Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping around on line but thought I would ask here also, anybody have a line on the best place to buy Pit Bull tires. If you've never had a set you should give them a try, best tires I've ever had.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Lonnie I went with a 2 " lift,12" sti headlocks (for more side wall to run at low pressures) and the 26.5 pit bull growlers ,very very happy amazing transformation!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran the PitBull's on my CanAm and had right at 4000 miles on them and still had plenty of tread. The ride and handling were second to none and I've ran many different brands. The only problem is the cost on them, my last set was $450 delivered to my door and now it will cost around $650 to $700. Thats a lot of money for Atv tires but they are well worth it. I'm hoping to find them on sale somewhere but you never see them on sale.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can give ATV tires atv parts atv wheels atv accessories Suzuki Polaris Honda a try. I've bought from them in the past and the owner is a really cool guy. Just give them a call and they will probably work with you on a price. I think Pit Bull tires are by far some of the best tires you can buy, BUT I won't be putting them on my Ace because of weight. They are super heavy compared to other tires and will rob your Ace's power big time! I will however be putting them on my Maverick when my BigHorns are ready to be replaced!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im running the 6 ply pit bulls with STI beadlocks they were in line with others, $870 ) entire package with lugs caps delivered
What a tuff tire handling and 2WD wheel rock crawling,amazing they just hook up.
Works great in mud cleans right out write ups says its great snow because it cleans out so well
Also more stable with the tuff sidewalls even with the a 2"lift kit at 2 and 3 psi!
Going to disconnect the sway bar for the next ride and see how it handles
It transformed the ace, it just goes anywhere and with no drama!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im running the 6 ply PITBULL growler and they are one tuff tire and hook up great IN 2WHEEL DRIVE,it has transformed the ACE different machine all around more planted and control even with the 2"lift.
night & day between stock.It blows me away what it does in 2WD.
I only have one ride,and do not feel any power loss as a matter of fact I think it launches and runs the trails better because of traction wheels are hooking up not spinning and has way more control due to traction and firmer sidewalls.
I have not had it up to 50 mph because trails did not allow.
Truly climbs like a mountain goat just walks up steep rock climbs, dirt hills, muddy steep stream embankments all with no drama.Tractor like.
Stupid steep side angles and no tippy issues, climbs out of and stays out of sloppy mudded ruts with ease, point shoot and it goes. sidewall traction and firmer sidewalls
It handles sooooo much better.
check the pit bull website I think the 8 ply would be OVERKILL for the weight of the ACE ,I think i can run these with no air if i had to.
I was with with a group and the commented on the quality of the tires and the deep rim guard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, I think i've figured it out.... The Growler XOR's are going to be the 6 ply and the Growler UBER XOR's are the 8 ply. According to Pitbull's site though, you can't get the Growler Uber in 25's. 26's are the smallest they make them, but they have the Rocker UBER XOR's in a 25. Also looks to be about a 2 lb per tire weight difference between the 6 ply and 8 ply tires. Does anyone know how much the stock Ace tires weigh? I found the weights on Carlisle's website Carlisle Transportation Products, but since I have not picked up my new Ace yet I wasn't sure which Carlisle tires were on it? I'm guessing it's the A-C-T HD tires???? Someone let me know please so I can figure out the weight difference going from stock tires to which ever brand I decide to upgrade to. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Just some data points here for comparison:

Code:
[B]Tire                   	Size          	Tread Depth	Weight[/B]
Carlisle AT489*   	25x8x12    	16/32        	14.1
Carlisle AT489**   	25x10x12    	16/32        	18.7

Maxxis Bighorn   	25x8x12    	28/32        	23.6
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0  	25x8x12    	23/32        	18.4
PitBull Growler   	25.5x8x12 	32/32        	25.2
Sedona Rip Saw   	25x8x12    	36/32        	26.9

Maxxis Bighorn   	25x10x12    	28/32        	27.8
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0  	25x10x12    	23/32        	22.7
PitBull Growler   	25.5x10x12 	36/32        	31.5
Sedona Rip Saw   	25x10x12    	36/32        	31.7

Maxxis Bighorn   	26x9x12    	25/32        	25.2
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0  	26x9x12    	25/32        	21.2
PitBull Growler   	26.5x9x12 	32/32        	30.6
Sedona Rip Saw  	26x9x12    	36/32        	32.6

Maxxis Bighorn   	26x12x12    	25/32        	29.9
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0   	26x11x12    	25/32        	25.7
PitBull Growler   	26.5x11x12 	36/32        	38.8
Sedona Rip Saw  	26x11x12    	36/32        	38.4
*Stock front tires on the ACE
**Stock rear tires on the ACE

References:
Carlisle
PitBull
Maxxis #1 - This site did not have weights, so...
Maxxis #2

·
Registered
24 Posts
Those are some huge weight gains from stock to aftermarket tires! So my question now is, is a clutch kit required for aftermarket tires to adjust for all that extra weight?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Required? No.
Might be helpful? Sure.
Maybe not as big a deal with the 570.
Not sure if anyone makes a drop-in kit for the ACE yet, but I am sure that the parts are the same as some RZR models.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure most know this but PitBull tires run large, the 25x8x12 are more like 26x8x12 and so forth. They are some what heavy but really not to much more than any other good tire.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I'm sure most know this but PitBull tires run large, the 25x8x12 are more like 26x8x12 and so forth. They are some what heavy but really not to much more than any other good tire.
Note that in the chart above Pitbull lists their measurements as 25.5", 26.5". Also note that the weights are listed. Link to the full product line at the bottom.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the 6ply on my CanAm but it was a 800 so any power lost was not to noticeable. I just really liked the tires for how they worked and how long they lasted. We spent a week in Moab riding the slick rock and they worked fantastic.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Clutching Question, does the 325 ACE have the same drivetrain as the 570 ACE and the 570 RZR?
Polaris sells the Ripsaws and and the Moto Attack 8 ply as kits for the Ace which are both as heavy or heavier.
The Ace its rated to tow 1500 lbs more than most and the same as some of the big boys with 800's.
Its rated to have a several hundred pound load in the bed and on the front rack.
So is the 325 over engineered for the HP & torque it puts out and is the weight of tires really an issue?

Myself I tend to use low range on hill climbs and tight woods trails and when needed and high range on more open trails.
The ace seems to be geared low and in the trail riding zone,does not feel like its bogging or stressing or slipping.
I see most on Quads and RZRs spinning and ripping up the technical rocky trails stressing the drive trains ripping up tires.. front ends bouncing left.. right .the ace just tractors up no spinning smok'in tires just rock crawls
The advantage may be the low HP and nice low torque it doesn't tear it up just puts the power to the ground and the tires grab like fingers.
Descending on very steep inclines where most Quads are on the edge, back tires lifting guys trying to sit back on the racks ......I keep the clutch engaged no brakes and she holds her ground, very controlled
I do warm it up and ride light for a while to warm the belt.

MY 2C

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just received Growler XOR BG2.5's and Vision 159 4+3 wheels from Discount Tire Direct last night. Actually still waiting on one that's coming from another warehouse. They are beefy meats. Very nice looking package. I weighed the mounted tires on a bathroom scale for comparison to the stock Carlisle's.
(stock sizes)
Front: Carlisle 24lb Pitbull 34lb
Rear: Carlisle 27lb Pitbull 43lb
Certainly a significant weight increase. I'll post more opinion once I take it out for a ride.
It's interesting to note, that if you do the math the stock steel wheels must only weigh about 9-10lbs using the known weight of the Carlisle's and the absolute accuracy of my bathroom scale. :)
The wheels are wider than stock and also a different offset resulting in a rear width of 54 1/2" and the front about 51 1/2" by my tape measure.
I don't think I'll run as much air pressure as with the stock tires due to the increased stiffness. Just as a ballpark comparision the Pitbull's seem stiffer with 3psi than the Carlisles do with 9psi.
Just for kicks, I let all the air out of the tires and they didn't go flat. If they wouldn't come off the rim I think you could drive out with a flat tire.
Post ride comments
I got a chance to take it for a ride after Christmas. Overall an improvement in almost every way. Better traction goes without saying. Better handling in all conditions especially when things get mucky. Confidence inspiring over rough terrain. Feels planted, hooked up, under control. None of that tippy feeling it had with the stock tires. Being four inches wider probably contributes to that. I should say I'm running 3 psi currently. Even at that, the Growlers are stiffer than the stock Carlisles with 7 psi. Ride might be a little stiffer than it was before, but not harsh in any way. Now, the Growlers are about 50% heavier total than stock. In high gear, I can't say that the Ace felt perceptibly less powerful, although it didn't seem quite as quick as it was before. A bit sluggish maybe. I took seemingly a little longer to get up to speed. After riding for a while it seemed normal and I got used to the difference. I didn't have perfect conditions for a top speed run, but it did go 45 mph on a gooshy fire road going slightly uphill. In low gear I couldn't tell any difference in power at all. In fact it felt more like a tractor than it did before. Must have been the better traction. I didn't even put it in 4 wheel drive. Overall, I believe the Growlers are a huge improvement over stock. To me, the slight performance hit due to increased weight, is outweighed by their advantages in every other way.
View attachment 2459
View attachment 2538
View attachment 2539
View attachment 2540
View attachment 2541

Just a note on Discount Tire Direct. I had a very positive experience with their customer service. They had an issue with one of the wheels they had in stock that had a scratch and called me about it, and gave me a couple options. I opted to get another wheel shipped from a different warehouse, hence the extra shipping time. Very pleasant to work with and on the ball and great prices to boot! Recommended!

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
38.8 lbs holy crap is that heavy. Thanks for enligtening me, I had no concept of the weight and really had never given this more than a second of thought. I am an off road nube, so one more thing to make a note of. Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I'd have taken the scratched one at a reduced price. Cuz you know my first ride out I'd put a hefty scratch on it myself anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts