Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received a PM yesterday from someone asking about this. Below is the question, and my answer.
I thought that this was a very good conversation to have out in the open, for other people going through the same thing, so I asked teh user if it was OK for me to re-post it publicly.
And here it is:

I live in northern NY and we mostly run on trails that are seasonal roads and snowmobiles in the winter. The problem I am having is the local dealers and other RXR riders are all chuckling about me wanting to look into getting an ACE 570. I have read many of your ventures and comments and from them I know your front end has been a problem but besides that you seem very positive of your ace. The RZR group I have ridden with all run 1000 or 900's and as I have told them I think a single seater would be a blast and I get the chuckling of ya have fun as you tip over with that small stance or we have to set and wait for you to catch up. The two dealers even said it is nothing more than a atv with a shell on it to draw atv riders into the protection and look of a RXR without any of the fun or performance of a true side by side. I am really lost and do not mind investing in a wider stance or a taller and wider tire or a lift for more clearance. I know from your experience being one of the top guys here with honest opinions I think all this heckling is they have a bigger toy and me being single riding something that looks good yet smaller is a ego thing. I weight about 250 and about 6'3, so I wanted your opinion more than the opinions of others that only sell or ride RZR's. Wish you the best and if you can help answer some of my questions it would be great. Thank You
My Answer:

The short answer to your question is: Buy whatever vehicle makes you happy, and screw the naysayers.

Also, I think if you did buy one, and you either let them go for a short ride in it, or just proved it can keep up, they would very quickly shut the hell up and quit razzing you.
The story is the same again and again. People who have not ridden an ACE trash-talk it, and people who have ridden one respect the machine.

But there are some questions you will need to ask yourself and provide/find the answers to:

1. Will you even FIT in an ACE?
I'm not talking about your weight, that's no problem. I weigh 220 and am 5' 9". My friend Graig weighs 350 lbs and is 5' 10" and he fits fine, and even the underestimated 325 has enough power to carry him up a steep muddy hill climb. From what I have heard from other guys, 6' 2" seems to be about the cutoff for fitting comfortably in an ACE. Tall guys complain that their knees are up around their ears and they can't turn the steering wheel without interference. But it all depends on whether you have short legs and a long upper body, or long legs and a short upper body. Everyone's shaped a little differently, and it will make all the difference in the world in the ACE. There's plenty of headroom but not much leg room. So try to find one you can go sit in - or better yet, ride. Is there a place that rents them out? Maybe you could post your story on the public forum and see if there's anyone in NY that would be willing to go riding with you and let you try it out if you convince them you'll be gentle with it.
This is the most important question you must answer, so focus on this first. It really is a deal breaker, so don't agonize over all of the other stuff until you know if it CAN work for you.

2. How fast do your friends ride on those seasonal roads?
You've ridden with them before, you know how fast they really ride most of the time, regardless of how they boast. Do they cruise at 40 MPH? 50? 60?
If those roads are twisty gravel roads in the mountains, maintaining anything more than about 45 MPH seems insane to me. Maybe they hit 60 MPH for a while on straight stretches.
I rarely exceed 50 MPH in my 2010 RZR S, and when I do, it's usually on a very long straight stretch, and for no more than a couple of miles.
The 570 ACE can sustain 60 MPH, plus or minus a few MPH depending on rider weight, tires, windshield, etc. It's near the vehicle's top end, but it can do it. The thing is comfortable cruising at 45 MPH.

3. Do you ride in the snow?
The ACE does not have great ground clearance. So if you ride in the snow, the ACE may not work well for you.

4. Do you ride on a lot of really severe off-camber stuff or deep ruts?
I've ridden the ACE through trails where ATV riders were leaning off the side, putting their foot against the bank, etc, and I just drove on through.
The low ground clearance on the ACE, and the way the weight is distributed means that it's planted pretty well. It is narrower than the 60" RZR, and has a shorter wheel base, so it cannot handle the same extremes, but it does pretty well. If you did not have width restrictions you could add 2" spacers and 26" or 27" tires, and you'd be able to handle everything that most RZRs can. The XP 1000 would have way better suspension, that is true, but the XP 1000 costs $20K.

5. How comfortable (physically) do you want to be while riding?
The ACE rides harder than the RZR models with improved suspension (S, XP, etc.) There is no denying that. After riding the ACE for a bit, I get into the RZR and it feels cushy. Some of that is the larger tires. Some of it is the A-arms with longer travel. If those roads have a lot of rocks and potholes, you'll feel a little more beat up at the end of the day in the ACE than you would in a RZR with good suspension.

Some additional thoughts:
Stance and lift
It is pretty simple to add wheel spacers and larger tires, and that will help with stability and a bit with ride comfort and ground clearance. But adding lift is a bit trickier. There are cheap 2" lift kits, but all they really do is add spring preload, which makes the ride rougher and more prone to tipping over. To really lift it, someone has to build a custom suspension for you. New A-arms, axles, shocks - the works. That ain't cheap.

Dealer Opinions
{The two dealers even said it is nothing more than a atv with a shell on it to draw atv riders into the protection and look of a RXR without any of the fun or performance of a true side by side.}
This is flat out bullshit. The dealers want to sell you a side by side because they cost more. You can never believe their opinions. They are biased by their need to make more money.
I have ridden many shapes and sizes of ATVs many thousands of miles. In November 2010 I purchased a RZR S 800, and have put more than 2800 miles on it. I have about 1600 miles on the ACE. So I think I am qualified to say that the ACE really DOES give the riding experience of a SxS, and is NOT just an ATV with a roll cage. You are sitting IN the machine, not ON it. You have a full seat with backrest and seat belt. You have a steering wheel, gas pedal, brake pedal, and a shifter in exactly the same places as they are in the RZR. It's a personal-sized RZR. the ground clearance and suspension in the ACE are no worse than the original RZR 800, or the RZR 570. But the power to weight ratio on the ACE 570 is MUCH better than the RZR 570, and probably the RZR 800 too, but I don't have the numbers on that.

Tow vehicle economy and flexibility
If you do decide that an ACE works for you, then you will be the one laughing, all the way to the bank. The machine costs half as much, for starters, but it does not stop there. The ACE will fit in the bed of most pickups, so you don't NEED a trailer. A trailer may still be advisable, but you can go with a much smaller one, which costs less. And since the smaller trailer weighs less, it doesn't drag down your gas mileage as much. If you want to put it in a toy hauler at some point, you won't need a 28 foot hauler to get one with a garage big enough. The ACE will tuck into a 14 foot toy hauler. Again, that translates to purchase cost, weight, and fuel economy.

Strut problems
Yes, it seems you've seen the threads about my struts. I ride my vehicles hard, and the ACE's strut design is weak. No way to explain that away. But not many other people are reporting broken struts on ACEForums, so it's more about the ACE not holding up to my riding style than it having a fatal weakness. So what is your riding style? Is there a fab shop nearby that could make you a set of steel ones?

Fitting in
I know that when riding with a group of RZRs, I tend to feel more like I "belong" if I am also in a RZR. But I think that after the group is established, any awkwardness about that quickly vanishes, once the "different" machine and rider prove themselves. I don't think it's worth an extra $10K just to fit in with the crowd better.

True friends will want you to be happy, regardless of whether you choose the same as they do or not.
That's all I can think of. I hope this helps your decision.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Feel free to chime in with your opinion on the subject - especially if you have both and ATV and an ACE, or both an ACE and a RZR, or all three, and can provide some perspective on differences between the machine types.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Feel free to chime in with your opinion on the subject - especially if you have both and ATV and an ACE, or both an ACE and a RZR, or all three, and can provide some perspective on differences between the machine types.
Good job Scoundrel Nothing else really needs to be said

Reactions: Scoundrel

·
Registered
93 Posts
I personally feel if width is not a concern you should get Rzr S 900. It is more money so if that is a concern the 570 ace will keep up fine unless your running stuff that is wide open all the time. The suspension and power is noticeablably better on 900 S. My dad has rzr S 900 and had I not been worried about width I woulda went with rzr all day. I would however take ace 570 over the rzr 570 50 in version. I don't know your friends but im guessing there just giving you crap and don't really care what you ride as long as you keep up. Width/money is really the deciding factor imo. If the extra 4-5k is not a huge deal to you go rzr. If iyou go ace 570 its a nice machine and will keep up in trails, but not wide open road like trails.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Scoundrel, that is a good assessment of the Ace. The one thing that I would add is a comment about leg room. This summer I broke both bones in my left leg near the ankle and was in a cast for three months. I found that getting into the Ace with a cast on the left leg was difficult, but not impossible. During this time I drove a RZR 570 and a RZR 900 XC. I found that both of them actually had less leg room for the left leg than the Ace once I got my cast into the Ace. I don't know about all the RZR models, but the two that I drove had the left foot rest behind the left fender well. Because you sit in the middle of the Ace, the left leg goes all the way forward to the firewall. I had a much easier time driving the Ace that I did either RZR with a cast on my left leg because of this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Everyone I ride with either has a RZR S/XP 800/1000 or Rhino 660/700(I also own a Rhino 660). At first people were skeptical about how my Ace 570 would keep up but after seeing it in action they are all believers. Wherever we go I get stopped by people who want to ask questions and talk about the Ace(usually by RZR owners), never had anyone say anything negative. I purchased my Ace 6 months ago and am very pleased, the machine is not perfect but none of them are. Since I bought the Ace the Rhino has been relegated to work around the property as the dump bed is handy. Buy what you want and what works for you, it's your money spend it on what makes you happy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
great explanation scoundrel. I have a couple of friends that are 6 4 and 6 5 they really cant fit in the ace very easily.they like mine but cant drive with there knees up over there head. they gave me crap when I first brought my 33o ace out but on the stuff we drive on they aren't waiting on me to catch up.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
That may be true, but that never stops people from adding their opinion anyway! :D
And I usually I have one buy just couldn't find it...lol

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
If they made an 8 seat RzR, some dude would buy it and swear on the bible that everyone who does not have one is missing out. If the thing only came in yellow with a black stripe he would deny it looked like a bus.

·
Registered
344 Posts
... well my thoughts on it:

I had an XP1k 2 seater and loved the hell out of it and will get another one eventually, but.....

My next machine will be an ACE 570, 2016 if they make some changes, otherwise an end of year sale '15.
I consider them different, yet the same.

I like the ACE, never drove one, but sat in one and like the single seat. Having followed Paul in his ACE, trail riding I was pressed to keep up, so it's not about HP or whatever else you might think of for trail riding. I am a slow driver and try to be a careful driver, but there was never a problem of ME, in the XP, waiting for the ACE to catch up. I was following him and he'd have to wait, thank you very much.

I only had the XP up to 76mph once just to see, but normal speeds on straight always would be 40-50 or and not for any length of time. (excepting Mackay Rally - long roads there and should trailer them, as in 123 mi RT)

I know I'll like the ACE and the other reason I'm getting one is for the under 50" trails. Even in sand dunes, Sand Lake, OR i would run about 30-45. the only advantage I can see would be not being able to "Floor it" and hit the Big dunes, but so what? heheh, it's not a test to see how high you can climb till you flip over...

Anyway, you're getting what you paying for.. same basic riding, the question is just, do you want to climb Mt Everest or can you work it out and be happy with under 50-mph, which is all I ever hit most of the time... usually on trails it's 20-30 maybe and the ACE can do that very well.

As Paul said, "Fit" will be the key and unless your group is riding down a freeway, you'll do fine.. besides, no one waits for you anyway, heheh, certainly not at forks in the road, just joking...

fun, it's just about cruising around out there and enjoying having fun...

Next stop? an ACE...

fun...

fpoole_Elbe1stRide-127.jpg

·
Registered
420 Posts
what scoundrel said...if you fit and like it do what you want.
I like them all and they all have their own personality...you have to pick what fits you and your typical use.
oh and...remind your friends you aren't in jr high anymore and unless they are buying they can shut the hell up about what you spend your money on...lol :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
To all: Great responses! Scoundrel, great write up! I have a very well equipped RZR S 800 and I'll tell you this, it's going to stay in the garage for my first trip to Colorado this year. 570 Ace may have just taken its place as the most trail capable ohv. With some 26 or 27 inch tires, 4+3 and 4+4 offset wheels, ground clearance and stability are not an issue Taking donations for the Walker Evans shocks and struts.............😅

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 Rzr 900 (outgoing xp) and a ace 570 and the ace out ran the Rzr in a drag race in the sand repeatedly. On hard ground it may have been a different story but on sandy river bottom it is every bit as fast as the Rzr, maybe faster. It is clearly not going to be as stable as a 64" Rzr nor do I recommend landing big jumps but I can attest that the 570 ace is anything but slow. Keep in mind the Rzr xp 900 is still one of the top 5 fastest utvs on the market. Here's the list to my knowledge. Maverick 1000 turbo, Rzr 1000, maverick 1000, Rzr XP 900, Wildcat X 1000. All of which are at least twice the price of the Ace 570. I had a couple buddy talking crap on the ace too but after seeing it and driving it they changed their tune.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the green Ace with the 32 HP engine. I'd like to have had the 45 HP, just for schlitz and giggles, but I wanted green for hunting and there were no green Ace's with the 570 engine. The dealer here said white was the most sought after color.
I needed the narrower Ace to fit in my truck, I didn't want to buy a trailer to get it around. It is easier to get around in the truck without a trailer.
And on a lot of public lands that can be hunted around here, there is a 48" wide limit on ATV/UTV's. There is also a lug height limit, I found this out the hard way with a ticket several years ago.
My wife doesn't like 4 wheelers, she don't like sitting on top or the handle bars. This one is like driving a car, she has no shifting issues or driving issues.
We are both happy with it so far. Only thing to make it better would be a bigger rear rack system. And I am not used to the high revs at low speeds. It's hard to sneak up on animals while high revved up at 5 mph.
I have only had 3 wheelers, Honda mainly. My last one lasted close to 14 years with only 1 overhaul due to muddy water getting into the crankcase thru a vent.
I have found that these newer ones have so many nice options that the 3 wheelers didn't have, like everything on the dash. You now know speed, rpm, hours, miles, gearing... ect.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Birdkiller Here just put both the 570 and 325 on the ground this last week. The 570 is mine and I'am 6 2 335 and the 570 done every thing I ask. The ride is not about keeping up it is about the ride and enjoying yourself. If you friend's are real friend's they should not care what you are riding as long as you are enjoying yourself. Do what you want life is to short to worry about anyone else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts