Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Ace owner, few weekends out testing in So Cal, Johnson Valley/Lucerne/Ocotillo/Salton Sea areas are my favorites. Long time 2 wheeler. Me and the missus (also a bike nut) love the Ace. Just joined the forum but first impression is that it is going to be a great resource. Looking forward to getting to know the members.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome Mad Max. The forum is very interesting to read. Lots of good info and pics (my favorite)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ran a couple of weekends, had a blast with the Ace. First question for the forum. I know it will feel better as experience and confidence in the machine kicks in, but is there any mileage in adjusting the the track width of the front and/or both axles to get more stability? I see 1", 1.5", 2" spacers are on the market. I'm a design engineer by trade so always looking for improvements but also understand that this may have already been "engineered out". Deep sand, trail driving, and hill climbing is my norm.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
There are some folks who turned their wheels inside out, and others who have installed spacers, and they love it.
If you don't have to worry about any 50" trails, then yes, spacers are a good option for lateral stability.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have two inch spacers and 27 inch tires. My rear wheels are now at 58 inches wide. It is a lot more stable. It does limit where I can go. However, since I ride mostly on my own trails it is not a problem for me.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Hayseed, do you feel much power loss from the 27" tires?

I have my 50" setup for tight trails, but I am considering putting some taller tires on a spare set of wheels for situations where I want more ground clearance and don't have to worry about trail width.
I want to know how much power loss I might experience from putting taller tires on.
One person on this forum went back to 25" tires after trying 26" ones.
I am concerned that 26" wouldn't increase my clearance enough to really make a difference, so I might want to try 27" ones.
But not if it kills my power.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Most of the trails that I ride are also ridden by midsized RZR's so overall width is no problem on most trails. Where there are tight spots, the short wheel base of the ACE helps greatly. I purchased the Polaris package 14" SIXR wheels with pro Comp 26x9x14 and 26x11x14 tires. If there was a decrease in power, I never noticed it. I like the addition STABILITY that this combination provides. Front 53 1/2 wide--- back 55 1/2. With the off set of these wheels, my tires are nowhere close to the front struts. Taller tires ARE in my future, I have noticed that on the steeper logging trails I ride, the bottom hits on the crest of deeper water breaks(but so does every other ATV and RZR that I ride with). Have not seen any lift kits for the ACE yet. An additional inch or two of clearance would be great if it didn't change the center of gravity too much!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Scoundrel, I think there is some power loss but I really cannot tell when riding by myself. I don't have a good way to measure it. Two friends are coming on Sunday with Aces with 26 inch tires. We will ride each other's Aces and see if we can tell. I bought the 27" Roctane tires to have something different from Greybeard and One-Shot. We will decide what tire we like best and change again at some time. Recently I rode at Barnwell Mountain in Gilmer, TX. They have a lot of eroded stream beds that are very slow speed, rocky trails. I had some clearance problems so I was looking for additional height. I'll post photos of the setup and the consensus on the power loss next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts