Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased new Maxxis Zilla tires for my Ace 570 and after the first ride I am very happy. I chose 27x9x12 for the front and 27x11x12 for rear. I chose this size as everything I read said they run close to 1" smaller, they fit great and give the machine a nice little lift over original tires. I did a lot of research for the best tires for my riding environment and these seem like they were a good choice for me. One of the largest factors was weigh, I did not want to loose power especially for take-off and drifting around corners. These tires weigh 20.3 front and 23.4 rear which was by far the lightest I could find which would also do well in the sloppy mud and trails. I took them out on Thursday and I didn't notice any loss of power, I could still drift but it was a little more work as they did dig in quite a bit more, I suspect my drifting will get be a little better with more practice and I get some more experience with the new tires. I only got stuck once but it was more my fault than the machine or tires, I was following too closely through a long mud pit, the person in front of me got stuck, I lost momentum and I was stuck. The other error I made was I forgot to put it in AWD when I got stuck, I ran the whole day in 2wd as the tires didn't need AWD(I drive this same trail 1-2 times a month and am in AWD about 50%) I didn't even clue in until after I got out, brain cramp but a good testament to the tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
So I'm curious... Total width with new tires....

Everyone keeps changing tires which is kewl, but when you do, doesn't it change the 50" wide thing... I noted above AA, that you said they were 1" smaller... I'm not sure if that means compared to the other wider new tires or down to 49"..??

My main reason for getting an ACE would be to trip along the under 50" trails, so adding new mod tires would change that and defeat the purpose for me... which really means, heheh, I need to stop looking at new tires....

Just wondering what the general feeling is... is everyone not concerned with the 50" thing and just don't care or ??

Thanks, Just a Wandering Mind that Wants to Know...

fun..

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
This being a global forum, there are lots of people that don't have width restrictions.
If you want to stay under 50" you can still get better tires, you just need to stock with 25x8x12 (front) and 25x10x12 (rear) and stock wheels. You can also do better wheels if they have the right offset (get some Polaris wheels like I did).

You just can't go with big tires and fancy aftermarket wheels and stay under 50.

·
Registered
525 Posts
There are no 50" trails in any of the areas I ride. I have never seen one. My Ace is 53"+ and will likely get wider in the future and possibly a longer wheelbase.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Great tires and they should do you well.
we are lucky to have the trails out here actually be 50" wide if they are listed as such.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scoundrel, good point, thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know the actual width as where I live there are no width restrictions. I will measure my width when I get a chance. What I mean't by running 1" smaller is the Zilla 27 would really run closer in size to the average 26" tire almost the opposite of the Big Horns which ride a little taller than stated height according to most owners.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great looking tires!

I guess we are lucky in Arkansas. ORV here includes side by sides:

What is an Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV)?

For purposes of travel management, the Ouachita National Forest has defined an OHV as one of the following:

1. An all-terrain vehicle that travels on three or more low-pressure tires; has handle bar steering; is less than or equal to 50 inches in width; and has a seat to be straddled by the operator;

2. A vehicle with a seat or saddle and designed to travel with two wheels in contact with the ground; or

3. A vehicle 64 inches or less in width, designed to travel on four or more low-pressure tires that has a bed for cargo.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Glad to hear you like them! Those are the tires I'm planning on gettin for mine. I'll probably go with stock size though. I have the lil brother to the 570 and don't wanna go any bigger than stock.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fordsc - I understand you wanting to keep stock size, however, do yourself a favour and look at the 26" for 2 reasons. The 26" will be close to the same size as the Carlisle 25" and if you drop under 26" the lug size is .75" v.s. 1.19" in 26"+. Whichever size you get I'm sure you will be happy.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Rockman Quote My Ace is 53"+ and will likely get wider in the future and possibly a longer wheelbase.

How are you going to achieve a longer wheelbase?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Different a-arms.
The fronts might be available already for a Sportsman which would fit the Ace.
I think there is a possibility they might be available for the rear soon. If not I could do it myself if I ever got the wants bad enough, but at my age I don't do much fabrication work any more.
It would be fairly easy to scoot the rear back 3 inches by modifying the stock arms and 5 is probably doable with custom arms. Three in the rear is all I would want probably.
Two inch forward is kind of the standard for front arms.
These things already climb like a goat but 55 wide by 67 long would be even better.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just measured with the new tires and I am 51.25"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you have a picture from the rear. Was wondering how much clearance between top a arm and tire. Do you think 28's would fit. Maxxis Mudzilla cones 28-8 and 28-10 wide.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey AbbyAce, that is exactly the tire and size I was thinking of. My concern was for rub on the front. It looks tight in the picture you posted. Does it rub at all? Even 'some' rub is unacceptable for me, so I am curious how well it clears.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hey AbbyAce, that is exactly the tire and size I was thinking of. My concern was for rub on the front. It looks tight in the picture you posted. Does it rub at all? Even 'some' rub is unacceptable for me, so I am curious how well it clears.
I have the same tires and sizes on mine with itp 4+3 off-set wheels front and rear with no rubbing issues at all. I have pics posted in the "post pictures of your ace" thread. I have more clearance between the front struts and the tires than abby ace has with the stock wheels.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Different a-arms.
The fronts might be available already for a Sportsman which would fit the Ace.
I think there is a possibility they might be available for the rear soon. If not I could do it myself if I ever got the wants bad enough, but at my age I don't do much fabrication work any more.
It would be fairly easy to scoot the rear back 3 inches by modifying the stock arms and 5 is probably doable with custom arms. Three in the rear is all I would want probably.
Two inch forward is kind of the standard for front arms.
These things already climb like a goat but 55 wide by 67 long would be even better.
ok i uderstand the forward arms that are 1.5-2 inches however even if you have custom a-arms made for the rears the tranny is in the same spot and much more that the 2 inch would i believe put the CV in to much of a bind i see no way to get the 5 inches your thinking about... but im sure with heavy modifications someone could figure out a way but i dont think just arms would get you that much

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I just purchased new Maxxis Zilla tires for my Ace 570 and after the first ride I am very happy. I chose 27x9x12 for the front and 27x11x12 for rear. I chose this size as everything I read said they run close to 1" smaller, they fit great and give the machine a nice little lift over original tires. I did a lot of research for the best tires for my riding environment and these seem like they were a good choice for me. One of the largest factors was weigh, I did not want to loose power especially for take

I'm glad you like your tires. I really believe you cant go wrong with any of the Maxxis line of tires. They wear well, ride well, and have a tread configuration for everybody's style of riding....and priced reasonably. and are extremely durable. Enjoy Abby

1 - 20 of 21 Posts