Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Yep Newb here User name Rockinjester. Real name is Bobby. I have a feeling this won't be my only post and hope to learn and share with all of you. I took in a 2015 Ace as a partial trade last night with the plan on using it as a tow vehicle for my drag car. Appearance it is in excellent condition. Issues are. It has 1 head light out. and the check engine light with the code 0 - 168 - 3. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so thought I would search for some related story's to test and pin point the problem(s). The Battery is holding charge steady even tho it looks to small. Box is a little bit wider. Cleaned all the WV red clay out that was packed into the voltage regulator. dis connected the battery, touched the positive and negative cables together to clear the memory, Hooked everything back up and started it up. Instant cel. It runs good. Sorta have to baby the throttle if moving in small areas or just putting around. let the rpm drop below 1400 rpm it will die. Open it up it runs pretty good but once the throttle is released the rpms drop and it will shut off. At idle testing at the battery 14.36 volts. Dash lights, and all other lights on. As soon as I take the rpm over 2k the cel light goes out along with only the dash light. Voltage reading will spike to 18v. Head lights and Tail lights continue to operate as they should. Question. 1. Can a blown head lamp cause this? I know it is possible within automotive. 2. voltage regulator is faulty? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If the battery load tests good, I would look into the rectifier/regulator. Anytime you have a runaway/overcharge of 17 volts or more, they'll start popping bulbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the battery load tests good, I would look into the rectifier/regulator. Anytime you have a runaway/overcharge of 17 volts or more, they'll start popping bulbs.
The cel light went out with the replacement of a headlight. I took it for a ride yesterday. Not to bad but I was expecting a little more rpm and speed. On a flat road it tops out at 50 mph at 5050 rpm. That seems low to me. The cel light will return periodically but only when the regulator fins get full of mud/grass. I know they need to keep cool but it is located in a poor location. I'll fix that. I noticed that the steering rod and universal shaft at the connection to the steering box has some excessive wobble. When I rock the wheel its got over 3" of play and doesn't seem to steer very sharp. Looking down onto the steering box when I turn the wheel to the right the right arm pushes up then out. Turn the wheel left it pushes the arm downwards then out. Both about the same amount of actual play . So from the wheel being at 12:00 the wheel will cycle to the 3:00 and 9:00 before the wheels move. Excessive? What can I do to get quicker throttle response and a higher rpm? Spring behind the drive? Thanks for the help 4getful2.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I purchased one of these off eBay and installed it on my dash. I can always know the voltage being put out. Only the size of a 50 cent piece.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello everyone. Yep Newb here User name Rockinjester. Real name is Bobby. I have a feeling this won't be my only post and hope to learn and share with all of you. I took in a 2015 Ace as a partial trade last night with the plan on using it as a tow vehicle for my drag car. Appearance it is in excellent condition. Issues are. It has 1 head light out. and the check engine light with the code 0 - 168 - 3. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so thought I would search for some related story's to test and pin point the problem(s). The Battery is holding charge steady even tho it looks to small. Box is a little bit wider. Cleaned all the WV red clay out that was packed into the voltage regulator. dis connected the battery, touched the positive and negative cables together to clear the memory, Hooked everything back up and started it up. Instant cel. It runs good. Sorta have to baby the throttle if moving in small areas or just putting around. let the rpm drop below 1400 rpm it will die. Open it up it runs pretty good but once the throttle is released the rpms drop and it will shut off. At idle testing at the battery 14.36 volts. Dash lights, and all other lights on. As soon as I take the rpm over 2k the cel light goes out along with only the dash light. Voltage reading will spike to 18v. Head lights and Tail lights continue to operate as they should. Question. 1. Can a blown head lamp cause this? I know it is possible within automotive. 2. voltage regulator is faulty? Thanks in advance.
You mentioned all the WV red clay packed in the voltage regulator. If you are having spiking voltage, your regular is probably bad. Polaris put it in a position to get plugged and burn out. I have a friend that has the 2015 570 and 900. Both had the V regulator go out at the same time. You can find them relatively inexpensively on eBay. He moved both his and I have a 570 and I moved mine to in front of the left rear tire before it burned out. I welded a flat piece of metal on the post in front of the wheel so I did not even have to extend the wiring. Those are fun little machines. On the Rzr they put them more in the open so they do not burn out.

As for the small battery. The battery housing is the same on the 900 ACE and they installed a much larger batter in it - so you can upgrade to a larger battery if you want but will have to adapt a way to keep it from hitting the seat rail if you turn yours over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mentioned all the WV red clay packed in the voltage regulator. If you are having spiking voltage, your regular is probably bad. Polaris put it in a position to get plugged and burn out. I have a friend that has the 2015 570 and 900. Both had the V regulator go out at the same time. You can find them relatively inexpensively on eBay. He moved both his and I have a 570 and I moved mine to in front of the left rear tire before it burned out. I welded a flat piece of metal on the post in front of the wheel so I did not even have to extend the wiring. Those are fun little machines. On the Rzr they put them more in the open so they do not burn out.

As for the small battery. The battery housing is the same on the 900 ACE and they installed a much larger batter in it - so you can upgrade to a larger battery if you want but will have to adapt a way to keep it from hitting the seat rail if you turn yours over. View attachment 31062
It seems to be fun. It think the people who had it prior to me never took much care of it. I was reading about the steering shaft stabilizer kit. Looks simple enough to protect the box. I think mine may he a little to gone to save tho. Looks like kits are available to. Help this thing get a little more rpm and speed out of it. I'm going to replace the regulator and relocate it plus get another battery. There are a lot of things I'd like to do with it. I'm a chassis builder and may Fab up some accessories for it. Bad thing is no seat for my wolf. He thinks it's his.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is really cool. How's it doing these days?
it's seen better times. I hit a hidden concrete culvert at 45 and ripped the right a arm and axle off. Busted the steering box too. Got everything to put it back together. Except the rack and pinion. Can't find 1 under $499!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts