Polaris ACE Forum banner

Neebie Needs unbiased info on Ace Stability, Center of Gravity, etc.

13K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  4Nines 
#1 ·
Very interested in purchasing an Ace, however, if I ask questions on the phone to salesman---it is like a Razr But in person, oh it's much more stable than a Razr. Absolutely couldn't be Both!

I am a Grandmother that likes to ride and looking for something safer than an Atv. Had a couple of wrecks, I am a nurse and think this might be safer? Of course, only if it's more stable--I actually never want to See out the roll bars protect you! I like climbing steep hills and riding trails. I am Not a daredevil. I am more slow and steady--turtle wise. I don't do mud at all--mud puddles OK but not engine mud.

Unfortunately, a few years back I purchased a new Sportsman 400 on the smaller frame (only made these for a couple of years), boy, was that a huge mistake. hated it. Felt like it would flip over sideways all the time. Let some seasoned friends ride it--they felt the same--sold it at a huge loss just to get rid of it! Looked like brand new. That being said, I don't want to make another mistake.

Would love to test drive one at Windrock or Royal Blue in Tn if someone wants to meet me there. Would be willing to pay to test drive. Doesn't have to be all day, just a couple of trails.

Absolutely ANY info you owners have would help me with my decision would be great. I might add we also have a Kawasaki Mule--don't mind slow speed, very stable, just like 4-wheeler better. Thanks!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks --- love to hear everyone's opinions! The more the better! Even if you hate the Ace tell me why--- speed, stability, handling, power, etc. I'm really interested. Owners are the BEST judge!

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Haven't seen a mule roll over? We put it sideways on a steep incline, stood on the lower side and couldn't make it begin to tip over. Very stable. She must be a much more seasoned adventurous rider than we are. We have the 610 which is the smaller one. I just don't like riding with someone. I had rather scare myself, ha ha! Thanks for the info about the steep slope and no tip over. When I started riding a few years ago, I kept asking if there wasn't something that sat lower but would still rock climb with a roll cage--kinda like the go carts with larger wheels, so your center of gravity would be lower. Everybody said, it just don't work like that. This just might be the ticket especially after flipping my 4wheeler a few years ago, yeah, guess where it landed--on top of me. Wish I had the video---too fast climbing up a steep hill and hit some slick rocks???? I guess.... Thank God for my helmet! Remember, I said I'm a nurse! Hit my head hard on some rocks! Could have been a critical injury! Thanks for the info!

Discussion starter · #9 ·
FJK loved the videos!!! Great job! The terrain we ride on is very hilly, steep, and rocky. A question for you--does it have any engine holdback? I know that it doesn't in the specs but what I am referring to is ---in low, when going down a steep hill, if you throttle it just a little, it doesn't freewheel. That slows it down. The Polaris 400 we have does this, I just don't know if all of them do??? Thanks a lot! I am going to a dealer tomorrow to look at them and test drive, but only in parking lot, ugh! So hard to know on flat, paved ground.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Thanks FJK This looks like what we ride on except more rocky and sometimes steeper!!!! Could not find what kind of brakes the Ace has on the specs and wondering how does a 32 HP engine compare with a 455cc HO engine???? It looks like it has plenty of power for me but just wondering? Thanks again!!

Discussion starter · #14 ·
cumminsdieselgt --- sorry for your sister-in-law --overcompensation--sounds like something I would do! I just love the roll cage!!! Didn't think I would ever ride a 4-wheeler after all the paralyzed young men I have taken care of over the years in nursing BUT sometimes a helmet would have saved them, other times--it would have taken some safety non-daredevil steps. Anyway, you just can't educate the young folks that are invincible!!!

Discussion starter · #16 ·
:woot:OK everybody--I bought an ACE on Saturday and I was surprised that my husband wanted one too after he test drove one so we bought 2. We went to Windrock Park Oliver Springs TN on Sunday to try them out and guess what??? I am now on Windrock Park's facebook page. Everyone was excited to see the Ace. It was a great day. NO regrets!!! No problem climbing many rocky steep inclines. My husband says I am riding 10-15 mph faster now. Feels so much better than a 4-wheeler. Much more stable!!!! Can't wait to go back out!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.