Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just traded in my Grizzly 700 and picked up two Ace 570's from a local dealer. We got a fair price for our trade in and for both ACE's. While we'll both miss our Yamaha Grizzly's concerns about our safety and health steered us in the direction of the ACE.

I'm hoping this purchase will restore my faith in Polaris as a company. I speak as an individual who has owned nothing but Polaris snowmobiles and those of you who also own 800cc POO sleds know what I'm referring to.

I do have a couple of newbie questions that I hope can be answered.

(a) Fuel economy: How many miles or hours of riding in the Rocky Mountains (6-15mph crawling over rocks) can I expect out of a fuel tank? My wife and I often ride 50 miles from our camp sites and carry extra fuel with our previous ATVs. Need to know how much spare fuel we need to carry for 100-150 mile rides that often last 10-12 hours at a time. Our Grizzly's sucked on fuel economy. I often ran out of gas at 70 miles and my wife's smaller Grizzly was good for about 85 miles before she ran dry.

(b) What should I look for to ensure dealer did proper uncrating and building of our ACE's. I'm going to check the toe-in/wheel alignment, grease all zerk fittings, add some ZDDP into the engine oil for break in and 5 ounces of degummed castor oil into the gasoline for break-in, anything else? After 20 hours, I'll pull the belt, clean the belt dust off the sheaves, and wash the belt with dish detergent. This seems to do wonders for my snowmobiles. The castor oil is a one time deal that I find really helps in preventing piston scuffing on a new engine and helps the rings seat quicker. I subscribe to the mototune USA method of breaking in an engine and do that for all of my engines. Never fouled a plug doing this either not that I really care, plugs are cheap and easy to replace.

(c) Stock primary clutch weights are what weight? I typically will reduce the primary weight at least 2 grams and possibly 4 grams to deal with riding over 12,000 foot passes. Can someone share their clutching experiences? Another Poo dealership north of me tunes their clutches for the altitudes meaning they reduce the primary's weights. What is stock? Thanks! Has anyone messed with secondary clutch springs and if so, what was your experience?

(d) I need a decent 5 point harness for each ACE, who makes a good one that I can rely on for safety in the event of a roll-over?

(e) Has anyone put EPS on a 570? What was your experience?

(f) Can hill decent control be pulled from 570 Sportsman parts and added to the ACE? I didn't want to wait for the SP to come out. I had the money in hand and wife's permission purchase both ace's today. If I waited longer, she would have probably changed her mind. Gotta strike that iron while it is hot!

(g) Is there a way to force the ACE by electrical means into full time 4x4 drive? I would love to have a panel mounted switch that forces the ACE into 4x4 all of the time, not just when the rear wheels slip.

Thanks again!

Andy

·
Registered
525 Posts
(g) Is there a way to force the ACE by electrical means into full time 4x4 drive? I would love to have a panel mounted switch that forces the ACE into 4x4 all of the time, not just when the rear wheels slip.
No. All the switch does is energize an electromagnet and it stays energized as long as the AWD button is pushed. The actual process of locking and unlocking is mechanical with a hilliard clutch on each axle output in the front differential.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. All the switch does is energize an electromagnet and it stays energized as long as the AWD button is pushed. The actual process of locking and unlocking is mechanical with a hilliard clutch on each axle output in the front differential.
Thanks, interesting design. I'm used to being in control with the Grizzly's 4x4 system. I guess I'll learn and accept the Ace's 4x4 system.

Answered my own question regarding primary clutch weights by reading the owners manual. Got new weights on order and will attempt to replace with primary clutch on the vehicle. If not possible, will buy a puller.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
(a) Fuel economy: How many miles or hours of riding in the Rocky Mountains (6-15mph crawling over rocks) can I expect out of a fuel tank? My wife and I often ride 50 miles from our camp sites and carry extra fuel with our previous ATVs. Need to know how much spare fuel we need to carry for 100-150 mile rides that often last 10-12 hours at a time. Our Grizzly's sucked on fuel economy. I often ran out of gas at 70 miles and my wife's smaller Grizzly was good for about 85 miles before she ran dry.

(e) Has anyone put EPS on a 570? What was your experience?
I have a Grizzly 700 and an ACE 325. I know your questions are about the 570, but I might be able to provide a little input anyway.

Gas Mileage:
I recently took a trip to the Paiute ATV Trail system with a friend.
Both the Grizzly and the ACE were heavily loaded down with gear. Including me and the camping gear, the ACE probably had 350+ lbs loaded on it.
We were often climbing from 6,500 feet to 11,000+ feet.
The Grizzly got about 75 miles on a tank of gas, similar to your experience.
The ACE 325 got 135 miles on a tank. That equates to about 25 MPG.
I've seen posts on RZRForums indicating about 24 MPG for the RZR 570.

Regarding EPS:
The 325 and 570 are pretty much identical in that respect.
Depending on your finances, it might be worth it to buy the Polaris kit so you get progressive boost depending on speed.
I put aftermarket EPS on the 325. I also installed a switch in the dash to turn the EPS on/off.

At low speed, the EPS is awesome. Takes the effort out of tight maneuvers.
At high speed, the non-progressive EPS removes the feedback that helps you know when you're about turn the wheel too far.

To elaborate on that: I installed the on/off switch to do this test. I got up to speed on a semi-twisty service road and did some A/B testing.
When I am going into a turn with the EPS off, I can feel the steering wheel resisting me up to a certain point. Then after that point the rear end starts to slide out.
So with the EPS off, I can feel the break point on my traction.
With the EPS on, I cannot feel that resistance in the wheel when heading into a turn. At some point the rear end starts to slide out, and it didn't feel any different before I lost traction.
So the ACE can seem kind of squirrely in the corners when you don't get that feedback. My RZR with aftermarket EPS is the same way.

The Polaris progressive EPS kit that ties into the computer will change the steering boost depending on your speed, and you'll still get some of that feedback on the wheel at speed.
But I have not experienced this so I can't say exactly how well that works.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have installed the Polaris EPS and ridden 250 miles on the W VA trails and it has proven to be a great feature. All day rides on rough trails and you don't get tired.
Also, I have had the EBS on order from Polaris for over a months. They are behind in getting these out. On the primary you need a one-way bearing # 1521172 and the Polaris thrust washer # 7556745. You need a complete secondary driven clutch # 1323286 plus the following. Bolt # 7519210, Belt #3211149, Spacer # 5633000.
I have these systems on my 2013 rzr 800LE and could not do without on the ACE. Bought my Ace 570 before they came out with the SP.
I have the CommanderV and Auto Tune on both machines with a performance exhaust and it increased power and throttle response a bunch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
just wanted to ask this question,
in theory the those changes to install ebs should work on the 325. The part number for the primary on the 325 and the 570 are the same , so going ahead and purchasing all the othe part numbers listed by norman should in fact give the 325 engine braking, any thoughts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Andy, you should have bought the new SP it has EBS and EPS which makes life so much easier once you start loading up the front end with lights,bumper, winch and changing tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts