Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the moto kit from Rugged Radios installed / mounted in my Ace today. RH5R 2-Way Motorcycle UHF/VHF 5 Watt Radio Communication Kit [MC-RH5R] - $204.48 : Rugged Radios: Headsets, Intercoms, 2-Way Racing Radios and Communication for Motorcycles, Offroad, Circle Track, Aviation, Drag Racing, NASCAR, Police, and more...

I put my PTT on the shifter and got the nifty box mount and used the rear bar. I'd say it seems super solid on there, the only thing I'd say I would like to see better on the box would be to include plastic or rubber coated clamps. I ended up cutting some red/black lashing straps to use under the clamps as a protector. I didn't want to cinch those clamps down and scratch up my bars.

Here's some pix for fun:

Suspension Suspension part Vehicle Tire Auto part Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Windshield Auto part Vehicle Automotive mirror Rear-view mirror
Vehicle Personal protective equipment Automotive exterior Auto part Car

·
Registered
344 Posts
Looking good..
I'm assuming there are drainage holes in the bottom of the container...
Rain, mud, snow etc...

Nice..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking good..
I'm assuming there are drainage holes in the bottom of the container...
Rain, mud, snow etc...

Nice..
There are 4 holes in the bottom for that. Being that there is a giant hunk of foam I think that if I do any inclement weather riding i'll be putting a ziploc freezer bag over the whole thing with a tiny hole for the cable. I'll just fasten it with a rubber band.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Cracker 9000, If you would, please share what your experience is with range for VHF and UHF. Are you communicating just vehicle to vehicle or also vehicle to base? I'm contemplating adding radio's as well and have no experience. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cracker 9000, If you would, please share what your experience is with range for VHF and UHF. Are you communicating just vehicle to vehicle or also vehicle to base? I'm contemplating adding radio's as well and have no experience. Thanks in advance
Well we're taking them to the dunes at Winchester in 2 weeks for their maiden test. It will be a vehicle to vehicle deal. We are going to do some tests with range, terrain and whatnot. I'll definitely report back with our findings!

·
Registered
259 Posts
We have used the little frs radios for hunting with good results, but have really had problems using them in all three of our aces. Some static and voice distortion and they just do not work well. I have been absorbing all comments about those small rugged radios. They seem like an overall good radio, but I hate to spend that kind of money on something that may be questionable for my use. Will be waiting for your evaluation in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rugged radios used my ace to test fit a 50watt radio in it, i have had really good luck with all their products in the ace and my sand rail. NO noise, and great range

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So as promised I owe you guys a review of the Rugged RH5R.

We had 5 of us using these radios for four days down at Winchester Bay dunes on the Oregon coast earlier this week. I have to say that bang for the buck these things kicked total ass. Using the odometer we did some VHF range testing and they were quite effective up to about 2 miles. UHF seemed to be about 20% better and was more clear.

Ranges were significantly reduced when we were each down in a different bowl with a dune between us but that's totally expected.
The other guys were all using the standard lapel mic and earpiece that comes with the radio and to be quite honest they weren't totally awesome. They worked, but there was a massive difference in quality from my helmet boom/speaker combo. But considering that my helmet kit cost more than the entire radio package I'd have to say that once again i'm not surprised. Don't get me wrong, the guys could still hear each other, but the mic picks up a LOT of background noise.

Battery life was phenomenal. We rode about 6 hours each day and never came close to running out of battery. For our test we actually let one radio go through two complete days without recharging and it did great.

I have no doubt that they will work great on the trails, but my buddy and I are going to do the field test on those in the fall when the trails aren't complete dust bowls.

All in all these things were a blast and made our riding trip way, way, WAY more enjoyable. No more stopping and having one of those yell-thru-your-helmet conversations, or the ever-annoying "hey where did Bubba go?" events.

Definitely a thumbs-up from C9K!

I'd really like to try the long-range rubber ducky antenna to see how much that improves.

(Maybe I can get a deal from RR for this plug and also that I bought my entire package on Father's Day weekend for 15% off instead of waiting until the July 4th 20% weekend....) ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did your group all have the RH-5R radios? Did they all use the same antenna? I know that there are many options with these little 5R radios. Your set-up looks great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a radio exactly like the RH-5R. I will have to contact RR to come up with the helmet kit and PTT kit. Now to figure out what I need. Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a radio exactly like the RH-5R. I will have to contact RR to come up with the helmet kit and PTT kit. Now to figure out what I need. Thanks!
If your radio is the Baofeng version of the RH-5R then you should be fine to use the link from the beginning of this thread. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for posting your experience with the radio's. Please let us know how it goes for trail use.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome C9K! Love to see that they worked out. I know I'm late to the party but have you gone on any more trips lately? Also, are you still in the mood for some long range antennas?
Absolutely. Hehe I was trying to order one months back when you guys had the everything 30% off for 2 hours (or something like that) but the website was crashed and when I called the poor guy who answered the phone sounded like he was about to cry. ;)

I've just not gotten around to doing it. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts