Polaris ACE Forum banner

new member from the Mitten State

6K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Scoundrel 
#1 ·
Well actually being the good daughter-in-law that I am. I sorta talked him into one after he rode in my husband's rzr 800. He likes it for the fact of the roll cage and he said he felt safer on it than his Can Am Renegade 1000 x xc.

#4 ·
Welcome where is the mitten state....never heard of it

Reactions: flatpickerray
#8 ·
Your right.......but I know where the thumb aint

#13 ·
Village there in Holland. Where'd you get yours at? I'm down for riding as soon as all the snow melts, which isn't fast enough. I'm looking at going to the Cedar Creek Trail and maybe up to Silver Lake. Plus I have a few small trails at the house that I'm always working on.

#15 ·
Village there in Holland. Where'd you get yours at? I'm down for riding as soon as all the snow melts, which isn't fast enough. I'm looking at going to the Cedar Creek Trail and maybe up to Silver Lake. Plus I have a few small trails at the house that I'm always working on.
x2 on Cedar Creek. We rode there a few yrs ago and it was tight and not very well marked trail. Only rode 5 miles and turned around and load the quads back on the trailer.

#7 ·
Greetings from the Sunflower state!!

#9 ·
Thanks for the welcome. We live in the unofficial Motorsports capital of Michigan, St. Helen. Oh my father-in-law will be getting the 570. Anything we should look out for?

#10 ·
Yes, after he gets it he may have these uncontrollable urges to smile and these urges may last for hours. I do have good news though.....no one has reported any lasting injuries from this situation, as far as we know, so at the most he he may receive a few smile wrinkles but that's about it. Good luck to you and your family

Reactions: fpoole
#16 ·
I rode cedar creek and silver lake with the Ace. Next time I go to cedar creek I want to hit the seasonal roads. I agree that cedar creek is too tight. But still had fun. I rode most of the trails and did indeed scuff the sticker off one fender. If I go again I'm bringing a tape measure and a hand-saw. Not many straight-aways for speed and enough whoops for the circus. But heck I can make most situations a good time. I got mine at Village, almost Babbits. I am also getting tired of the snow, simply too much for solid Ace fun at this point. Hoping for a spring without the monsoons of rain, to keep the mud at a doable level.

#19 ·
I have given up on michigan 50 in trails on ace. They all seem to just be to tight. Its the banked turns with trees on each side that destroy the ace. Unfortunately your better off riding routes and two tracks like rzr's. There are stretches that ace is awesome on 50 in only to have a section that destroys rear fenders or you can not get through at all. If your dead set on 50 in either get a welder to make some pieces to protect rear sides or sell and get a quad, because if you get caught cutting trees without permission thats big fine. I do think gladwin is rideable with ace, but those are pretty whooped out. St helen has sections you can do but stay away from ogemaw hills. The little O near baldwin is again, fun in spots but then you come to a stretch ace can not get through period.

#20 ·
I live in bay city. I reccomend st helen, because theres lots of two tracks and routes. Way more than what map shows. Not sure why they don't update maps because they show orv trail stickers so they are legal. The best marked routes that you can see on map is Kalkaska. Lots of riding there. I have been on some of the 50 in trails there too, and same story, some parts are fun on ace and others will make you angry because your rubbing. Michigan needs to get its crap together and make these trails so aces and 50 in rzrs actually fit. I see 50 in trail systems out west actually fit aces. Its to bad.

#21 ·
I agree, I guess that was a big reason I made this thing street legal many of the seasonal roads are way better then the orv trails. Seems like they're set up for dirt bikes but I don't usually see very many bikes on the trails. You should try the leota area if you haven't, lots of fun there.

#22 ·
I want to make mine street legal too. Not sure if I want to take my ace on cedar trail if it is that tight. Not sure how my sport quad would do. I could take that their and see how it is to see if the ace would fit. Since their seems to be a few of us in the area, we need to meet up and all go for rides soon. I'm free weekends unless it is my AF Reserve weekend. Let me know, it should be a blast!

#28 ·
Will do.

You are allowed to ride roads in northern michigan unless its M road.
From what I was told down here it has to be street legal with high/low beam, horn etc. Not sure if there is some different rules per county or not, I'll have to take a look into it.

I live in St. Helen, the unofficial Motorsports Capital of Michigan and the membership chairperson for our local ORV club. I mostly drive my 570 rzr, but I'm sure if I'm nice enough my father-n-law will let me drive his Ace, which he'll be getting tomorrow thanks to me. I know the trail system around here pretty well without using my gps, but still take it with me just in case I get stopped by a LEO that tells I shouldn't ride in a certain place when I know it's legal.
I love it here in St. Helen. We have an orv jamboree the 2nd weekend in August, with a sand run, mud bog, obstacile course and an orv pull. We've been coming here since 2009 for it and well we live here now. It's something not to miss.
Have you guys heard of Trek to the Mighty Mac Oct. 1-3, 2015?
Have to check this out too. I might try to make it up there for that. The first weekend every year I go to the Tail of the Dragon with my car in TN/NC with a group from my car forum, which is way too fun! I'll let you know when the time gets closer though.

#25 ·
I live in St. Helen, the unofficial Motorsports Capital of Michigan and the membership chairperson for our local ORV club. I mostly drive my 570 rzr, but I'm sure if I'm nice enough my father-n-law will let me drive his Ace, which he'll be getting tomorrow thanks to me. I know the trail system around here pretty well without using my gps, but still take it with me just in case I get stopped by a LEO that tells I shouldn't ride in a certain place when I know it's legal.
I love it here in St. Helen. We have an orv jamboree the 2nd weekend in August, with a sand run, mud bog, obstacile course and an orv pull. We've been coming here since 2009 for it and well we live here now. It's something not to miss.
Have you guys heard of Trek to the Mighty Mac Oct. 1-3, 2015?

#27 ·
You joined DirtPackers St. Helen or Atvoffroad Club of Michigan?

Trek to the Might Mac was a dream of a friend of mine John Chadd. Unfortunely John passed away before his dream became reality. John helped shaped the offroading what it is today here in Northern Michigan. Here's the website: www.trekthemightymac.com

If you're planning on going I'd give a hotel in St. Ignance a call to reserve a room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.