Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trails that I ride are currently covered in a thick layer of oak leaves. They collect between the belly pan and the engine and exhaust. They are a considerable fire hazard and I have to stop frequently and clean them out. At first I thought that they were going through all the holes in the factory belly pan and I was considering a solid UHMW belly pan to keep them out. However, I have noticed lately that my cab also fills with oak leaves. I suspect the the front wheels are kicking them up into the air and they are blowing into the cab and into the sides of the Ace between the belly pan and the engine and exhaust components.

Below is a photo from the left side of the Ace.

View attachment 2651

Here is a photo from the right side of the Ace.

View attachment 2652

Is there anyone out there with a solid belly pan that can comment on whether it helped air born debris like oak leaves out of the engine compartment area? Has anyone seen anything to put along the sides of the engine compartment to help keep out debris? All suggestions welcome. Thanks, Hayseed.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hayseed
I get the oak leaves on the top of my belly pan as well. However, mine come from a different source. When I ride thru water holes that have a lot of leaves in them, the water and leaves flood into the open areas below the motor, then the water runs out leaving a pile of leaves to dry out that is pushed and wraped around anything they can hang on too. I try to keep them pressure washed out as much as possible, but still worry about the fire hazzard after they dry.

·
Registered
552 Posts
All I can think of is a custom screen. Maybe the same stuff the mesh doors are made from. Or perhaps metal, you know that would hold up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the exact same problem Hayseed! I've tried to think of some way to stop it but can't figure out a thing either. I stop and clean the leaves out every so often myself. Haven't heard of them catching fire but I sure don't wanna take a chance and be the first!!!! Better safe than sorry. If you figure something out PLEASE post it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Riding this past fall lots of dry leaves on the trail. Leaves got compacted in on the manifold and she started on fire. I was riding along then my butt got really hot, hotter than the usual motor heat you get from the Ace, so I glanced down and saw fire through the hole on the side where the u shaped roll bar is. Pulled over and put it out. Minor wire casing melted thankfully nothing major. Fixed the casing and all is well. I check for leaves regularly but this particular day the leaves were just too much even with the checking it. I was the only machine out of the group that had an extinguisher, needless to say after everyone witnessed my fire, they will all be carrying extinguishers on board.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a full skid plate and crap still accumulates in there.
Scoundrel, thanks for the reply. After I noticed the leaves accumulating in my cab area, I suspected that they were entering from the sides rather than through the holes in the skid plate. Just thinking out loud, I may try to put some hardware cloth on the sides of the Ace to see if that helps. I have been worried about this problem since I first got the Ace. During the summer there were no dead leaves on the trail and this was pushed to the back of my to do list.

·
Registered
67 Posts
New owner and leaf traps are pretty bad. Like the idea of a screen over skid holes, but still have so much accumulation around rear suspension and engine, especially from water holes in woods. Any DIY ideas welcome.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mudder2, I have not owned an ACE for 2 1/2 years. I had a 2104 ACE. I seem to remember that my leaf problems for the most part went away when I installed full Polaris doors. It changed the airflow around the ACE and the leaves quit being sucked into the engine compartment. I have no idea what ACE you have and if this will still work. I was sitting at my computer when I got an email that a thread that I was subscribed to on the ACE forum had a post. Surprise!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a friend that noticed his started smoking where the leaves had piled up under the engine area. And he has the full doors. So in my rear box I carry a small 18” rod that’s bent on the end so I can rake out under the engine area. I also carry a small fire extinguisher behind my seat up near the roll bar. I used a rubber pipe cap from the hardware store; mounted that to the top of small shelf area. The extinguisher sets in there and then I uses a wide Velcro strap from an Rv awning flapper holder; screwed that and the plastic extinguisher bracket that came with the extinguisher to the lower roll bar and it holds the extinguisher in place. Here’s a picture.

Attachments

Reactions: Mudder2
1 - 17 of 17 Posts