24 Posts
Polaris PS-4 Oil Change Kit Sportsman ACE Models - New 2202166

Polaris Part # is 2202166

Includes - 2 Quarts of Polaris PS-4 Oil and a OEM Polaris Oil Filter

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other than the oil change, what else should I do in terms of maintenance? How many zerk fittings are there? What sort of grease should I use? Coolant type?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Team
I'm not trying to sound glib or anything, but dig your owners manual out. All of the specifics are listed in there. I had mine right out there in the shop with me on my initial first service. There is a lot of info and specs on all of the items to service in the manual. If you are not going to use the high priced Polaris oils, about six weeks ago there was a posting here on the forum of equivalent oils that is cheeper, IMO just as good that are readily available at your local auto parts stores or Wal Mart. Also, when you buy the high priced Polaris oil filter and open the box, you will be shocked to see that it is an ordinary Fram oil filter. I guess they are proud of Polaris boxes. I use K&N (kn-116) oil filters. They are better filters and cheeper than the Polaris filter.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I found a fram filter for the ace on eBay for $8.79 w/free shipping! Same filter just not paying for the Polaris name on the box. Gonna use it and Mobil 1 synthetic in mine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Scoundrel
Polaris. 2521231
Fram. CH 6096
K & N. kn-116
Wix. 7671

When I purchased my first Polaris filter, I opened the box and the Fram # was stamped on the filter.
K & N filters are cheaper than Polaris and more expensive than parts store Fram.
I have not used the Wix filter. That number was crossed from the Fram filter number.
Duane and I counted pleats in the Fram and a K&N. If memory serves me correctly the K&N had 5 or 6 more pleats than Fram.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Scoundrel
Polaris. 2521231
Fram. CH 6096
K & N. kn-116
Wix. 7671

When I purchased my first Polaris filter, I opened the box and the Fram # was stamped on the filter.
K & N filters are cheaper than Polaris and more expensive than parts store Fram.
I have not used the Wix filter. That number was crossed from the Fram filter number.
Duane and I counted pleats in the Fram and a K&N. If memory serves me correctly the K&N had 5 or 6 more pleats than Fram.
Stubby, wally world has Purolator PL14610 or PL14612, both fit and they are $3.27. I used them on my last sportsman and they work just fine. One is slightly longer than the other. Now this is for the 570 not the 330

·
Registered
13 Posts
i haven't had my ACE long enough to do oil change but I bought the KN-116 filter. Since folks say the polaris filter is really a FRAM. I'm not down on FRAM but I just think the KN is a better filter. But, the polaris filter comes with a new o-ring and the KN doesn't. Does anyone know a part number for just the o-ring or where I can find an aftermarket o-ring?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
No Stubby, the 330 have the canister type filters and the 570 has a spin on

·
Registered
80 Posts
ace mustang I don't think Polaris would have separate part just for the o ring it comes with there filter which is a fram re numbered for Polaris. if they do let us know I don't care for fram either.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
In my experience, o-rings under aluminum caps like this last a LONG time and do not need to be replaced with every oil filter.
So you could get a Polaris filter with O-ring every 5th or 10th time you change the oil, maybe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my experience, o-rings under aluminum caps like this last a LONG time and do not need to be replaced with every oil filter.
So you could get a Polaris filter with O-ring every 5th or 10th time you change the oil, maybe.
i totally agree with you Scoundrel that the O-ring would last 5 or more oil changes. Just for grins I found more info about the O-ring with the Fram filter which I posted here. in case that URL ever expires here's a picture of that page too. So I was thinking of stopping by a parker hydraulics store to
see if I could find some O-rings with those specs.

FRAM - Part Details

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts