Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the flip-up windshield on my RZR for several years, and I love it.
It makes a really big difference in cabin temperature, and it's a lot easier to adjust the windshield than to add/remove layers of clothing.

So when I bought the ACE in February of 2014, naturally I looked around for a flip-up windshield. And nobody had one for sale.
I figured "Well, it's early days yet." as very few aftermarket accessories were available.
But now it's November of 2014, and there are aftermarket accessories all over the place, but still no flip-up windshield (that I have found, anyway).

So I decided to make my own.
First I ordered an incomplete hardware kit from a RZR flip-up windshield, cheap. I think I paid $50 for it.
The only thing missing is the handle assembly that holds the windshield closed and in the half-open position.

Then I ordered an EMP ACE windshield.
It required a bit of cutting, some drilling, some modification of the RZR brackets, and some fine adjustment, but I now have a working flip-up windshield for my ACE.

I'm not entirely happy with my replacement for the handle that was missing from the RZR kit.
The rubber straps from EMP hold the windshield closed fine, but require attaching both sides, and it's not super easy to do it.
The hold-open strap I worked up is nothing short of a hack job. It's a rubber-coated metal strap with holes in either end. I pulled the core out of a plastic pop rivet, and replaced the core with a thumbscrew-type bolt.
So to hold the window in the half-open position, I rotate the metal strap up, put the thumbscrew through the hole in the strap and screw it into the plastic pop rivet, which is going through the windshield.
It works, and it takes about 30 seconds to do. Maybe longer with gloves on.
But it's not as good as the handle setup that the RZR windshield has, which can be done one-handed with gloves on in about 5 seconds, while rolling down the trail.
I just talked with EMP, and I am ordering JUST the handle from their RZR flip-up windshield kit. That should complete the setup nicely.
The EMP handle looks a little more complicated and less easy to manage one-handed with gloves on while rolling, but since Polaris won't sell just the handle assembly, this is a good substitute.

I'll post up the new handle installed photo when that arrives.

View attachment 2076
View attachment 2077
View attachment 2078
View attachment 2079
View attachment 2080
View attachment 2081
View attachment 2082
View attachment 2083
View attachment 2084
View attachment 2085
View attachment 2086
View attachment 2087

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the EMP handle, had to fabricate a little extension bracket to get the windshield in the right position when closed.
It works pretty well. I'll be able to move it from closed to partially open one-handed with gloves on while driving.
Not sure if I'll be able to squeeze the release to go full open with one hand with gloves on while driving.
Might need to stop for a few seconds to do that.
But still way better than messing with the rubber straps on both sides and a screw thing in the center.

View attachment 2128 View attachment 2129

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Make sure you have some type of replacement pin for the 2 pivot points where the handle attaches to the windshield bracket. They are cheap china junk and EMP will NOT sell them or recommend a replacement. All they will offer you is a $30 kit to replace the entire handle. I personally will NOT recommend any EMP product after the way they treated me and what they put in writing, over those 2 pins in my windshield.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Did yours break?
Which point do you mean:
1. Where the handle attaches to the U-bracket on the instrument cover?
2. The pivot point in the center of the handle?
3. The pivot pin nearest where the handle attaches to the windshield?

I'm sure I can come up with steel replacements without too much trouble, and might do that proactively if they're prone to breaking.
Sucks that they're weak, but doesn't sound like anything that can't be fixed with a quick trip to the hardware store.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
#3 - the 2 pivot points at the windshield bracket itself.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could tell me scoundrel what part number is for your front bag?
Polaris Part# 2876602

Amazon.com: New Genuine Pure Polaris ATV Sportsman XP Front Cargo Bag / Pt # 2876602: Automotive

NOTE: This bag is NOT designed to fit on an ACE. I threw away the normal fasteners and screwed it down to the lid of the front storage box. If you do this, and your ACE does not have the retaining cable to keep your front box from opening too far, it would be VERY easy for you to snap the hinges on the front box lid. Even with a retaining cable on one side, I could still see the other side snapping. So IF you buy this bag and attach it to your front lid, I highly recommend making some retaining cables, or being extremely careful every time you open the front box lid. I snapped the hinges off of my front box once. It's about $70 for a new lid.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
#3 - the 2 pivot points at the windshield bracket itself.
So I had a look, and I see that the pins seem to be made from the same composite material as the rest of the handle, and I can see how those might wear down, get loose, and wiggle out - or just plain snap if they are weak.

Unfortunately, it does not look easy to replace them with a small bolt and nylon locknut pair, because there is not much clearance in there when the windshield is fully closed.
But it does look like I could put a small bolt through there with the head on the inside, attach a nylon locknut on the outside, and then grind the head almost flat, leaving maybe the thickness of a washer to hold it in.

But I don't want to press those pins out now (if it ain't broke...). So here is my strategy:
1. Put the rubber straps back on the sides. I will use them during transport and when the windshield is fully closed. They'll hold it stable and take the shock off of those pins. That's probably a really god idea anyway, when trailering the ACE - especially since I sometimes trailer it sideways.
2. If/when those pins break, I can use the rubber straps to keep the windshield closed until I get the rig home, and then I can put the bolt/nuts in there.

Maybe you just got a fluke bad one, where there was an air bubble in the pin.
That happens occasionally, even with steel bolts.

If I didn't use anything that has ever broken on someone and been reported on a forum, I would not be off-roading at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts