Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty. So Ive had my Ace for a bit now (with the winch) and never had any issues to speak of. So We went on an overnighter back a week and a half ago with no major riding but some pretty rocky trails. She got knocked around a bit but performed flawlessly. I take her out of the garage last night to finally give her a bath and again everythings fine. Starts up, purrs like a kitten. No issues. I go to move it today so I can clean up my garage tonight and dead as a door nail. Absolutely the deadest of dead batteries. I get her pushed to my car so I can give her a jump and when I hook up the jumpers the winch motor starts "whining" and my wife says she can see some sparking in the general area of the positive cable on the winch motor. I disconnect the positive cable going to the battery and she starts up with no issue and most importantly no noises.

Im curious about a few things:

1) I think the positive is hitting the winch guard plate and grounding out which is causing the motor to "whine" when the winch is hooked up.
2) Has anyone else come across clearance issues with the + post and the guard and what did you do to repair it?

My first issue to date (and I believe it will be a minor one once said and done) so I would appreciate any info that would point me in the right direction. I know at the end of the day Ive got to just tear into it to figure out whats really wrong but wanted to see if theres anyone else who has gone thru this as well.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Alrighty. So Ive had my Ace for a bit now (with the winch) and never had any issues to speak of. So We went on an overnighter back a week and a half ago with no major riding but some pretty rocky trails. She got knocked around a bit but performed flawlessly. I take her out of the garage last night to finally give her a bath and again everythings fine. Starts up, purrs like a kitten. No issues. I go to move it today so I can clean up my garage tonight and dead as a door nail. Absolutely the deadest of dead batteries. I get her pushed to my car so I can give her a jump and when I hook up the jumpers the winch motor starts "whining" and my wife says she can see some sparking in the general area of the positive cable on the winch motor. I disconnect the positive cable going to the battery and she starts up with no issue and most importantly no noises.

Im curious about a few things:

1) I think the positive is hitting the winch guard plate and grounding out which is causing the motor to "whine" when the winch is hooked up.
2) Has anyone else come across clearance issues with the + post and the guard and what did you do to repair it?

My first issue to date (and I believe it will be a minor one once said and done) so I would appreciate any info that would point me in the right direction. I know at the end of the day Ive got to just tear into it to figure out whats really wrong but wanted to see if theres anyone else who has gone thru this as well.

Cheers!!
Does the Polaris winch come with the plastic or rubber boots to cover the connection at the winch....If not I'd suggest getting some, just in case it is rubbing the winch cover. The biggest concern is why it started whining without the winch button being pushed. That is a problem

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has the rubber boots covering the leads. My thought is maybe I dinged a rock pretty good with the bash plate which either bent towards or pushed into the +. As far as the noise I believe it is the motor "shorting" as the + terminal is hitting the bash plate which is connected to the grounded chassis or the - lead. Shorting out basically. With it shorting I did have some of the cable spool out even though the controller was completely off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Phins, I installed one of these a while back, haven't had any issues. ( I'm an electrician and have an understanding how electrical things work) First, there shouldn't be any power at the winch unless you are pushing the button, therefore, I think your problem is in the contactor or switch. Also make sure the mounting bolts are tight, that's where it gets it's ground. I would check the contactor and make sure there isn't some debris on it causing it to short out, and the connections are tight. It could be a bad contactor or switch. Hope this helps, Ray

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hi Phins, I installed one of these a while back, haven't had any issues. ( I'm an electrician and have an understanding how electrical things work) First, there shouldn't be any power at the winch unless you are pushing the button, therefore, I think your problem is in the contactor or switch. Also make sure the mounting bolts are tight, that's where it gets it's ground. I would check the contactor and make sure there isn't some debris on it causing it to short out, and the connections are tight. It could be a bad contactor or switch. Hope this helps, Ray

^^^^^^^Yep

Reactions: flatpickerray

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I started tearing into it last night and discovered a couple of things:

1) When I gave it a bath I believe I may have shorted out the controller switch which was "stuck" in the on position. I have since taken out the switch and will buy a new one today for a reinstall at some point this weekend.

2) The sparking my wife was seeing had to do with #1 in which because the switch was stuck in the on position and it was giving power to the winch which was still getting contact from the positive post to the bash plate that is hooked up to the chassis which acted as the negative ground. A simple mod of cutting the bash plate a little will alleviate this as well.

Hopefully I will have everything fixed by tomorrow night. I was hoping to get a few hours of riding in over the weekend but wont without the winch issue resolved.

·
Registered
344 Posts
... Just as a side note, my XP was street legal with the directional blinkers.
When I first started washing it, spraying inside with a hose, the clicker would start up. No lights, no indication other than the clicking and little red light on unit. Tried drying/can of air etc, nothing worked, had to disconnect it at the terminal. Day later I was able to hook back up and worked fine.

I learned that I just need to put a little plastic bag over the unit when spraying it. The water was getting inside and making the connection which would have drained the battery if I didn't happen to have heard it.

hope that helps..

(ps I didn't have any sparking at all, just a slow drain)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When she was given the bath she did see quite a bit of water in the cockpit to remove all the caked on mud. I imagine with where the switch was that quite a bit of the water dripped right into it which is where I got the short. Pretty confident that when I relocate the new switch up by the 4x4 switch that this will go away.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the stock Polaris 2500 lb. winch. The + cable is covered with a boot and it is facing forward and can only hit the plastic cover towards the front.
There is no metal that can be hit by the cable where it is hooked to the winch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are correct but I have an aftermarket winch plate that covers everything that is steel and not the flimsy plastic piece. I believe it is the KMI winch mount.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.