Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preface:

Three days of West Virginia riding to include; Asphalt, easy trails (green), medium trails, (blue) difficult trails, (black) and extreme trails. (black/red)
About 50% of trail riding included the Hatfield Mccoy trails systems which we ventured on and off of all weekend.
First day we went about 78 miles, second day about 97 miles, and the last day about 88 miles. I would guess 50 to 60 of the total miles included asphalt going from one riding area to another. (Not much of a problem in WV…as long as you stay off the 4 lanes)
I would also guess that 75% of the difficult and extreme trails we rode were part of the Hatfield Mccoy trails system to include Rock House and Bear Wallow. (Main reason we go on their system)
Our group included experienced to very experienced riders on fairly late model machines from ATV’s to Rzr’s. I was the only ACE in the crowd. As a matter of fact, we did not see any other ACE’s at all.

My Ace setup:
Half windshield – did great
Steering wheel spinner
Kolpin rearview mirror-third day the clamp started to get loose
Polaris canvas top – did great
Polaris rear integrated box
Polaris integrated 2500# winch
Mudlite XL stock size tires/stock steel rims
Front pressure = 4.5 psi
Rear pressure = 5 psi
Rear stock shocks/springs set at max tension
Seat all the way back

Top end – I got to 62mph on asphalt (not sure if my tire type affected the speedo)
Launch – just stomp on that pedal!
Stability over obstacles…absolutely excellent on the extreme trails!
Steep uphill climbing….will climb a wall!
Ease of steering, option to use spinner in certain situations
Excellent low to medium speed stability on trails
Excellent in the mud with those mud lite tires
All the info I can page through on the digital display
Not being wore out after 3 days of hard riding

Dislikes:
Stopping to shift from Low to High/High to low
Finding the right gear-not knowing if it is engaged or not. (even though it says L on the display…sometimes it is not fully in gear, could never get a good feel when shifting)
Gas pedal feel….gap before gas and the tension on the pedal is strong.
On steep downhill descents, had to use my left foot on the brakes while goosing the gas for engine braking.
High speed cornering on trails – tendency to roll/nose dive. (When I say high speed, I mean 45+mph on tight, winding, fairly level trails (blue and green trails)
Slight steering wheel vibration – seemed to be RPM related. (noticeable on asphalt)

Summary:
Over all I was very, and I mean very impressed, especially on the difficult and extreme trails. The ACE could probably use 1” taller tires with a slight offset making a slightly wider stance…IE: the ACE 570 SP. Still had a great time and we rode hard and fast all weekend.
Picking a line on the difficult trails is more akin to wheeling with a jeep or truck than an ATV. I tilted over, tires off the ground on one side, and quickly turned into my tilt to recover and keep from flipping over three times. Twice I needed assistance (we all did) to maneuver around a rock and a washed out stump, extreme downhill, in an extreme off camber position. The roll bars help out by allowing others to hold you up as you drive around/over obstacles in this type of situation.
Only carnage was a busted front fascia, the new one that was installed with the winch. I never needed to use the winch or get towed.

All of these magazines and guru’s that say an ace is for women and newbies….have not fully tested this machine out!

I am very happy with my new ACE 570 !

·
Registered
25 Posts
No the Newbie girls don't get the 570 they get the white lighting ( 330 right?) lol At least that is what this newbie female got and just to be fair and not do circles around me my husband who is an experienced rider got the same one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Good write-up. Good ride report. Am glad you had a very positive trip. I read over your report quickly, and now will go over it later to get it all digested.

·
Registered
130 Posts
MrMud,
great ride.
I also have mudlite xl's. 26x9x12 and 26x10x12's. I mounted my tires on aluminum Rzr rims, the offset and tread required to use 1 inch spacers. My tread on the front touched the nub on the shock below the spring. Lori has the same size but Swamp lites mounted on rzr LE rims. In a hard left turn the left tire rubbed the fire wall so she also has 1 inch spacers. So the combination gave us a slightly higher and wider stance. We both love our tires. Before I read this I lowered my air pressure to 8.5 psi. I guess I can drop it some more. I feel your steering vibration is actually coming from the tire. They advertise a smooth ride, above 15 mph I agree. Knowing your air pressure, I can presume this low pressure can also add to the cause of 'vibration' or rough ride. More evident on hard pack and asphalt. The differences in my front and rear tires, the center tread is longer than the rear. My rears are showing wear, but I am heavy on the gas ( prosthetic right foot, some time I don't feel it, but I drive fast when I can and I spin the tires alot). When I replace the rear tires I am going to use the 26x9x12 on all 4, I like the longer center tread better, and the tread is taller also.
Have you checked your tow in/out? Seems like alot of us have had to fix that, and it greatly improves the ride. Hope this helps some.
We, dad(stubby), lori and I go to Windrock and plan to go regularly this year. Also plan to go to Harlan Co, ky this year. We spend a lot of time at Turkey Bay at Land Between the Lakes (LBL). Hope we can get together with your group and do some riding.
We love our Aces, but it is not worth the cost for me to get a 570 yet.

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MrMud,
great ride.
I also have mudlite xl's. 26x9x12 and 26x10x12's. I mounted my tires on aluminum Rzr rims, the offset and tread required to use 1 inch spacers. My tread on the front touched the nub on the shock below the spring. Lori has the same size but Swamp lites mounted on rzr LE rims. In a hard left turn the left tire rubbed the fire wall so she also has 1 inch spacers. So the combination gave us a slightly higher and wider stance. We both love our tires. Before I read this I lowered my air pressure to 8.5 psi. I guess I can drop it some more. I feel your steering vibration is actually coming from the tire. They advertise a smooth ride, above 15 mph I agree. Knowing your air pressure, I can presume this low pressure can also add to the cause of 'vibration' or rough ride. More evident on hard pack and asphalt. The differences in my front and rear tires, the center tread is longer than the rear. My rears are showing wear, but I am heavy on the gas ( prosthetic right foot, some time I don't feel it, but I drive fast when I can and I spin the tires alot). When I replace the rear tires I am going to use the 26x9x12 on all 4, I like the longer center tread better, and the tread is taller also.
Have you checked your tow in/out? Seems like alot of us have had to fix that, and it greatly improves the ride. Hope this helps some.
We, dad(stubby), lori and I go to Windrock and plan to go regularly this year. Also plan to go to Harlan Co, ky this year. We spend a lot of time at Turkey Bay at Land Between the Lakes (LBL). Hope we can get together with your group and do some riding.
We love our Aces, but it is not worth the cost for me to get a 570 yet.

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE
The dealer set my pressure at 8 and recommended for this tire no lower than 7....after the first day of a rough ride on the difficult trails....I lowered the pressures. I did not want to go too low to prevent pinching the sidewalls. Lower pressure really helps on the difficult terrain but probably does not help at high speed cornering though....lol

The tires may not help with the steering wheel vibration, but at different speeds the vibration did not change....it reminded me of some Harley's I have owned....a resonate frequency from the engine/transmission mount that ends up in the steering. My sons VTX 1300 did this also. The vibration seemed pronounced in certain RPM ranges. Anyway...not a game changer for me, I will troubleshoot it a little more on the next ride.

I am always concerned about adding spacers. Have you had any wheel bearing problems since adding them?

Your rides look good....for my next set of tires, I really like the Mud Lite XTR's....little pricey though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
MrMud,
I will drop to 6 out on the trails to check between the two air pressures.
I have had no wheel bearing issues yet. And I changed the tires in December, put the wheel spacers on 12/20/14. Stock wheels to what I have on each wheel gained 20 lbs, +/-. I didn't go with thr XTR's due to cost, but may do that to the rears as I know I will change them first. I am keeping a front wheel as my spare, even tho the size is different, it will get me home or allow me to continue to ride. As we do have some long trips in the planning stage. Doing this will mainly help me keep the spare tire weight down.
As I am writing this I am also changing a inner right rear cv boot, and a quick shout out to Scoundrel, as I am using his 'How to' write up to do the job and seen your response. Thank you Paul.
Last year I had a Star 1300, loved that bike, no vibration issues at all.
Anyway, back to work.

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts