Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ace back window.jpg Ace front windshield.jpg

Well after some thought I decided to try and make my own windshield and back window for my 570 today . So I went to lowes and bought materials and about three hours later I was finished and very pleased with the way they turned out. The pictures were after a test ride to see how they worked and they did the job got dust on them but none on me and kept the wind off of me. With the front and rear window the engine heat made the seating area warm which is nice for winter riding. I had a half windshield that I used as a template for the dash pod and reused the lock and ride clamps , looks very close to factory. All in all spent about 130 in materials ( the plexi glass was the most expensive portion). I like building my own things so I have that satisfaction as well. Now to fab up some doors :):)

·
Registered
131 Posts
AW, nice job! That is really cool for a couple of hours and $130 in materials. I want to try to make a flip up like Scoundrel did eventually. I can get scratch resistant lexan sheet that I'm going to try and make a windshield out of until I can work out the flip up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Great job!!! I just finished building mine as well.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Nice work. I'm glad you were able to do it. Much more satisfying doing it yourself

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice. Are those lock and ride clamps on the back?
Ouachita, they are 1 1/2 conduit clamps they are the same size as factory with the same stand off as factory. once the weather clears I can take a closer pic to show it better. they are only a couple of bucks. I plan to try spraying them with the black poly coat to see how it works, but it does not look bad with the chrome color

·
Registered
41 Posts
backflow, are you talking about the run-of-the-mill conduit hangers like this?
I use them a lot for attachments to grille guards and push bumpers. Virtually every hardware store, hometown & big-box alike, has them under one brand or another. Electrical supply houses usually have (or can get) stainless steel ones, too. They work great.

I use a rubberized spray paint on them ... just scuff-up 'em up good so the stuff sticks better. Again, this stuff is available almost everywhere in stores or on-line. It also works to black-out chrome badges & emblems.

All metal clamps will bite into pipe/tubing paint and potentially create a rust source. I cured that with a couple wraps of self-bonding silicone wrap.

Nice thing about the clamps, paint, & wrap is that they're readily available under various brands almost everywhere. Might want to check if any of our sponsor vendors may carry them. I just set the links 'cuz a picture says 1K words.

I thought about doing the windshield thing to mine, when I get it. Good thinking on the knob-screws for quick dis/assembly. Thanks for the tip & pix.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
backflow, are you talking about the run-of-the-mill conduit hangers like this?
I use them a lot for attachments to grille guards and push bumpers. Virtually every hardware store, hometown & big-box alike, has them under one brand or another. Electrical supply houses usually have (or can get) stainless steel ones, too. They work great.

I use a rubberized spray paint on them ... just scuff-up 'em up good so the stuff sticks better. Again, this stuff is available almost everywhere in stores or on-line. It also works to black-out chrome badges & emblems.

All metal clamps will bite into pipe/tubing paint and potentially create a rust source. I cured that with a couple wraps of self-bonding silicone wrap.

Nice thing about the clamps, paint, & wrap is that they're readily available under various brands almost everywhere. Might want to check if any of our sponsor vendors may carry them. I just set the links 'cuz a picture says 1K words.

I thought about doing the windshield thing to mine, when I get it. Good thinking on the knob-screws for quick dis/assembly. Thanks for the tip & pix.
yes that is what I used, thanks for your tip on the silicone wrap. I got back to late this evening to take the up close pictures but will take them in the morning.I got the turn knobs at Lowes I will post the part number tomorrow also if anyone wants to use the idea.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are the pictures of the back window showing the 1.5" conduit clamps I used, the turn knobs are 5/16 found them in the bolt section at Lowes. I also added a picture of the Polaris lock and ride clamp to show the stand off of the front window compared to the rear DSCN3252.JPG DSCN3253.JPG DSCN3254.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts