Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to mount a good GPS, not a boat GPS, on my Ace. I looked all over and didn't see any other GPS threads.
I am leaning to Garmin cause they are so user friendly, but not required. I don't know much about any land based GPS's.
I'd like one that has GPS map view and something like a birds eye view(roads, trails, creeks, rivers, cut overs... ect.).
Does anyone have one mounted yet? Or know of a good brand and model that can be mounted to the roll bar or steering column?
And one that has at least a 4" screen. My close eyesight is getting worse as I get older.
I have used the Garmin 76C in the past for water and on land, but no good land views on it. It is so old, they no longer have updated or even support the software any longer, and the screen is kind of small.
It must be waterproof, very rugged and have a 12 vdc plug.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Garmin model 50 are what I use. 5" screen and lifetime maps updated for free. Walmart.com or Amazon. I've bought 3 of the reconditioned ones for under 100 bucks each. Still going strong. You can use the Fun Treks Sim card with them as well. X2 on the Ram mounts. Great pieces.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I also use the PN-40.
It's not an awesome GPS but I have mounts and chargers for it, and the external power connection is waterproof.
That's a big drawback to many devices that are "waterproof" - if you open the charging port so you can supply power while using it, it's not waterproof anymore.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have a Lowrance marine grade waterproof boat unit with a 5"screen on my Ranger, but it is too big for the ACE.

I am using a smaller Lowrance car unit on it with satellite maps that I downloaded from Lowrance back years ago but it is not waterproof and is old and the charging socket is a little loose.

When it bites the dust I will buy another Lowrance marine grade boat unit with a smaller screen that uses the same topo maps I have in my large unit. I have found that Lowrance units are more user friendly than my buddies Garmins and my old handheld Garmin with their illogical menu groupings plus the Lowrance units are waterproof and have large screens and have off road topo and satellite maps available.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry it took so long to reply back. I work where there is little to no internet access for weeks at a time.

I went by Bass Pro and checked out the "land gps" section. The water resistant Garmins look good, you just have to get the one with the "T" in the model number.
The T stands for Topo mapping.

I also saw the Lowrance that is made for Polaris. It is more expensive that the regular 5 series Lowrance, so I am thinking of going with the regular Lowrance, if I go that route. only thing is it is physically about 4 times the size of the Garmin and only has a 1" bigger screen.

I never heard of some of the Delorme brands on here. I checked them out, but they don't have many to sell anywhere around here or on the internet. They look scarce. The downside to these is the screen size. I really don't want to run around the woods with my reading glasses on. The prices on these do look great though. And they have some great reviews, except for charging and battery usage.

I need a decent GPS for finding traps set in areas I am not familiar with. And for marking the edges of areas I have permission to hunt/trap in so I don't inadvertently trespass on someone else's land.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I borrowed a Lowrance 5 series to test it out. It was a little too big physically, but I liked the size of the screen and the buttons.
Not a fan of touch screen yet.
The Lowrance 5 series is the same as the Polaris GPS.
I also tried several Garmin's that had both buttons and touch screens. I settled for the Montana 600T.
I liked the topo and birds eye features. I liked the size of the screen too.
I will just have to get used to touch screen.
I prefer to touch a button instead of going thru a menu on the touch screen.
I mounted on the side but my elbow hit it, I also mounted next to the rear view mirror but only liked this one spot.
I can also plug in the charger real easy from this area.
I have an old Garmin 76C, which I love, but the software isn't supported by anything older than Windows XP, so I can't upload and download to and from the GPS any longer.

I think this one was the best fit for my Ace.

Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part Wheel
Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Car Steering wheel
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Wheel Auto part
Vehicle Steering wheel Car Auto part Wheel
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The touch screen Garmin isn't so good in rain. The screen gets full of water, when I go to wipe it off, it changes the screen.
It also fogs up from time to time. Wish they still made the old 76C that has up to date software.
I do like the battery time on the new Garmin Montana. I ran around for about 8 hours and I still had 70" battery life left.
And it's rechargeable. My old 76C used AA batteries.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Kewl, I was looking at the Tablets that everyone is using on the bigger RZR machines and thought it "Might??" work, but the size 8" would be to big as noted. I then looked at the Montana and seeing the about set up it looks like a good one.

So thanks. I might use a smaller tablet so i can switch between buggies when that happens. Luckily still have some time till the '16s ACEs comes out... Not sure on the Polaris Dash one, but might work.

Thanks for the info..
One toy at a time, sigh, and then the accessories... Gawd help us..

fun.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fpoole, that is what I do. I use a Google nexus 7 tablet with some map software I bought in the Google play store and it is vreat. It isn't waterproof but I can watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force in between rides. The battery will last all day and I just put it in a zip lock bag too keep water away.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks ..Mud. heheh,
I was looking at the smaller tablets with the RAM stands thinking that might be way cheaper and easier to move files around and transfer than the Montana, or I'd keep the Montana as a backup.

I have all the software, more than I need, google play (Android Galx 3 & Nex 10) etc... I just need to get the ACE and see what size will fit where.

They do have containers/whatever they're called, for water/dust proof but as you say an ziplock will work if tighten up a little... so, LOL, still a work in progress..

I have an older hiking Garmin 62 stc or ?? but too small to see. Montana is bigger, but not sure big enough for these failing eyes that refuses to wear glasses in the day time..

Thanks Mud, I'll take a look-see at the 7-inch, it might just be the right size. I was thinking of drop down/fold up from the front roof, like a sun visor...

we'll see..

thanks..

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a Garmin Oregon 450 with 100K Topo Maps. I have used it on both my old Arctic Cat 500 4x4, and my current AC Prowler 700XTX, using RAM Mounts. For my Prowler, I used a screw mount RAM ball with the diamond shaped base, mounted on the dash.

For my new Ace, I plan to get these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...23CO854DQWCGA&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...D=Q4BZ0HC4Z3A82NV4MJPR&ref_=pd_lutyp_simh_2_5

My thinking is that I can mount the RAM ball at just about any height on the right vertical cage tube, without interference with a windshield mounting.

I am going to replace the film screen protector with a glass version. Wiping abrasive trail dust off the film protector rendered it all but useless before one day's ride was over!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am going to replace the film screen protector with a glass version. Wiping abrasive trail dust off the film protector rendered it all but useless before one day's ride was over!

Paul, I agree on the scratching, do you have a link for the "Glass Protector"?? I haven't seen on yet and didn't think they made one.. but admittedly, haven't looked extensively yet... but now will..
thanks for the heads up...

.. and how would the "Touch" screen nav work? I see a claimed glass but not actually glass..

glass searched in Amazon

thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.