Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just hit a chain that was hung across the trail while snowmobiling in Alaska. It mangled his face and is lucky to be alive. I'd post a picture of the damage but it's a bit disturbing. The idea of dropping $5k on tracks for the Ace suddenly seems very appealing compared to investing in a snowmobile.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your brother. I assume you are referring to the open cockpit of the snowmobile vs. a cage like on the Ace?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Ouch, that really sucks. Do you think it was a trap set by environmentalists, or just an accident?
Something else to consider is that Snowmobiles can, and often do, go upwards of 75mph.
The 570 ACE tops out at about 65 mph, but with tracks, probably 35mph.

That is one thing I often worried about when riding ATVs.
I have become a lot less concerned about such things as wires strewn across the trail with a roll cage.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I'm referring to the roll cage protection. He thinks he was going under 50. It was at night, the chain broke, and his helmet also helped lesson the damage (assumably). I doubt it was an environmentalist, he was riding in Alaskan wilderness but evidently onto some private property. I'd love to test drive the tracks to see what they're like. Our fire department has a Ranger 900 (I think) with tracks. They use it for dune fires. It's loaded down with a 400lbs water tank and other gear so it's fairly slow. They said its easy to put on the tracks though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts