Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was out riding the Ace today and caught a short stump. I just didn't see it. I wasn't going fast, probably 5mph, but it stopped cold and tore the steering wheel out of my hand. I got out and looked, didn't see anything. As I continued riding I could tell something was wrong. It was pulling to the right. I made it back to the car and trailered it home. After I washed it off, I took a closer look. sure enough I cracked the left strut. Good thing it didn't crack the whole way through. I would have had a nice walk. Just disassembled it. I'll look for parts later. I'm going fishing.

View attachment 3728 View attachment 3729 View attachment 3730

·
Registered
100 Posts
Given we break s#!t, this is the best of possible outcomes. Imagine leaving your Ace, and walking out with pretty broken ends of bones sticking out of your wrist. You are safe and you got home OK!

Let us know how the procurement of replacement parts goes.

All, would a good welder fix this for tens of dollars?

Matt B

·
Registered
259 Posts
Look closer!!!!!! Duane broke his big time about two weeks ago. Left side as well. Had to be towed out. You got lucky it did not fall apart and you were able to drive it out, albit probably very slow and cautiously. Now for the look closer.... upon disassembly, both steering knuckles were full of rust, mud, dirt, and wobbly loose. Looking a little closer, both of the ball joints at the bottom of the strut connected to the lower A arms were in the same rusted shape as well. Something for all of us to look at close. I was at my local dealer a couple of days ago, and asked the parts guys if there was any ball joints available that could be greased on a service. They both told me there may be after market ones available, but nothing from Polaris. Polaris has got us by the short and curleys again.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Look closer!!!!!! Duane broke his big time about two weeks ago. Left side as well. Had to be towed out. You got lucky it did not fall apart and you were able to drive it out, albit probably very slow and cautiously. Now for the look closer.... upon disassembly, both steering knuckles were full of rust, mud, dirt, and wobbly loose. Looking a little closer, both of the ball joints at the bottom of the strut connected to the lower A arms were in the same rusted shape as well. Something for all of us to look at close. I was at my local dealer a couple of days ago, and asked the parts guys if there was any ball joints available that could be greased on a service. They both told me there may be after market ones available, but nothing from Polaris. Polaris has got us by the short and curleys again.
I believe this is cast aluminum. If so, in my opinion it doesn't weld very well. Might act as a bandaide but I'd never trust it. I weld aluminum often but don't try many cast items so I wouldn't consider myself an expert.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sent an email to Racer Tech asking about price and delivery for their new Ace strut uprights. Waiting to hear.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Vinny....... I was kind of thinking the same thing. I don't know that I would trust it for serious riding, but it could sure be used as a limper to get back home when you break one that falls off completely. They are not that hard to change out. Towing an Ace out of some nasty trails quickly becomes an ordeal.

Coopdawg... Tell us some more about racer tech struts. I didn't know anyone was working on after market struts. I can't imagine that these ace racers don't already have replaced or have them beefed up somehow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stubby-honestly i don't know very much haha but they posted a picture of one in early development around 2 weeks ago or so, I've been following a lot of the ace race teams on Instagram looking to where they are getting parts and there seems to be a decent amount of product in development. i recommend checking it out if you have a smart phone. in the search section type in #polarisace there are hundreds of pictures and videos of really cool ideas as well as the first ace long travel i have actually seen built.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I'm glad they're making a set. Geerhead, welcome to the broken strut club. Looks like you got off light.
I had my new ones reinforced, but I still cringe every time I hit a bump in the ACE, and, well, that pretty much means 100 times every ride.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I heard back from Racer Tech. Very fast response. Here's what they said:

Hello, David

I received your message about our ACE strut uprights. They are $1200 for bare, or $1275 for any other color including black. If you order today, we could have bare to you in about a week or so. If you wanted custom color, it would be 2-3 weeks current estimated lead time. Did you have any other questions?

Thanks for thinking of Racer Tech!
Maggie

[email protected]
616-928-0616

$1200 Wow, I'm gonna have to think about that. Anyone want to buy a 3 wheeled Ace?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm not sure what the actual price of the stock replacement is but from what I'm seeing it's about $265. $1200 seems pretty steep to me too but I will reserve judgement until I get all the details. In a race scenario I am sure they are worth every penny. To the average user maybe or maybe not. Personally I probably won't upgrade until I break one but if I do I like knowing there is a better option. If it comes down to parking my $8500 toy that I am otherwise satisfied with because I'm afraid I'll break it or paying an additional $1200 to know I can drive it the way I intended then I'll probably pay the $1200. If there were other aspects of the machine I didn't like, I'd probably go the cheap route, repair it, and then sell it and get something else. Just my $.02. I do appreciate racertech stepping up and creating a solution to this problem. If they were able to make them adjustable as well as stronger that would be great. Do you have any specifics on their replacements? Material, adjustability, spring rates, etc?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm waiting for a reply from racer tech on more specifics but I did confirm the $1200 price is for the pair. see below.

"$1200 would be for the pair. We aren't currently offering any discount as the ACE parts are in extremely high demand currently. We do run specials every once in a while which you can find on our Facebook page or the forums. I am going to forward your information to the shop manager who will be able to answer the specific questions you have about the struts. He will be contacting you to answer those questions."

·
Vendor
182 Posts
Hi guys,

This is Andy from RT. We're set up as vendors here now and we have a LOT of developments happening with the Ace right now. We've been holding off releasing stuff for the last six months or so as we get some solid race miles on the products and finalize a bunch of details but this week I'll be spending some time loading this forum up with a BUNCH of info, pics and prices.

Everything is pretty preliminary right now but we know the uprights are a huge issue so we've designed what's basically a mini trophy truck spindle the same way we've built them for our class 1 cars and sand cars in the past. It's overkill at it's finest so yes, the price is high.. We were really hoping to keep it lower but with everything getting TIG welded for our race cars right now it's what we need to make it worth spending thousands to put these on the shelf.. I'll put some more details up in our section soon so we can explain a little more but for now, this is what $1200 a pair gets you. For what it's worth, these things took one heck of a beating at GNCC this weekend...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for the post Andy! Looking at all that fab work, I can see why they cost $1200. Is that carbon or stainless? Nice work. I'm anxious to see the additional pics and specs.

·
Vendor
182 Posts
Thanks! It's all CRS. It's the strongest for the buck and we evaluated Chromoly initially as well but it wasn't near worth the costs.. This is the FEA from the initial CRS design even before all the bracing was on and it came out extremely good.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I am glad this is being formally recognized as a problem and addressed. I'm sure I'm not the first person to break a strut, but I was the first ACEForum member to do so. Then when I broke the other strut a month later, I got a lot of crap about my riding style. Some people were more interested in blaming me for the issues than admitting that the ACE struts were a weak point.

Thank you, Racer Tech, for standing up and throwing your weight into the ACE platform, especially with the amazing work you've been doing with Jesi.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts