Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
Just wondering if there's any interest in doing "Overnight/multi-nighter rides?

I know Scoundrel has done one (UT) or more and I'm certainly getting setup and would look forward to do them.

It would be a simply pack up your RZR, gas, tent/bag/stove and go. While some trails can be done in one day, we could just take our time and campout for a night or so..

In searching the RZR forums, they are hidden very well, so I was looking at the "Jeepers" to see what they have.
I did find a Colorado series of "Funtreks" and there are various groups, possibly ATVs? don't know, but I did hear talk of some in the Central Oregon SXS and the Sourdough trail are other possibles..

I was just wondering if there's much interest in doing that or not. Obviously, it would take time for the further out ones, but within a 4-hour radius there might be some for a 1 or 2 nighter.

Thoughts??

ps. I'm just exploring what's available and any resources you can point me to would help the cause. UT will be looked at as they have many I'm told, but closer areas? Washington, Oregon, Idaho?

Fun..

Water resources Body of water Stream Water Watercourse

·
Registered
61 Posts
Howdy,
Just wondering if there's any interest in doing "Overnight/multi-nighter rides?

I know Scoundrel has done one (UT) or more and I'm certainly getting setup and would look forward to do them.

It would be a simply pack up your RZR, gas, tent/bag/stove and go. While some trails can be done in one day, we could just take our time and campout for a night or so..

In searching the RZR forums, they are hidden very well, so I was looking at the "Jeepers" to see what they have.
I did find a Colorado series of "Funtreks" and there are various groups, possibly ATVs? don't know, but I did hear talk of some in the Central Oregon SXS and the Sourdough trail are other possibles..

I was just wondering if there's much interest in doing that or not. Obviously, it would take time for the further out ones, but within a 4-hour radius there might be some for a 1 or 2 nighter.

Thoughts??

ps. I'm just exploring what's available and any resources you can point me to would help the cause. UT will be looked at as they have many I'm told, but closer areas? Washington, Oregon, Idaho?

Fun..

View attachment 3499
I am doing a family outing for Cinder Hills OHV for the end of May - 28th through 31st approximately. Cinder hills OHV is nine miles north of Flagstaff, AZ and I've never ridden there. I am also planning a trip to St Anthony's dunes for the week before the 4th of July. It is also a family trip with multiple families meeting up.

I would enjoy meeting any other Ace or quad owners on these trips. I would like to perhaps do a Utah trip late summer or early fall... I can usually take 3-4 days if I have notice.

Ted

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ted, sounds like fun...

Just to clarify if you would, you're talking about going to one spot, parking/camping there for a few days, ride and then pack up and head back home..

What I'm looking for is doing like a "Backpacking" trip on SXS/ATVs or whatever on over-night or multi-night trails.

I would suggest if you're doing the Camping at one spot and riding out from there and back on a daily basis I would recommend you post it as a separate ride so other's can join you at that location if you'd like.

I know there are several going over to St Anthony's at various times and a few riders in Idaho that go there all the time for a meetup...

Sounds like fun, SFV? huh? heheh, I'm from Pasadena and used to work in Studio City/Granada hills? fun.. good to get away...
thanks..

·
Registered
61 Posts
These two trips are basically camping trips as families are involved though non family members are welcome. I would be interested in a backpacking style of trips... I wonder how much i can pack in the back of Ace... Yes, I am in Chatsworth area of SFV... Don't see many Aces around Los Angeles. Mostly Razers etc.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I just wanted to clarify... It'll be awhile before I get anything going, I just wanted to see if there was an interest at all.

Packing, just think of it as a back packing trip with a backpack. ACE will hold a backpack and fuel no problem..

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would love to do a trip like this but since I live in Oklahoma it's unlikely we would get to meet up. I would like to spend a week like this on the Paiute trial someday but I have no plans as of yet. I did build this trailer when I had my Teryx4 so that if I ever go the chance I'd have enough room to carry all the gear & supplies I'd need for me and my family. We now have a XP 900 and an Ace 570. I think the Rzr would handle it ok but I need to buy a hitch for it. Pulling a trailer would definitely take some of the fun out of the Rzr tho

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice setups...
I don't know how the trailer would work. I would just guess, that it can go pretty much anywhere a 4-wheel can go except over big stuff? or tight turns? not sure how that would work, but you should be able to pack everything on the buggys themselves without much problem...

Nice...

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
On the Paiute ATV Trail, with a RZR that is wider than 50", a little trailer behind it would be fine - because there isn't really very much "trail" for a wider vehicle to ride, and it's all pretty smooth.
If your RZR is 50", and they REALLY MEAN 50", not 54" or 52" - they are SERIOUS about that, then you could fit on all of the trails (it would be a very tight fit on some of them), and the trailer would not work out well.

http://www.aceforums.net/forum/10-ace-pictures-videos/714-ace-paiute-atv-trail.html

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, since we're on the topic of the Paiute or any other 5-day overnight trip, I just reviewed the 5 utube vids... but noted several things..

Gas - was the 5 gal you had and looks like 3 RotoPax another was carrying, can't tell if 2 or 3 gal enough
Water- again 5 gal on the leads atv.

I read what the "Game plan" was compared to what actually ended up to be, but did you gas up back at the cabins or just used what was originally on there.

Just wondering about the Gas & Water taken vs used..

thanks...

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
We gassed up at the various small towns in the area, and didn't actually need the gas cans at all. But they were there just in case.
On the last riding day, I did intentionally skip gassing up, to see how far I'd get on a tank. That's when I got 135 miles on a tank and actually ran it dry.

One thing you have to be aware of is the huge elevation changes, the corresponding changes in pressure, and the boiling point of fuel at high elevations.
If you go during a hot month, and store the gas can in the bed right over the exhaust, your gas can could spring a leak and cause a fire.
If your can does not leak, and you open it at a higher elevation, it might implode when you go back down, deforming enough to cause a leak.

I checked mine and "burped" the vent every time we stopped. It usually hissed a little when I popped the vent.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the original route got you to the small towns in time for gas without any problems...

I noted you mentioned that due to rain, some went back to cabins and was thinking that they gassed up there.
And if you were able to "Gas Up" on the 'riginal route' as planned, then water was not a problem either...

Gas, can, I thought they had a relief valve on them... guess not.. hmm...

thanks..

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The guy that planned the trip did a great job of putting us at gas stations at the appropriate mileage.
When we went back to the cabins due to rain, we did gas up in town before heading out again, yes.
Water was not a problem. We all had tons of water stashed in various places on our rigs, some in bottled water and some in cans.

Maybe modern, expensive gas cans do. But I was not gonna spend $85 on a freaking gas can, ever, much less for one trip.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an after thought...
Would a 50" 900 have a problem at all? didn't look like it but you mentioned turns might be a problem in general on 50" trails.. I didn't see anything that might cause a problem, but?

thanks..

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The tightest, twistiest trail I was one was called the Max Reid trail, and it had a couple of really tight corners where I had to do a 3-point turn in the ACE. A 900 RZR would find that trail very challenging, and not in a good way.
But most of the trails had more give to them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yah, Coop,
I'm looking forward to getting over there, even just camping at a base camp and riding out each day would be great...

I understand you have some great wide open trails over there... and up against Idaho... fun..
thanks..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yah, Coop,
I'm looking forward to getting over there, even just camping at a base camp and riding out each day would be great...

I understand you have some great wide open trails over there... and up against Idaho... fun..
thanks..
Yea camping is the usual route we take. If you come up to the northwest part of the state you will have to let me know I have a group that goes out quite a bit

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nice setups...
I don't know how the trailer would work. I would just guess, that it can go pretty much anywhere a 4-wheel can go except over big stuff? or tight turns? not sure how that would work, but you should be able to pack everything on the buggys themselves without much problem...

Nice...
Thank you, I built the trailer so it would track directly behind the Teryx4 (62") and with 13" of ground clearance and the low pressure atv tires it is remarkably capable and easy to tow. Most places around here aren't width restricted so anywhere the Teryx will fit the trailer will too and if I get in a tight spot I can unhook and move the trailer by hand. I use it a lot on my family's hunting lease and it has proven itself there, but I'm ready to use it for the purpose I built it instead of what I used to justify it. I know you described this as a back packing trip so I'm probably not the guy you had in mind, I'm more of the bring everything and the kitchen sink type of camper. My version of roughing it isn't too rough. LOL

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Coop:
I'll be planning on taking you up on that next year for sure...
Looking forward to it..

BDK:
LOL, kitching sink, yah, I hear that.. I'm the same way. While the "Camping on the Trail" trip was what I was thinking about, the wider road camping works well too, especially after a lot day.. all those Kitchen sink things make life a little easier... and sinks make great Ice holders for "Bee... er, Beverages?" heheh, fun..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.