Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, went to take a trip out of town and found battery was dead. We didn't think much of it, bought another one, charged it I the way and now it starts but flashes the check engine light with a code of 168. Best I can tell it's the voltage regulator. I don't think it's under warranty. Anyway to check it and it's polaris the only place to get it? I'm not sure there is any place really close and if so the polaris place is small do most likely don't have in stock..uhhg. Any suggestions? This thing is all stock, no accessories..
Thanks..

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I just had the same trouble code on mine.
My situation is a little different than yours. Here's my thread: http://www.aceforums.net/forum/9-ace-talk/1524-lights-instrument-cluster-go-out-7500-rpm.html
In addition to the 168 in the odometer position, I also have a 3 in the clock position.

The dealer wanted a diagnostic fee, then they were going to charge $215 for the part. And of course there was going to be a bunch of labor for taking off the door and plastics to get at the regulator to replace it.

I decided to roll the dice and just replace the thing myself and hope it's the source of the problem.
Here is where I bought mine for $175: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Polari...904-/171511773907?hash=item27eee5fad3&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine is setting at the Dealer right now for a bad regulator. The 2015 rzr,s are going though them. Also they found the front hubs worn I finally got my front tires toe in at 600 miles. It has 850 when the regulator went out. Thank god it's under warranty bad news won't get back till mid June

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks like Polaris got a new voltage regulator. They changed the part number. Now I just need to wait. Piss me off why they didn't get this problem fixed sooner. Missed almost 2 weeks of riding and now it's north Ariz ridding weather.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Mine "wore out" because it got caked with dried mud and cooked itself.
So you could say that it was kinda my fault. Or you could say that it was bad design, putting it right int front of the tire where it will get mud thrown at it, with no shield.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Mine "wore out" because it got caked with dried mud and cooked itself.
So you could say that it was kinda my fault. Or you could say that it was bad design, putting it right int front of the tire where it will get mud thrown at it, with no shield.
When I bought the ACE, I noticed that thing stuck down there by the frame, and mine had some sand in the cooling fins from the Press riding it on the Factory Show day in SC. I immediately cleaned it out, and thought that really isn't the place for it, unless they want it to be "water cooled" from running in streams and creeks and ponds. But to fill the fins with mud is the same as doing that to an air cooled engine's air fins. I wonder if a relocation harness would be in order? Maybe it could go up in the front under the access panel for the radiator cap and electrical junction block.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Scoundrel, I also have the "3" along with the 168. I still haven't had time to fix this. Tomorrow I am going to look into it a little more.

I hope I don't have to spend $419 on the one listed on eBay..

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Hey Scoundrel, I also have the "3" along with the 168. I still haven't had time to fix this. Tomorrow I am going to look into it a little more.

I hope I don't have to spend $419 on the one listed on eBay..
Looks like prices have gone up on eBay for these voltage regulators,. I paid $175 but I am now seeing them for $204, $214, $249. What are you seeing for $419? That would be a crazy price for a voltage regulator. Even the dealer would be cheaper. Just do a search for "4013904" - that is the Polaris part number.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The part number is 4014029 according to parts fiche, so maybe this is the new number, and I looked on ebay and they have it there at around $200 on up to $400+.
That # fits the Aces and RZR 900XP and 1000XP.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Jim
I just looked at eBay on both numbers. Both looks like they fit the ace. The 3904 seems to be considerably cheaper, and all of the pics look the same for both.

Stubby

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The part number is 4014029 according to parts fiche, so maybe this is the new number
When I took my bad one off, I looked at the sticker on it and went with that part number. But it wouldn't surprise me if they "superceded" it. Happens all of the time.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Perryshoe in his post said they had changed the part number so I just looked it up to see if your number was the current one and it has evidently been changed.

I personally wouldn't order the old number because the new one has hopefully been fixed. JMHO

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
That assumes there was a design flaw with the old one.
If it has a huge heat sink on it, and it gets full of dried mud and bakes itself, that's gonna be hard on it. If the new part number looks exactly the same, it's likely going to have the same weakness.
It might be that they simply used up all of the previous production run, and another manufacturer bid lower on the next production run, so now they have a different part number.

We could speculate all day on why the part number changed, but without any facts, we just don't know.

·
Registered
394 Posts
After seeing what happened to Scoundrel, I make a conscious effort to check the VR every time I stop and get out.
I see some mud and clay build up now and then, but today it was super thick. I need to figure out how to cover it, but it sill have good air flow over it, or find a place to move it.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I figure it's not really a problem while it's still wet. I think the real problem happens when you forget to wash the VR's cooling fins out before the next ride.
I suppose during a really long ride where it got muddy right out of the gate could be an issue.
I thought about moving it or making a cover for it, but wondered if that would interfere with its ability to get cooled by the surrounding air.
But I guess having it in a still air pocket would be better than having it caked in drying mud.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It was covered with a thick mat of wet grass today.
It's right in front of the rear tire. Maybe an angled piece of plastic to let air go over the fins and towards the engine.
The plastic may keep the tires from piling mud and grass on the VR.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts