Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my old quad, I could hear some of what went on around me. Because of that, I would never have listened to music while riding.

With my Ace, I feel like I can't hear surroundings anyway. How do you feel about the SAFETY issues of listening to a player through headphones while riding offroad?

We are street-legal here. I would NEVER listen to music on the street. A car horn I will hear, and want to!

Matt B

BTW, I don't like engine noise. I would make the Ace silent if I could!

·
Registered
420 Posts
personally I think its another distraction that should be avoided. I suppose the kind of riding you do makes a big difference...

·
Registered
503 Posts
I don't even listen to the radio in my car or truck. When I am rolling I listen to what is going on around me. Just my personal preference for the last 30 years.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I am surrounded by things that play music when sitting in my office, when sitting in my truck, when sitting on hold for technical support, when standing in an elevator, and when shopping at the department store.
When I am out in the wilderness, I don't really want to hear any music except that made by the sound of the engine, and the tires on the trail.

Blaring music will keep you from hearing the tick-tick-tick sounds of a rock stuck in your wheel smacking your brake caliper, or the screech of that same rock jamming between the wheel and caliper and starting to cut a groove on the inside of your wheel.

It will also prevent you from hearing the dragging stick that is jammed against your axle, getting ready to rip your CV boot open - and also prevent you from hearing the horn of the ORV behind you trying to warn you about the stick.

If you're in rattlesnake country and have stopped for a pee break, your music might prevent you from hearing the warning rattle from the snake you didn't see.

Your music might also irritate one or more people in the group you're riding with.

But all of this is just my humble opinion. :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I am surrounded by things that play music when sitting in my office, when sitting in my truck, when sitting on hold for technical support, when standing in an elevator, and when shopping at the department store.
When I am out in the wilderness, I don't really want to hear any music except that made by the sound of the engine, and the tires on the trail.

Blaring music will keep you from hearing the tick-tick-tick sounds of a rock stuck in your wheel smacking your brake caliper, or the screech of that same rock jamming between the wheel and caliper and starting to cut a groove on the inside of your wheel.

It will also prevent you from hearing the dragging stick that is jammed against your axle, getting ready to rip your CV boot open - and also prevent you from hearing the horn of the ORV behind you trying to warn you about the stick.

If you're in rattlesnake country and have stopped for a pee break, your music might prevent you from hearing the warning rattle from the snake you didn't see.

Your music might also irritate one or more people in the group you're riding with.

But all of this is just my humble opinion. :)

I agree with you Scoundrel. We are subjected to music everywhere we are in our daily lives and when I go to the woods I want to get away from the daily doldrums we have to put up with. I want whatever peace I can find and to me music or loud exhausts just have no place where I'm trying to relax and enjoy nature. I know there are those who will disagree, but just as they have their opinions I have mine. As Scoundrel stated there are many sounds that NEED to be heard when we are riding, and music isn't one of them. Its hard enough to hear what's going on while riding with just the sound of the engine clogging your ears, add another distraction or two (loud exhaust) and the sounds you want to hear before you tear up your vehicle, will never be heard. That's my say on it. If you like music on your rides, I would never deny you your right to listen or have the loudest exhaust in the world, just don't ride in front of me please

Reactions: shawnfrontier

·
Registered
394 Posts
I love music when driving down the highway. I hate interruptions such as commercials.
But I use my Ace for hunting activities, so I don't need music at all while on the it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'll be the first to say I don't mind riding with music, plus have aftermarket exhaust. I've only done it twice with the Ace having music on. First time was with just one speaker and the second was this past Saturday at the dunes. Mainly the second time was to test out using two speakers. I have a video of this, which I will post on here of the ride and you will see I didn't have it on that much. Later on in the day I didn't even use the music. I will never use headphones and don't understand why people use them. It's a huge safety thing for me since all you here is the headphones, while speakers you can still hear other things around you. This is my opinion of this and not trying to start anything, which I don't think this post makes me sound like that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone checked the cockpit noise level with a meter? I don't know that I have heard anything except engine or a rock hitting the fenders when I am riding.

Matt B

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have an overhead stereo in my Rzr and I am looking at different options to install one in the Ace. For me the music enhances the experience, but I can understand those who don't enjoy it. When negotiating difficult terrain it is either off or turned down to a barely audible level, but when cruising down an easy trail, I turn it to a reasonable volume. I understand that just because I like my music, not everyone will. It annoys me when I'm 500 ft from someone and can hear their music over the 6.5" speakers that are 2ft from my ears. I generally feel that's blasting anything at that volume is rude and disrespectful, although I guess there is a time and place for that. From a safety standpoint, I don't feel my stereo makes my vehicle less safe, I can still hear what's going on around me and the motor, diffs, etc. I do however agree that riding with any kind of noise canceling headphones is a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
My post may have come across as telling other people what they should do based on my own preferences, and I try to avoid doing that.
Lots of people enjoy music while riding, especially in the sand dunes, and I hope nothing goes wrong that could have been avoided.

I did measure cockpit noise while sitting still revving the engine once, in my RZR. It was about 100 dB, more or less.

·
Registered
447 Posts
When I did all the insulation on my Ace last year, I did quite a bit of of noise level testing. I copied the result of a post that I made last June and pasted it below.

I got my decibel meter and infrared thermometer in today and played with them a few minutes just to familiarize myself with the meters. The thermometer is accurate to within 2% of actual temperature and the decibel meter is accurate to within 1.5 decibels of actual. I got the following readings with the decibel meter with the Ace stationary. I was holding the meter above my right shoulder.

Idle - 1250 RPM 70
2000 RPM 71
3000 RPM 75
4000 RPM 79
5000 RPM 83
8000 RPM 95

Riding at 40 mph on a gravel road I hit 98 decibels.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love the stereo in my Ace. I don't always use it but there are certain times when I really enjoy it, however, I am aware and respectful with regards to who I am riding with and that I don't disturb others in the area.

Reactions: Vandal

·
Registered
394 Posts
Most of the places I frequent, I cant get much faster than 10 mph or so.
Except when I broke ot in. My wife and I took it to the beach. I didn't figure my wife would like the marsh or woods and I didn't want to break down in a remote place, if it did happen.
Good to know it gets better with speed.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Reactions: Scoundrel

·
Registered
344 Posts
i like the music, drowns out the cries for help... JC (Johnny Cash) is perfect.... (joking)...

But... I have a small nano pad or whatever they're called, blue-tooths to the round cylindrical speaker and it's great.

I try to keep it low if around anyone else to within a 5' hearing distance and turn it up if alone, which is normally the case as being last on long boring rides.
I don't use it all the time and won't in a tight group as I too, hate the blasting of other peeps music, unless rap of course (joking on that) and i wouldn't use ear plugs nor tie it in with a radio helmet.

If I'm off riding along, I'll play it, I was still trying to get used to the volume and on/off/pause switch, but plan on putting on the ACE when set up.

Now, if the engines were quiet, I'd probably rethink it, but they are not and the music helps drown them out. I can still hear noises as you can with ear phones. Seems like you shouldn't/couldn't but you do ... so not worried about that on a trail. Dunes would be different and depending upon what type, good views or not I'd adjust the on/off accordingly..

But..... I'll put the music on.. when by my self...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I was not knocking the music. Having been a 3 wheeler person before the ace, there was no place for anything on those machines.
It is probably soothing to listen to, I just never tried it.
I like being out in the open, alone or with my dog, putt putting around just looking for something to shoot, or a place to place a snare or trap, or a tree stand...
WHen I think hard, I don't like anything to crowd my brain cell.
Unlike when I drive to work. I have a 2.5 hour trip to work on the interstate. I like to crank it up to keep me awake.
My hearing is not that great, my wife hates my preferred volume level in the hoopty('99 Ford F-250 with 7.3L diesel).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I suspected something like that. So if I understood the noise information elsewhere, were the Ace a workplace, OSHA would limit exposure to the sound of a 40 MPH gravel road ride by law. Above 5000 RPM, we would be issued hearing protection.

I don't like the idea of "sharing" my music with others without their consent, and I don't like impairing my senses. But I am seeing a good reason for hearing protection, especially on extended rides. I will have to try this, and see how isolating it sounds (good) and feels (bad.)

Matt B

When I did all the insulation on my Ace last year, I did quite a bit of of noise level testing. I copied the result of a post that I made last June and pasted it below.

I got my decibel meter and infrared thermometer in today and played with them a few minutes just to familiarize myself with the meters. The thermometer is accurate to within 2% of actual temperature and the decibel meter is accurate to within 1.5 decibels of actual. I got the following readings with the decibel meter with the Ace stationary. I was holding the meter above my right shoulder.

Idle - 1250 RPM 70
2000 RPM 71
3000 RPM 75
4000 RPM 79
5000 RPM 83
8000 RPM 95

Riding at 40 mph on a gravel road I hit 98 decibels.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts