Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered a 570 and plan to install the aftermarket EPS. I also need EBS for the steep trails I ride. My question to everyone is: Why can't you just install a primary clutch one way bearing part# 1521172 used on the 2013 RZR 800LE? In checking part numbers the 2 way bearing is the same on both machines. But the LE comes with the 1 way for the EBS.
Is there another factor that must be considered? Belt type, etc. I have a 2013 800LE with a trail clutch kit which includes springs, weights and modified helix. I don't see where anything else needs to be changed but the bearing to make the Ace have EBS. Comments please...

Thanks,
Norm

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
What does the one-way bearing do for you? I understand how the bearing itself works, but not how it affects the clutch and how that translates to the rubber on the road, and why you'd want it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Scoundrel,
I have 2 500 Sportmans and the RZR 800LE with the feature and it works great going down steep rocky grades for control. At 8mph or less you just tap the throttle and the engine holds the machine from free wheeling and having to use the brakes.
I haven't figured out how it actually works but my guess is the primary clutch sleeves are open at the idle position and the belt rides the bearing but it won't roll. Thus when you tap the throttle the belt rides up a bit and gets pinched and at idle the clutch is still tied to the drive train holding the wheels from free wheeling.
The dune and desert rides really don't need this feature but most of us mountain riders like it.
When the 570 arrives I'm planning to install the 1 way bearing and test my hypothesis. If it works I'll let everyone know.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Hmm.
Seems like the ACE already does that, except the weight of the machine easily overwhelms the small motor and it starts picking up speed and RPM anyway and I have to use the brakes anyway.
Maybe it works better with a 570 motor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From my research the 2014/2015 have a two-way primary clutch bearing Pt# 3514609 witch does not give you the EBS feature. So I'll replace that bearing with the one-way bearing Pt# 1521172 . I'll let you know how it works. No telling when the 570 will arrive. My dealer was at the show and ordered there but some on the forum have indicated a mid to end August time frame. Who knows?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hmm.
Seems like the ACE already does that, except the weight of the machine easily overwhelms the small motor and it starts picking up speed and RPM anyway and I have to use the brakes anyway.
Maybe it works better with a 570 motor.
Mine does the exact same thing, Scoundrel, however, if you let the engine get below a certain RPM, it begins to "free wheel". I was riding with my brother, and he has a certain section on his property that is a 45 degree slope. I was able to leave it in low gear, and do as you mentioned, use the brakes to keep the speed down and yet keep it from going too slow. I hope that the one-way bearing works. If it works on the Sportsman 570, it seems like it should work on the ACE. Someone else posted on another website that the transmission in the ACE won't handle it. I don't know what the major differences are, and why that is true... If it turns out that this is the only difference between the Sportsman 570 and the ACE, then what Norman was talking about may be a good answer to the EBC question.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Yes, free wheeling does happen once the clutch is disengaged. I don't like to let that happen much because I don't like the way it sounds. :)

For me, personally, I think this falls under a rule I have, for my own machines: Add as many accessories as I want, but keep the core functions stock.
You won't see me installing a tuner, clutch mods, turbo kit, etc.
For things like descent control, I just figure out how to ride the machine as it is.

I am not saying others should not do so, just that I choose not to.
No offense or condescension or anything negative toward those who do. Takes all kinds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
norman am heading to Reno the 14th to see the Polaris set up for Vegas to Reno hope to talk to a Rep about the EBS . We need that more then PS also hope to see & ride a 570. Flatbed59

1 - 15 of 15 Posts