Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any reasonable thoughts on how to keep the Ace from tipping when cornering hard? And no, slowing down is NOT an reasonable answer! ;)

I tipped her over again this weekend. No harm done, but I've tipped it twice and nearly did three other times. Eventually something is going to break (hopefully not me).

In all seriousness, if it's just that I'm driving too spirited, then I'll have to live with that (and consider a 4/5 point harness). I'm just wondering if there is anything suspension-wise that can be done, that won't make it stiff as a go-cart.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You can disconnect the rear sway bar, which will give it more body roll.
However, if you don't also put stiffer springs back there, you might not be happy with how that feels.
You can go with less aggressive tires so you slide more easily.
You can add spacers for extra width, if the trails you ride on allow for that.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Have you tried some wheel spacers yet? The wider stance will help theoretically, providing you do not outdrive the wider stance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Walker evans makes a set of after market shocks for the ace. the rear is 16 way adjustable and the fronts say to be a big improvement over stock. That and a combination of what scoundrel and stubby said would probably be the only options you have. Unless you wanted to go with a long travel kit with all new a-arms, suspension and axles all around which is gonna be pricey plus i dont think anyone out there makes one yet! JMO

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would suggest starting with the cheaper option of wheel spacers and go from there. A set of 2" spacers can make you 4" wider. At least in the rear anyways. Having the wider wheelbase will distribute some of your force over a wider track which will allow you to slide more as opposed to tipping.

How fast are you traveling while cornering that causes you to flip? Ive gone well into the mid 30's on mine doing a 90 degree turn with no issues...

·
Registered
447 Posts
I totally agree with wheel spacers for your tipping problem. My Ace tipped once and I was on the verge several other times and very uncomfortable sliding around corners. I added 2" wheels spacers and new wheels for a wider stance. I am now at 58 inches in the rear wheels and have not tipped with the extra width. There are no facilities with width restrictions near me so the extra width is not a problem. For me, extra width on the top would be much more of a problem. I ride some trails that have very uneven ground with trees near the trails. The Ace tilts a lot to the side and without the narrow top it would hit the trees. I have a friend that has a RZR 900 XC that is only 55 inches wide. He has tipped his RZR once on uneven ground on my trails and damaged the top scraping trees on uneven ground. I could not ride my trails if I had a cage that was wider at the top than the factory cage. It is all about how you ride and where you ride. There is no single "best" for everyone.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I totally agree with wheel spacers for your tipping problem. My Ace tipped once and I was on the verge several other times and very uncomfortable sliding around corners. I added 2" wheels spacers and new wheels for a wider stance. I am now at 58 inches in the rear wheels and have not tipped with the extra width. There are no facilities with width restrictions near me so the extra width is not a problem. For me, extra width on the top would be much more of a problem. I ride some trails that have very uneven ground with trees near the trails. The Ace tilts a lot to the side and without the narrow top it would hit the trees. I have a friend that has a RZR 900 XC that is only 55 inches wide. He has tipped his RZR once on uneven ground on my trails and damaged the top scraping trees on uneven ground. I could not ride my trails if I had a cage that was wider at the top than the factory cage. It is all about how you ride and where you ride. There is no single "best" for everyone.
One of the reasons I haven't widened my rig yet is because of the tight trails around me as well. Im running offset 28" Swamp lites so Im already about 2" wider over stock in the front and rear but find myself rubbing (or running down) just about every tree that is close to the edge of the trail already. Adding the spacers, while more stable, will make it more difficult in the tighter trails for me.

Im not concerned about going fast around corners or powersliding at high speeds with my Ace as that's what I have the Warrior for. The more aggressive driving machine takes those beatings cause that's what it was built for. The Ace is more for when the wife joins me on the trail as we can stick together and be more technical rather than recklessly driving.

Its all in your usage I guess..

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The trails I've been riding lately are pretty narrow but I could probably widen a few inches without too much trouble. Around here most of the trails are mostly sand or a combo of sand and soil, so it's generally pretty soft. Most run paddle wheels. I'd like to ride rougher rockier trails, but there just isn't any without a good 10 hour drive into the mountains.

Sounds like spacers and maybe some sand wheels are my best bet. Kinda been eyeballing something like the RP Advanced Delta FX.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I would suggest starting with the cheaper option of wheel spacers and go from there. A set of 2" spacers can make you 4" wider. At least in the rear anyways. Having the wider wheelbase will distribute some of your force over a wider track which will allow you to slide more as opposed to tipping.

How fast are you traveling while cornering that causes you to flip? Ive gone well into the mid 30's on mine doing a 90 degree turn with no issues...

Quote :How fast are you traveling while cornering that causes you to flip? Ive gone well into the mid 30's on mine doing a 90 degree turn with no issues...

Please post a video of this. I would love to see an ACE make a 90 degree turn at 35 mph

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maybe not quite 90 but when I do drive a bit recklessly its usually on loosepack where the machine can slide around a little more freely.

I could only imagine traveling that fast and just cranking the wheel on the likes of blacktop or hardpack. What could possibly go wrong?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All - I'm a newby to the ATV scene and a new owner of an ACE 570. My 30 acre property is on the side of a mountain and some side hill driving is necessary for me to get around my property. Does anyone know the tip angle of the ACE if one is just crawling along the side of a hill? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'd be surprised if anyone calculated the angle, but it would be pointless to measure it anyway. there are so many other factors, like your weight, how much stuff you have attached to the ACE (accessories, tools, gear, etc), tire size, sidewall stiffness, shock preload setting, whether you had just hit a bump on the ground, forward momentum, and many others.

You could try and figure out the ball park by stringing a winch line between your roll cage and a buddy anchoring you on the uphill side with his ATV, and start tipping it until the line goes taut.

·
Registered
259 Posts
After some seat time experience in your own ace, you will start getting a feel for the upside wheels coming up, and then be able to make corrections.

·
Registered
93 Posts
One of the big problem I see for the tipping problem you have, is your are running 28 tires if you would go down to the stock tires 25 you would lower the center of gravity and cure some of the tipping problem. If you use spacer it will load the wheel bearing and it will fail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Scoundrel and Stubby - I have my first ride with the local ATV club this weekend. Maybe they can give me a hand to determine my "Oh Sh** - I'm going over on my side" range. Cheers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a cheap inclinometer for that very reason. Testing out angles in my yard, straight across side angle, 15 degrees is ok. I drive a 32 hp machine and am on the north side of 290. I haven't pushed it to the point of tipping, but weight shifting definitely helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did the same thing in mine.. came in way to hot for a corner.. dump right on it's side. I already had the 2" wheel spacers at the time. But I know I was over driving. I am going to have to look into those Walker Evens shocks..
and please tell me where I can get information on where I could pick up a long travel kit with all new a-arms, suspension and axles all around.. (hopefully someday!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can disconnect the rear sway bar, which will give it more body roll.
However, if you don't also put stiffer springs back there, you might not be happy with how that feels.
I know this is an old post so sorry but it came up for me so it will probably come up for others as recommended reading. I find it hard to believe that nobody in the 16 posts following after this one disputed this statement?

If you are trying to avoid tipping over in a high-speed turn this is the opposite of what you want to do. Literally the point of sway bars is to keep the vehicle flatter in a fast turn like this so that you don't roll over. Disconnecting it will have the opposite effect of what you want and make it roll over easier in a high-speed turn.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts