Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't seen this subject talked about, but has anyone had mud get on their storage box latches and then actually ease past the rubber box seal and get into the box itself, and if so does anybody have a mod for closing this opening off to eliminate this problem. This is a really bad design from Polaris that they should fix themselves
I cant see any reasoning on their part for leaving the box latches exposed to the inner fenders where they know mud rocks water and who knows what else will be thrown onto the latches and then protrude into the box itself

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have had the same problem. When the mud gets dry, it really gets hard to open the latches. Haven't had too much of a problem with mud in the box, but I have noticed some things in the box gietting pretty damp. Mud builds up around the outside edge of the seal. I scrape it out with a small screwdriver. Have been thinking about some way to protect the latch to keep the mud off. Anybody have any better ideas besides some kind of a little cup fashioned out of duct tape? And by the way, keep a close eye on the nut holding the latch on. It workes loose frequently, blue Lock-Tight has been working for me.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had the same problem. When the mud gets dry, it really gets hard to open the latches. Haven't had too much of a problem with mud in the box, but I have noticed some things in the box gietting pretty damp. Mud builds up around the outside edge of the seal. I scrape it out with a small screwdriver. Have been thinking about some way to protect the latch to keep the mud off. Anybody have any better ideas besides some kind of a little cup fashioned out of duct tape? And by the way, keep a close eye on the nut holding the latch on. It workes loose frequently, blue Lock-Tight has been working for me.

Yeah Stubby, I have also thought about some kind of a cup to put under the latch hole to keep the mud from being thrown up on the latch, just haven't come up with a good permanent fix yet. The duct tape would probably work for a while but some kind of a plastic cup would probably last longer. I still think Polaris should offer something to fix this issue, Really bad design leaving your box latches open to the elements

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've noticed my cover is slightly bowed up on each side. It came that way from the dealership. I may try to figure out a way to adjust or bend the angle iron underneath the lid to seal better.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stubby.....was looking at the latches today and I believe a simple fix would be to just open the box and place a zip lock bag over the latch hole, and then when you close the box the latch will press the bag down through the hole and hopefully protect the box and latches from mud being thrown up on them. When you get home just push the bag out the bottom of the latch hole and throw it away or wash and reuse it. Will try it on next ride and let you know

·
Registered
259 Posts
Vandal
That sounds like a quick, simple, and cheap fix. I will also try it. Right now I am on the east side of KY at Black Mt. Rode 85 miles yesterday with a bunch, and I can't even tell for sure if my ace really was white. I also broke the hinges on my trunk lid, so right now I have duct tape holding it down. Gotta get a new lid now, and will use your plastic bag idea. Why did't you think of that before....I always have a sandwich bag to throw away. lol

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stubby

Glad you had a good time at Black MT. I don't really know where that idea came from. I was installing the Polaris flares and just happened to look at the latch and the idea was just there. I really don't care where it came from as long as it works....and I believe it just might. Take care and clean that machine up. The aces should come in more colors but not THAT color...lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts