Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. New to the ace game. Seems like I heard of the ace years ago but my cousin recently rented an ace rs1 and that got me thinking...
First off I apologize, this post got really long.... :oops:
Since moving out to an area where we can access trails from our back yard we have been getting into ohv's. It started with one 4 wheeler, (1984 Suzuki lt125), then a second one (2000Suzuki Quadrunner 250 4x4), then selling the first and adding a 98 quadrunner to the mix. So basically I would ride the 4x4 with my daughter on the back (with a storage box/seat, it's legal where I live) and my wife would ride the 98.
My wife, who grew up riding dirt bikes, but hadn't ridden in 20 years then decided she wanted a dirt bike instead of the atv... I tried to talk her out of it, but we finally got her a yamaha ttr125 to start....
She claimed to love it but never wanted to go riding. "The trails are too rocky".... That's pretty much what we have around here, rocky trails or sand, and she doesn't like riding in sand either...

About this time my daughter was getting a little big for both of us (me, 6'2", 240lb, her a taller than average 12 year old) to be riding on a 250cc atv so I started looking for an upgrade. It came down to a 2 up atv, or a 50" rzr. Long rides on an atv bother my arm, old injury (cut to the bone), so I decided on an rzr, despite never even having ridden in one... I mean, they wouldn't be killing the atv industry if they sucked, right?
So, we picked up a 2019 rzr 900 trail. Completely stock but added a half windshield and winch at the dealer, then a jemco storage box later. We quickly found that a half windshield sucks on chilly 30°f days, so added a full windshield and put the half away for summer.
Then, one day I made the mistake of letting my wife drive my rzr. She loved it, and wanted to get a second one.
Unfortunately that just wasn't possible, as there is no way to get a double axle trailer where we park our trailer, it has to be parked with a trailer dolly due to a tight 90° turn, and I couldn't find a single axle trailer with the capacity to carry two rzr's, even 50" models...

So, this brings me back to my cousin renting the rs1, and rediscovering the ace... not an rs1, but a 48" wide ace is light enough that a single axle trailer can carry it and a 50" rzr, and short enough that it can go sideways on our trailer (with angled side rails), it's 48" width plus my 9' long rzr 900 trail both fit on a 14' trailer. It's like it was made for us... So the search was on for an ace.
The 325 was right out, it might keep up with my rzr 900 on tight trails most of the time, but not on the long stretches of dirt road we sometimes take between trails.
Ideally I wanted a 570, but after months of looking all we were seeing were high milage 325's for $5-$7k.... A 500 popped up once in a while but was always gone before we even got a chance to call.... We even resorted to looking up to 600-700 miles away in hopes of finding something... Apparently all the aces are on the east coast.... Driving 1200 miles to get one was out of the question....
Then a 900sp came up locally. Not just local but a 20 minute drive away... I had not heard of the 900sp so I had to look it up, but found it would work because it was the same size as a 570.
It had a winch, front and rear windshield, lower doors, aluminum roof, 26" bighorn 2.0's, even a polaris overhead sound system.... For $8500... That was a little over our initial budget, but since we wouldn't have to add anything to it, we went for it....

And wow. I think I understand why they only made this for 1 year. It really is too much. But in a good way imo. It's just not the kind of machine I would loan out to an inexperienced rider... We are taking it slow to learn it's limits so as to stay within them, but we can already see we are going to have a LOT of fun with this machine!
Here it is with my rzr. It really is to bad they stopped making the 48" wide versions. I can see a second one in our future when my daughter decides she doesn't want to ride with me anymore...
Hopefully there are still a few people around in case I have any questions or issues down the road....

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can never have too much :) Welcome to the family! Sadly i think i joined a bit too late too. I didnt even hear of them until late 2019. I got a ACE 900 SP luckily in April 2020 this dealership in North Carolina was dumping them for 6399 stock. . luckily there are a lot of threads already for troubleshooting. I love my 900 ACE - it goes everywhere i point it. my girlfriend loves hers, which i got her after she flipped off my sportman and crunching her head on a rock and getting a concussion. She was "just going to get firewood". i felt so bad first day of our camping trip. I feel much better now that she has the cage. I guess im one of the few ACE afficianado's. you guys look great. Don't do this to your ACE (my girlfriend is really special, she will find a way)

Plant community Plant Tire Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can never have too much :) Welcome to the family! Sadly i think i joined a bit too late too. I didnt even hear of them until late 2019. I got a ACE 900 SP luckily in April 2020 this dealership in North Carolina was dumping them for 6399 stock. . luckily there are a lot of threads already for troubleshooting. I love my 900 ACE - it goes everywhere i point it. my girlfriend loves hers, which i got her after she flipped off my sportman and crunching her head on a rock and getting a concussion. She was "just going to get firewood". i felt so bad first day of our camping trip. I feel much better now that she has the cage. I guess im one of the few ACE afficianado's. you guys look great. Don't do this to your ACE (my girlfriend is really special, she will find a way)

View attachment 31135
Im late to the game too. Lotta fun but aftermarket is slim. I have the 900xc! Enjoy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey everyone. New to the ace game. Seems like I heard of the ace years ago but my cousin recently rented an ace rs1 and that got me thinking...
First off I apologize, this post got really long.... :oops:
Since moving out to an area where we can Access trails from our back yard we have been getting into ohv's. It started with one 4 wheeler, (1984 Suzuki lt125), then a second one (2000Suzuki Quadrunner 250 4x4), then selling the first and adding a 98 quadrunner to the mix. So basically I would ride the 4x4 with my daughter on the back (with a storage box/seat, it's legal where I live) and my wife would ride the 98.
My wife, who grew up riding dirt bikes, but hadn't ridden in 20 years then decided she wanted a dirt bike instead of the atv... I tried to talk her out of it, but we finally got her a yamaha ttr125 to start....
She claimed to love it buy never wanted to go riding. "The trails are too rocky".... That's pretty much what we have around here, rocky trails or sand, and she doesn't like riding in sand either...

About this time my daughter was getting a little big for both of us (me, 6'2", 240lb, her a taller than average 12 year old) to be riding on a 260cc atv so I started looking for an upgrade. It came down to a 2 up atv, or a 50" rzr. Long rides on an atv bother my arm, old injury (cut to the bone), so I decided on an rzr, despite never even having ridden in one... I mean, they wouldn't be killing the atv industry if they sucked, right?
So, we picked up a 2019 rzr 900 trail. Completely stick but added a half windshield and winch at the dealer, then a jemco storage box later. We quickly found that a half windshield sucks on 30f days, so added a full windshield and put the half away for summer.
Then, one day I made the mistake of letting my wife drive my rzr. She lived it, and wanted to get a second one.
Unfortunately that just wasn't possible, as there is no way to get a double axle trailer where we park out trailer, it has to be parked with a trailer dolly due to a tight 90° turn, and I couldn't find a single axle trailer with the capacity to carry two rzr's, even 50" models...

So, this brings me back to my cousin renting the rs1, and rediscovering the ace... not an rs1, but a 48" wide ace is light enough that a single axle trailer can carry it and a 50" rzr, and short enough that it can go sideways on a 5' trailer (with angled side rails), it's 48" width plus my 9' long rzr 900 trail both fit on a 14' trailer. It's like it was made for us... So the search was on for an ace.
The 325 was right out, it might keep up with my rzr 900 on tight trails most of the time, but not on the long stretches of dirt road we sometimes take between trails.
Ideally I wanted a 570, but after months of looking all we were seeing were high milage 325's for $5-$7k.... A 500 popped up once in a while but was always gone before we even got a chance to call.... We even resorted to looking up to 600-700 miles away in hopes of finding something... Apparently all the aces are on the east coast.... Driving 1200 miles to get one was out of the question....
Then a 900sp came up locally. Not just local but a 20 minute drive away... I had not heard of the 900sp so I had to look it up, but found it would work because it was the same size as a 570.
It had a winch, front and rear windshield, lower doors, aluminum roof, 26" bighorn 2.0's, even a polaris overhead sound system.... For $8500... That was a little over our initial budget, but since we wouldn't have to add anything to it, we went for it....

And wow. I think I understand why they only made this for 1 year. It really is too much. But in a good way imo. It's just not the kind of machine I would loan out to an inexperienced rider... We are taking it slow to learn it's limits so as to stay within them, but we can already see we are going to have a LOT of fun with this machine!
Here it is with my rzr. It really is to bar they stopped making the 48" wide versions. I can see w second one in our future when my daughter decides she doesn't want to ride with me anymore...
Hopefully there are still a few people around in case I have any questions or issues down the road....
View attachment 31132
Welcome
I rarely come on here anymore,I joined when I first got my 16 900SP also,but just like most forums I belong to most everyone has moved to Facebook groups,not much action going on in here.If you want to unleash more horsepower buy a tuner.
Here's before and after video of mine,everything stock except snorkel,if I remember correctly it took my 0-60 time from around 17 seconds to 9-10 seconds

·
Registered
22 Posts
You are the party! We have a 900sp we love it. This year, I plan to put a winch and plow mount plate On it, it is such a toasty warm vehicle. If you have a cabin heat problem, I know lots of workarounds. My lady used to get super hot in itI am naturally cold blooded so I like it warm. This is a valuable forum and Facebook groups just don’t cut it for me.

On ours, some mods include the MTX stereo, the Polaris flip windshield, mirrors, 5 point harness and seat belt override switch, and maxxis big horns, with a slightly wider offset, we now clear 50” gates by millimeters but we do clear them. It handles a lot better by being widened slightly but maintaining stock height. if you increase tire diameter you can run into all kinds of wear and stability issues, I trust engineers over entrepreneurs.

When on my dirt bike, my lady who has great skills can go literally anywhere I go on single track, sometimes she is too slow to match bike, sometimes she is too fast to match bike, and it dusts the heck out of me and her, but we have a complete blast. I cannot stress how great the Ace is, it is a great tool for anyone to go anywhere.
I wouldn’t be that surprised to see the Ace concept make a return to the exploding market. When Polaris cancelled 900, kids were flipping them, parents calling lawyers but nobody really buying them. If they could just sell enough,they cold justify the risk of liability. The other big problem I see is that many buyers justify the purchase by saying “I’m gonna put the kids in it or the wife or the dogs.“ I would expect a ace XC comeback before the ace 900sp. It is much harder to roll the XC, even with 78hp. 900sp is a one off Crazy rig. If there was ever an “expert“ ATV this is it. In the wrong hands it is going on it’s side. You would think this would be apparent by looking at the design, but when looking for Aces, (always looking)I always look to see if it has been rolled, many of them have.

Personal tip? I run a little higher psi in the front tires. I’d rather have a little push and slide then grab and dive especially at speed. If you have your tires soft for crawling or smoothness or whatever, you need to be very careful At speed. Also, leave it in 4 for high speed runs, in 2wd it likes to wind up backwards with short wb and excessive torque. it is the 911 turbo of the off road world. More to come!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I can definitely agree with all of that. In my rzr 900 I switch off 4x4 any time I put it on high, but my wife leaves her ace in 4x4 all the time too because she says it gets squirrelly in 2wd at speed.
We were considering a 900xc but it's like out trailer was built to side load the ace 900sp, it fits with litteraly just enough space to slide the ramps between the rail and the tires, so the extra wheelbase of the xc would mean we need a new trailer.
So instead we added 2" wheel spacers to the sp, and holy cow does it make a huge difference. You wouldn't think 4" of width would make that much difference, but it does!
So much that I got a set for my rzr900 trail.

Ours came to us with the polaris overhead radio, 4 point harness, lower doors, tree kickers, bumpers, winch etc, but only 1500, miles, and doesn't look like it was ever rolled.

We have a prp seat on order that should actually get here within the next week. The stock seat is ridiculous if you ask me. Even with the harness tight you slide all over on side hills and turns. I can't imagine trying to drive it with the stock seatbelt....

We love ours, but are actually thinking about finding a 2017+ 570, to get the better front suspension. If I have one gripe,(other than the seat) it's the front suspension. It's just terrible, no other way to describe it.

Ours also came with a disconnectable rear swaybar, and we finally tried disconnecting it and wow, it makes a big difference in comfort. Just following behind her I can see the difference, as her head no longer whips side to side when her rear tire hits a rock. We don't do anything high speed so we have just left it disconnected, but still have the pin just in case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would also be interested in what you have tried to mitigate cab heat. We have a 12v fan in there blowing on her legs right now and it helps, but it's still hot. I have another idea I'm thinking about but need to wait till her prp seat comes in so I know how much room I have to work with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts