Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I'm new here doing research as I am wanting very much to buy an Ace 900 SP.

I have to sell my other toy Harley Softail Slim to swing it, but with spring almost here shouldn't be long :)

I've been racing and into motorsports for almost 35 years, and can't wait to get an Ace :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome! I can't say anything about the 900 except I'd LOVE to have one but no way I can afford it. I have the lil 325 and absolutely LOVE it! Post some pics after you get it and there is a wealth of knowledge on here so any ?'s you have I'm sure can be answered. Welcome again! :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Welcome to the party and no matter what size ace you get, you will have a blast!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know I am kind of torn on which one to get...
I am seeing that you can get like 80mph out of the 900 with a BPM tune and a clutch kit but I dont really have a desire to go that fast on such a short wheel based vehicle on big tires lol
I also know I could skip doing the tune also....but knowing how I am, I wonder how long I could resist.
My mind hasn't caught up with the fact that my body isn't young anymore...lol

How much performance can you get with the 570 and a tune?
Would you need the clutch work?

I mean the 570 is wayyy cheaper and would offer substantially more mod money

Either way I go I am planing on dumping a lot of money to get it where I want it, after all it will be replacing my Harley ;-)
Which by the way I am sick to have to sell it but just can't ride it as much anymore.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Though it is fun to say that I own a 900, in my case and I really think in most cases a 570 would be more than enough and still have gobs of power on hand for any driver. Only reason I got the 900 is that I got impatient when the 2016 came out and no local dealers were getting 570's at the time(early Dec. 2015) because they needed room for snowmobile inventory.

At heart I'm still the 22 year old MX'er who raced over 1500 moto's under his belt that went on to race stock cars locally for many years. So still addicted to power at 52. But the ACE 900 is crazy fast even at the stock "wet blanket" throttle and ignition settings. I cant imagine why anyone would need more than that unless they have a death wish. Possible racers who don't want factory settings or duners that need everything they can get to overcome power robbing sand. Deep thick & sticky mud boggers probably could use everything from the 900 when running 27"+ mud tires etc.

So a lot depends on riding location and need. Here in NH or over in Maine, its all about woods riding. Enforced maximum speed limit is 35 here and I think 45 in Maine. So not much need for the available power of the 900 except for ego's sake, at least where I ride. Bone stock on my maiden voyage ride I did the mandatory 0 to WFO launch from a dead stop in 2wd. Best word I can think of to describe the experience was "violent". I have added @ 300 pounds with the hefty Polaris beadlock wheels and Pro Armor Attack 26" tires along with the additional weight in accessories and tools and its still has far more stump pulling low end then I need it to have. For my style of riding of course. No clutch kit in it ...yet. I haven't needed it yet as my local trails are flat and don't stress the machine. Soon as the mud season passes and the real tough trails open up will be the test for the stock clutches.

Another huge consideration is fuel mileage. 570's get almost double the fuel range as the 900. Same fuel tank on both machines. 570 sips while the 900 chugs.

But at the end of the day, its all up to you and what will suit your needs best. If you have the oppourtunity to test ride both at your dealer, maybe that will shed some light on what direction to get.

·
Registered
510 Posts
For what it's worth, I was going to get the 900 and got the 570 instead. I have no regrets. Even with all the accessories I added and extra stuff i carry, It still hauls the mail when I want it to and is all I need for the trails and service roads I ride. As said many times before ,the fuel mileage is excellent as well. Have fun deciding which one to get LOL!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, after a year I finally sold my bike and bought a 2015 VooDoo Blue Ace 570, I decided on this from advice about the gas mileage and other stuff that you guys provided me information on.
Thanks so much!

I already am hearing a loud clicking in the clutch area and the thing doesnt even have a mile on the clock, its also real hard to settle into a selcted shift position. It seems like its more difficult than it should be to get into the shift positions .
Is this normal?

I mean I know its new and tight but it seems hard to shift and settle into the shift positions and its rattling pretty loud.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK, after a year I finally sold my bike and bought a 2015 VooDoo Blue Ace 570, I decided on this from advice about the gas mileage and other stuff that you guys provided me information on.
Thanks so much!

I already am hearing a loud clicking in the clutch area and the thing doesnt even have a mile on the clock, its also real hard to settle into a selcted shift position. It seems like its more difficult than it should be to get into the shift positions .
Is this normal?

I mean I know its new and tight but it seems hard to shift and settle into the shift positions and its rattling pretty loud.
Hey Billy.. Congrats on the new machine! I can't speak to the clutch noise, but the tight feeling in the shift handle/linkage is typical for this machine.. I've taken to looking at the dash when trying to shift mine just to confirm it's in the desired gear..

Keep us updated as you mod your Ace.. a ton of fun this car :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
The clutch ticking noise is common. If it goes away when you raise the rpm's that is probably what it is. They also have a whirring noise that is common.
The problem finding the right gear is also common. It will get better as it breaks in but might always be a random occurrence. I wiggle my shift lever a little when going into low and reverse, especially when it is cold.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You're getting good advice, now here's mine. Go ride it, use the hell out of it, if it goes away, that's great, if it stays the same it's probably normal and nothing to worry about, and if it gets worse, use the warranty and get it fixed. But I think it's fine, for me at least it was just hard to get used to these belt driven things after shifting gears all my life.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will make a note to check the rattling noise when I am a higher RPM.

I am a pro musician and hear noises that most folks dont, this is a blessing and a curse at times lol

I already bought the trunk for the 570

My next buys are...
Front and rear extreme brush guards, nerf bars and the ROPS
Then probably a roof, and some sort of solution for the seat.
Then aluminum wheels and tires.
Then a Trinity header, muffler and fuel tuner, air filter, and clutch kit.
Then a winch.
and an extra drive belt.

That will do me for some time, not sure about the order I will do these in, but I am thinking the guards to protect the plastic bits will be the first group of mods I will do

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What would be a good alternative for the stock shocks?

I saw where someone replaced the springs with (progressive springs?)
Does anyone know about this or the model numbers?

·
Registered
510 Posts
What would be a good alternative for the stock shocks?

I saw where someone replaced the springs with (progressive springs?)
Does anyone know about this or the model numbers?
I put stock ace 900 rear springs(which are progressive) on my 570, I have made several posts about this including part #s . Do a search on this forum and check out the thread "any-one still going sway-less?"

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool will do a search thanks :)

I used Progressive (name brand) shocks and springs on motorcycles that I have owned so I assumed that they made springs for the Ace.
I will look for your post.

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
510 Posts
cool will do a search thanks :)

I used Progressive (name brand) shocks and springs on motorcycles that I have owned so I assumed that they made springs for the Ace.
I will look for your post.

I appreciate the help.
You're welcome! The ace 900 springs are not made by progressive,they are progressive. This means that they get progressively stiffer as they are compressed. I like the way they work on the rear of my 570 with no sway bar. Enjoy the forum, lots of good people and info here!:encouragement:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I appreciate that clarification, that was confusing right off the bat lol

I just sold a bike with Progressive 422's on the rear and Progressive monotube shocks in the front fork tubes :)
I was kinda hoping Progressive made springs OR shocks for the Ace because they make pretty good suspension parts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts