sometimes keep my clutch engaged or engage it with a little rpm when going down steep inclines in both high or low range.
I stay off the brakes and she holds her ground, very well controlled using engine rpm only in both 2wd and 4wd .4WD may not even be engaging.

What would be the difference on the engine brake.?

·
Registered
525 Posts
EBS is more aggressive in down shifting which means it holds back more than the non EBS, and it has a one way bearing on the drive clutch which keeps slowing the vehicle all the way until it gets to idle speed.

Seems that most people like EBS but OVERALL, for ME, I don't want it. I had EBS on my 850 Sportsman and it would make the rear wheels slide and was dangerous on steep slick hills. M hated it. That XP had power steering, rode like a cadillac, ran like a scalded @$$ ape, had a long wheelbase and was super stable, but she would rather ride her '06 Sportsman 400 than the 850 because of it. EBS also slows me down too much on corners because you have to feather the throttle to keep your speed. We would put it in neutral on slick hills but that can be a nuisance. I don't know if you have ridden at Black Mountain in E KY but coming down the main trail from the top (gravel road) in high range it would slide and try to come around on the steeper parts on a dry road.
But I am sure the ACE wouldn't be as extreme because it is a larger vehicle and a smaller motor.

EBS is great for normal riding like in our big group when we are going slow on easy trails. It makes it effortless, you hardly ever have to touch the brake.

·
Registered
252 Posts
EBS is great in a true 4 wheel drive ATV/UTB but not in Polaris' on demand 4 wheel drive system. From watching videos, it appears that EBS only works on the rear wheels on Poo products. Other manufacturers with real full time 4x4 don't have the rear wheel skidding issue with EBS. EBS on my Yamaha ATV worked great and never had issues going down slicks. However, glad my Ace doesn't have it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
EBS is great in a true 4 wheel drive ATV/UTB but not in Polaris' on demand 4 wheel drive system. From watching videos, it appears that EBS only works on the rear wheels on Poo products. Other manufacturers with real full time 4x4 don't have the rear wheel skidding issue with EBS. EBS on my Yamaha ATV worked great and never had issues going down slicks. However, glad my Ace doesn't have it.
I had it on my 2013 Sportsman 500 Camo edition and I liked it most of the time but on loose terrain or rocks it had a very bad tendancy to lock the rear wheels and slide until you gave it some throttle which would disengage the EBS. My Ace has plenty of engine braking with out EBS, just by blipping the throttle to keep the clutch engaged, but EBS has its place but not on loose stuff, and can be dangerous at times

Reactions: Dakace79
1 - 9 of 9 Posts