Polaris ACE Forum banner

Polaris Accessory HMW skid plate VS Factory UTV UHMW skid plate

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  12000 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience on either of the skid plates? The one from Polaris Accessory Item # 2880543 goes for $339 and the Factory UTV goes for $438.90. Looks like the Polaris skid plate is 3 pieces, so i would assume install is easy. But i hear stuff that even though made by Polaris, their accessories do not fit perfectly. I have experience with the Factory UTV for my kids RZR 170 and don't have any complaints. I was just looking to save $100 if possible.

#3 ·
Got me thinking. Wonder what the cost would be to have a piece of diamond plate metal fabricated and copied from the bottom skid plate. We have a great fabrication shop about 40 minutes from me. Be interesting to see what they would charge to copy and cut.

#4 ·
Why use diamond plate in an area that you cannot see until you roll over or jump something?
Plus a skid plate should be able to slide on things. Diamond plate will grip.
Just my 2 cents.

I 'was' going to draw up the main skid plate the other day when I put my winch and plow mount on.
But one damn bolt refused to budge from the main skid plate. But at the time I didn't need it off. I just wanted it off.
However, when the winter season is over and I take the plow mount off,.. I'll be sure to take the skids off and duplicate it.

Of course that is of no help to anyone today tho.

#12 ·
Noise? Like rattling noise when you are going down a trail?
If it is securely bolted in place,... then I don't see it rattling.

If you are talking about a scraping sound when running over rocks/train tracks/ etc... then absolutely it will be much much louder with a metal skid than a plastic skid.

#5 ·
Yea I understand what your saying about the diamond plate thing. I guess it could hold with the ridges unlike plastic or aluminum. Good point.

#6 ·
I was just snooping online for skid plate drawings,... and realized that I am missing the small front skid plate on mine.
Hmm. I wonder if it had to be removed to add the front bumper?

That's what you get when ya buy used,... ya just never know what's been done or changed to a machine.

#8 ·
Green,

I purchased the ACE 900 SP under armor from Trail Armor and I like it, but it was $400. When I replace it (it has taken a beating racing and has quite a few gouges in it already), I will purchase some UHMW plastic and make my own at about 30% of the cost. I traced the ones I have now and will just use it as a pattern. I didn't do this initially because I didn't have time to get it done before my first race in 2018. It has held up really well and I will use plastic every time because of the lighter weight and ability to bend and return to shape when it hits a rock rather than bend permanently like my old ATV swing arm protector.

V22Driver

#14 ·
Please all keep in mind that HMW and UHMW are not the same thing! HMW is a much weaker and less expensive material. UHMW has more than 10 times the impact strength that HMW has and more than 4 times the wear resistance. Think impact strength is a quality you want in your skid plate? There is a reason that almost every Polaris factory racer runs Factory UTV UHMW products.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.