Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, what do you think is happening here. This tire has these dents right by the rim on several locations. It is possible that I hit something but I'm not for sure it was at that exact location. Any thing I should worry about? I've heard that the factory tires are junk so maybe this is another example of that. Anything I should attempt to fit? I've never seen a tire do this before.

IMG_4087.JPG

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
That does look like you hit something - but usually when that happens the rim is bent too.
I could see that happening if you hit something a little softer than a rock - like a stump or something, and the bark got stuck in there, rubbing the tire a bit, and then came out.
If you could scrub the heck out of it with a stiff brush and some soap and take another picture, that might be helpful.

But most likely you just hit something, and it's probably not a big deal.

There were some bad runs on the factory tires. Some people got tires that were weather cracked right out of the factory.
In general, factory tires are fine for light use but if you ride aggressively or in challenging terrain you'll chew them up.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The more I look at that, the less it looks like rubbing damage and the more it looks like a casting problem with the tire manufacture.
Hard to tell from photos though. Maybe if you took some more from different angles.
But if you have concerns, go see your dealer while it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Check you tire pressure first. If it is low, it could be you have bark, twig, dirt or some kind if of foreign material wedged between the bead and the rim. I've had that happen before especially when running low tire pressure. Again, hard to tell from picture. Is it in just the one spot or more places than what's pictured.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have something similar or my right rear tire. No picture to post. Noticed it after I left the dealer when I was applying wax. Tire is not low; 21 miles on the machine.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I'll attach a couple more pics just for the heck of it. I'll talk to the dealer about it, what I found most interesting is that it's only on one tire but in about 4 spots. I have been on some narrow trails and its very possible its just from hitting roots.
IMG_4089.jpg
IMG_4090.jpg

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Yeah, that is not a normal occurrence.
Notice how the little rubber hairs sticking out of the tire are stuck in the bead?
It seems like either the tire didn't get mounted right, or it's actually malformed there.
It's possible this is the result of rubbing against a root with low tire pressure, but I dunno.

Anyway, it's not a bad idea to ask the dealer to take a look.
You could take the wheel/tire off and bring it in loose, and it shouldn't be a big deal for them to pop the bead and have a closer look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts