Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. We bought 2 570s here a couple weeks ago, and I outfitted them with the mini-windshield, winch, poly roof, upper storage bag, and the rear trunks. We really had a good time this weekend, and I was amazed how tireless I was when compared to trading off and on with the ATVs, etc.

2 things I'm struggling with. 1 is the rocks the tires are picking up and throwing end up in the passenger compartment, some get hurled down the road in front of me, skipping 2-3 times before sliding to a rest, some are lodging up in the engine compartment.

The 2nd thing, and much more invasive, is the dust being sucked into the passenger compartment. Of all the ATVs, 1-ups, side-by-sides, etc. we have in our family, we've known dust, but I've never seen anything suck dust into the compartment like these aces. So I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Fender flares, maybe extended floor board given how they cut in the floor board so much between the wheels? I know they have the mesh screens for the Commanders, RZRs, etc.

Any ideas, or better yet, first hand experience?

Thanks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
The Ace is a dusty machine. A rear windshield helps with dust being sucked in from the back. I have Polaris upper and lower doors. In my opinion, this helps more than anything else. It does trap heat inside the cab so I have insulated heavily to reduce the cab heat. My cup holder was useless until I installed the upper and lower doors because of dust and mud.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Anyone who has put on a rear window will tell you it cuts down on the dust in a big way. Changes the way the air flows.
Doors work really well for dust too.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Anyone who has put on a rear window will tell you it cuts down on the dust in a big way. Changes the way the air flows.
Doors work really well for dust too.
One thing I learned in Utah last year is that if you aren't running a rear windshield and put something such as the cargo box back in the bed you will get covered up with dust. It makes the dust swirl right into the passenger compartment. Take the box out and it will diminish the dust greatly, or get a rear windshield.
Yes doors will also help because they also change the airflow and the dust then cant swirl into the passenger compartment as easily

·
Registered
447 Posts
Below is a photo that I just took of my Ace. It has the Polaris upper and lower doors.

View attachment 4110

The upper door is the portion that has the Polaris decal. It did very little to help with the dust. When I added to lower doors, the air now flows around the Ace instead of into the cab. I ride in a heavily wooded terrain and before the doors I got not only dust inside the cab but also a lot of pine needles and oak leaves. The doors keep all the debris out of the cab but do trap heat. I also have mudflaps behind the front wheels. This helped a lot with the front wheels throwing rocks into the air and them ending up on top of the skid plate. The install of the mudflaps was not straight forward as the mounting holes in the flaps did not match anything in the Ace. I had to drill some holes and improvise a bit.

It has been a long time since I bought the doors so I don't remember the cost. I do remember that both the upper and lower doors cost a few hundred dollars each.

I don't ride with a front windshield when I am riding alone, unless it is very cold or raining. When I am riding in very dusty conditions with other riders, I will add the front windshield. It causes more dirt to enter the cab as there is a dead spot behind the windshield. However, it blocks the stream of dust from hitting me in the face. That is just my personal preference on how I handle dust. I do mount my front windshield a couple of inches off the hood plastic and that lets air in below the windshield and helps with the dead spot behind the windshield.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
How is it for dust with upper and lower doors,rear cargo box, and the poly roof installed and no front or rear windshields?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Polarbear, I cannot truthfully answer your question. I have not ridden a lot without the rear windshield. I installed that first, and it helped with the dust. Then I added the doors and they help eliminate more dust and debris that would collect in the cab. I can tell you that when riding in dusty conditions, the outside portion of the rear windshield gets covered in dust. I suspect that dust would have entered the cab area without the rear windshield. About a month ago I rode in a very dusty ATV park with lots of other people. My rear windshield collected so much dust on the outside of the windshield that I had difficulty seeing through it. I now carry a spray bottle of water and some shop towels to periodically clean it. Even with the doors and the rear windshield, I carry moist towelettes to clean the dust off my face. If you ride an Ace in Texas, you eat some dust.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Go faster than the dust.
Hahaha. I gave this a try going through 4inches of powdered silt. The powdery section of trail was a little less than 2 miles. Let's just say I could barely see and breath. I did bring home a nice 3 inch silt drift on the floorboards.

I've been looking into solutions as well, and think Hayseed's setup will probably be one of the better preventatives for cab dust.
Maybe we'll see a hard-shell cab with AC/heat at some point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts