Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a multi mount kit out for the ACE yet?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to be able to use the winch on the front or rear. What I really need is a front receiver.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I want to be able to use the winch on the front or rear. What I really need is a front receiver.
I hope you are planning to have two winches, and not switch the one winch back and forth. The wiring problems to keep switching the position of the winch could be a lot of trouble, and if you wire both front and back you might as well have a winch permanently mounted at each location. If you are planning to use the same wiring for both positions, the length of the wires will really make a mess. and possibly pose electrical problems down the line. Good luck

·
Registered
259 Posts
The wiring should not be a problem at all. Winch power plugs have been available for years. The very simplicity of this kind of winch set-up just requires a trailer hitch receiver in front and rear as well as the electrical flat plug. The winch is then mounted to a one and a quarter bar that will slide into the receiver and pined. The electrical plugs are readily available thru the winch manufacturers as well as off-road equipmect suppliers. If you do not plan on keeping the winch mounted all the time, a simple inch and a quarter hitch receiver can easily be fabed up on the front by any welding shop. Of course, this will require you to always be packing your winch around somewhere on your machine. I have always had people and machines ready to pull me out backwards as soon as I get stuck, and I can winch myself out of a predicament from the front.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Im gonna use quick disconnect on this set up! Ive used this set before and it worked fine.
Yeah I want to find a front receiver. I have a 1.25 winch mount!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like to go adventure by myself sum times or I might need this to pull out my rzr!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The wiring should not be a problem at all. Winch power plugs have been available for years. The very simplicity of this kind of winch set-up just requires a trailer hitch receiver in front and rear as well as the electrical flat plug. The winch is then mounted to a one and a quarter bar that will slide into the receiver and pined. The electrical plugs are readily available thru the winch manufacturers as well as off-road equipmect suppliers. If you do not plan on keeping the winch mounted all the time, a simple inch and a quarter hitch receiver can easily be fabed up on the front by any welding shop. Of course, this will require you to always be packing your winch around somewhere on your machine. I have always had people and machines ready to pull me out backwards as soon as I get stuck, and I can winch myself out of a predicament from the front.
Stubby, I'm sure plugs are available but what I was talking about is the extra 6AWG wire that will be required at both the front winch position and rear winch position. As you know you just cant run a winch through 10 -14 gauge wiring which is the easy wire to run and hide on atv's. I guess you could use only one contactor, but not certain about this application. I'm sure it's been done before. Oh yeah....going to windrock this Saturday and it should be pretty muddy, so I will try out the plastic bags on the box releases and let you know what it looks like

·
Registered
41 Posts
@ Stubby & QPS: I've used the high-current plugs you're talking about on front/rear truck installations many times and never had problems with them. Provided your reversing contactor has enough stud length to land 2 cables for the winch sites, you're generally good to go. The biggest headache is usually finding a safe path to the back.

One suggestion I'd offer is to up-size the longest cable run by at least one gauge. Unless you plan on going nuts with some behemoth 20,000#'er or something, for ATV installs 4-ga should be adequate ... 2-ga if you really want to go the extra mile. Anything bigger would be overkill and you'd probably have bunches of fun snaking those cables through an obstacle course. I'm sure you guys already know this (but for visitors who may not), be sure to size your plugs & contacts sufficiently for the winch's amp-draw and conductor size.

I've found folks at forklift shops are good people to know. They usually have bulk wire, terminals, sleeves, boots, etc. and the equipment to make professional connections. As a general rule, I crimp things up to 2-ga, but more than that I turn it over to the pros. One poor, high-resistance joint can cause a lot of problems.

Vandal & Stubby, you guys have a great time this weekend. I've only seen Windrock in YT clips, but me thinks it's gonna take a place on my bucket list.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Vandal
Duane, Lori, and myself are going to Windrock Saturday as well!!! Look for 3 more Aces. See you there.
Great Stubby, just look for an old guy on a voodoo blue one. We plan on getting to the main parking lot (south side) somewhere around 9:30 - 10:00. Hope to see you there...Vandal...aka Richard

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Thanks for the advise Trail Mix. Forklift shop is a great place for winch connection stuff and I never thought of that either. Cmom down to windrock. Should be a good ride this weekend with some good mud and muck to get things plenty dirty. Sorry you're so far away. Yell at us if you ever decide to come this way. Take care...Vandal

·
Registered
259 Posts
Vandal
just called another friend that is going down also. He told me that the ride is suppose to start at 10 AM. Meet across from the General Store. Don't forget the time change. I am a ROF as well. Look for the ace with the box on the front....and duct tape too.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Vandal
just called another friend that is going down also. He told me that the ride is suppose to start at 10 AM. Meet across from the General Store. Don't forget the time change. I am a ROF as well. Look for the ace with the box on the front....and duct tape too.
Stubby, we're not going to go with that big group, but my buddy already has us a route planned, so I guess I may see you and maybe not. I hope our paths will cross. I'd like to meet some of the people on the forum, so lets just hope we might get to meet. I know we will be going to the main parking lot at the times I mentioned. Yall have a safe trip up from Ky

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Vandal
Duane, Lori, and myself are going to Windrock Saturday as well!!! Look for 3 more Aces. See you there.
Stubby, I believe you and your group drove right past me today at Windrock. I don't know what you look like but if you have a white beard you came within about 50 yds of my group when we were stopped on G43. I tried to get your attention but yall just kept on going. There were three aces together and that's the only other aces I saw other than mine. We had a great trip, very muddy and some challenging stuff climbing some of the hills. I hope yall had as much fun as we had. We left for home about 3:00, about an hour after you passed us, if that was you

·
Registered
259 Posts
Vandal
A the risk of hijacking this thread....
Yep. You spotted me. I'm suprised I missed another Ace, and must have been watching the trail, or was just out in la la land and simply spaced it off. We got to the parking area about nine thirty, after we unloaded and getting our permits I drove around all of the parking lots looking for you before leaving. We didn't get back till a little after four P.M. and you were gone. We had a good ride of about 35 miles. Had all types of terrain: paved road, gravel, rocks, snow, ice, water holes, mud holes, ice/water holes,lots of mud, and lots of big rocks as well. My skid plate really took a beating. Oh, we had MUD too! Really had a good ride and would recommerd Windrock to anyone that wants a good ride. I wish we could have stayed there for a week or more. Too bad that I don't live closser.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts