Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A tragic end to a day of riding for my good friend .... Turning around on a table top and went over the side into a ravine about 50' down. I was right there when it happened and used the ACE to pull his quad off of him and keep it off until he was airlifted out of the ravine. Multiple broken bones, severe cuts, contusions over the whole body and was in radiology for MRI & Cat Scans when I left the hospital last night.

View attachment 2846
View attachment 2847
View attachment 2848
View attachment 2849
View attachment 2850
View attachment 2851

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your friends crash Texan. Will keep him in my thoughts and prayers

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Very sorry to see this happen. Was the misfortune avoidable? Any saftey takeaways for new riders like myself?

It seems like it could happen to anyone.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was a pure non preventable accident, nothing more. He was turning around on a table top and had his left foot on the running board, with his right knee on the seat so he could see as he backed up. As he neared the edge of the ravine, he went to use the brake and he accidentally hit the gas. He does have an extended gas throttle arm, other than that, I see no way to say it was preventable, other than not get into any situation where you have to back up to turn around.

I was very impressed by the Honda he was riding. After the tumbling trip down the ravine and being on its side for over 1½ hours, we rolled it on its wheels and drug it up the ravine with our winches. Got it back on top, checked the oil, tried to put the broken boxes and plastic back into a semblance of order, pulled the handlebars back to a halfway usable position, put it in N and hit the starter. It started immediately and was ridden the 8+ miles back to civilization.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
That is impressive. I wondered about the state of the ATV and how you got it home, but it didn't seem appropriate to ask, given the state of the rider.
But, since we're talking about it, where did you find an extra rider? Or was it the "ride it back, ferry someone back for their own rig" sort of thing?

My dad had a similar accident a few years ago. He was on a narrow trail, had to back up to take a run at a large root that had been stopping his progress.
But when he backed up, he put a rear wheel over the edge, overbalanced, and down it went.
He jumped off at the top and was unharmed. The ATV barrel rolled about 300 feet down a steep ravine.
It missed too many trees before finally hitting one, which it wrapped itself around.

We had to call in a helicopter to retrieve the ATV, not the passenger. The chopper lifted it out of there and set it down perfectly on our trailer.
At home I tore it down, tallying up replacement parts needed as I went. At first it didn't look too bad, but kept getting worse.
When the extraction tool bent and got stuck in the clutch, making it then necessary to cut the crankshaft in half, I called it a total loss.
Fortunately, in this case a "total loss" was about $3500 (used replacement cost). That was the day I bought ATV insurance.

Anyway, dad forked over the money for the helicopter service, bought another (used) ATV, and we moved on.

View attachment 2854

·
Registered
131 Posts
Texan, sorry to hear about your friend. That sucks for everyone involved, especially the guy that actually wrecked. Unfortunately this will go down as another ATV accident statistic to be used against the industry by the folks who think our sport is too dangerous. Two words... Cage. Harness.
This is why I quit riding quads. I don't heal like I used too.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scoundrel said:
But, since we're talking about it, where did you find an extra rider?
We had one extra person that was riding shotgun in a Rzr. His personal machine was a Honda, so he was comfortable with it.

luvdamud said:
Two words... Cage. Harness.
I was giving serious thought to dumping the Ace after my dealings with Polaris last week and going back to a quad. However, after watching that and just answering the phone while typing this, I will be staying with a cage and belts.

Just got word that Charlie is out of surgery, but may end up losing his leg. That decision is at least a week away though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Texan
Sorry to hear about your friend and riding buddy. I hope the doctors can save his leg and that he will heal quickly.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
We had one extra person that was riding shotgun in a Rzr. His personal machine was a Honda, so he was comfortable with it.

I was giving serious thought to dumping the Ace after my dealings with Polaris last week and going back to a quad. However, after watching that and just answering the phone while typing this, I will be staying with a cage and belts.

Just got word that Charlie is out of surgery, but may end up losing his leg. That decision is at least a week away though.
Yeah Texan....I understand your thoughts about keeping the ACE . Sometimes we get all upset over some of the smaller issues such as your headlight, but I'm sure had he been in your ACE HIS damage would not have been as severe, and he might have walked away from it. The ACE plastics may be cheap and not supported well, and mildly expensive, BUT it will be much cheaper to fix you if you take a tumble in one
Tell your friend we are thinking about him and hopes he has a speedy recovery. And you are right about the plastics. just don't seem very important right now after this happened

·
Registered
421 Posts
Texan
Sorry to hear about your friend and riding buddy. I hope the doctors can save his leg and that he will heal quickly.
X2 So sorry to hear that about a fellow enthusiast. My prayer are with him and his family. God Bless.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Texan, sorry to hear about Charlie. Thanks for posting his first name. I will say a prayer for Charlie. My daughter is a doctor and a couple of years ago did a study of ATV accidents in the surrounding counties. The 9 or 10 county area where we live has a much higher than the national average of severe ATV accidents. She studied the cause of 8 really bad accidents. When she saw my Ace for the first time, she said the design would have prevented all 8 of the bad accidents. I will keep my Ace with its cage. Many involved two people riding on an ATV. Some involved the passenger falling off and being run over by another ATV.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all that are sending prayers to Charlie, as he needs them. They did the first surgery on his leg yesterday and have scheduled a 2nd for next week. They also told him if there is any infection in the leg, that in all probabilities he would loose the leg. They also had him back in for another CT today, as there appears to be something wrong with the right knee. The one thing in his favor, is that he is an old farmer and is in excellent physical condition. Will keep the forum up to date with his progress, as any of us could be in his situation.

·
Registered
173 Posts
That's so sad! We are all praying for an excellent speedy recovery for Charlie! Thanks for all of the updates! Thank goodness for great friends and for medical personnel!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry, Texan, but I'm always clumsy with words at times like this. Please let Charlie know that he's got a whole lotta folks pullin' & prayin' for him, his family, and friends ... including total strangers up here in "Vee-Skonn-Zin."

Take care of yourself too, Texan.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts