Polaris ACE Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
AcesNEights -

A good friend of mine (Gimpman on the RZR fourm) was the first guy I knew of that converted a RZR 800 to center steering primarily because he's a big guy & didn't like the weight distribution of a stock machine when in a side-hill situation. He drove the RZR w/o EPS for about four years but when Oregon outlawed 50" wide SxS on 50" ATV trails (WT?) he bought an XP & had it fitted with Menox controls. They're expensive ($2k) but tremendously versatile and quite simple. It's push for gas, pull for brake & there's a rocker switch at his fingertips that allows him to lock the brake on a hill or when parking, etc. He'd used the old style mechanical linkage on the 800 but they get in the way and with the way he drives he most likely wore them out in about one season. Do a search for 'Carospeed Menox' for more info & keep fighting.
I've checked out those controls and they look nice but @ 2k it isn't going to happen. I have some ideas and a MIG welder so I may play around and see if I can come up with something where I can incorporate a twist throttle and a brake control from a standard Sportsman. :confused:

Thanks for the input!

I use a wheelchair & was wondering how people transport their chair while riding.No way for me to put it in the back.I would never ride without taking my chair with me as I do most of my riding alone.I did not get a ace yet but am looking.I ride a sportsman 500 now & strap/bungee the chair on the side.The chair sticks out right side. I hit lots of trees with my chair sticking out.Just wondering how other people transport their chairs.Photos of chair carried on ace? How I carry my chair on my old Polaris trailblazer. Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Automotive tire Off-roading

I would think that maybe something could be fabbed up to mount the chair on the front cargo area, it should be easy to access as long as you don't have a windshield, but depending on the chair there may be multiple ways to mount it that would let you be able to deploy the chair while sitting in the Ace. Have you gone to a dealership and tried out the Ace and seeing where the chair could fit?

a letter from the idaho forest about 50" or less

United Stat€s
Departm€nt of USDA Agriculture
Forest Service
Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests
-
Telephone: 20t-935-2513 Fax: 20E-93$.4275 Granseville Office: 208-983-1950
FileCode:1950 Date: July I1,2014
Dear Interested Party,
Forest Supervisor's Office
903 3'd Street Kamiah, ID 83536
ln November, 201 l, I signed the "Record ofDecision" for the clearwater National Forest Travel Management Plan (ROD) which designated motorized use on specific roads and trails for recreation and general travel, including the type ofvehicle that is allowed on the designated route and the time of year. The ROD followed several years ofextensive public involvement and input from cooperating agencies. Through implementation over the past two years, I have found that while not everyone is in total agreement and there are ongoing legal challenges, the decision does provide opportunities for all users and is generally accepted and supported by the public.
In the 201I Travel Plan decision, only ATVs with a straddle seat and handlebar configuration are permitted on routes designated as open to motorized vehicles 50" or less in width. Since the Travel plan decision, the motor vehicle industry has continued to develop off-highway vehicles with a wheelbase of 50" or less in width that have side-by-side seating and steering wheels. These types of vehicles do not exceed the S0-inch width restriction and thus I consider them to be allowable on the designated ATV trails in the 201 I Travel Plan decision. We are the only Forest in Idaho that limits the type of searing and steering arrangement when applying the 50" definition to OHVS. While this clarification in defiruuon may change what people think about the type of vehicle they can ride on these roads and trails, there is no difference from an environmental standpoint between a 50" or less OIIV with straddie seating and
handlebars and one that has side-by- side seating and a steering wheel.
The intent ofthis letter is to clariry and accommodate the use ofvehicles 50" or less in width on the roads and trails designated open to these vehicles, and not restrict the use ofan OHV based upon the seat and steering configuration of the recreation vehicle.
I appreciate your continued involvement and interest in the management ofthe roads and trails on the Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this clarification of allowable vehicle types on ATV trails, please contact Carol Hennessey at (ZO8) 9354270.
Sincerelv.
lil/fryl
zuCK BRAZELL Forest Supervisor

hi I got no use of my right foot ,(from a car roll over I broke me neck) I can drive the ace by crossing my left foot over to operate the accelerator @ brake ,but its a pain at times, I have a left foot accelerator in my landcruiser,but that setup wont
work on the ace because of the steering rod, so I wonder if any one has any ideas it would be a big help

The ACE has a really stiff throttle return spring. Some guys were talking about replacing that spring with a lighter one. Don't know if that ever came to fruition.
Without that spring, the throttle cable might be pretty light. Maybe you could rig up a thumb throttle from an ATV and control it by hand?
Kind of tricky with a steering wheel, but if you're a cruiser rather than a high speed technical trail rider, maybe a thumb throttle for one hand and a suicide knob on the steering wheel for the other hand would work?

aussie ace you could maybe go with paddle on the steering wheel almost like some of the new cars have for shifters hope you see what I mean here. they call them paddle shifters but I cant see where this couldn't be rigged for a gas peddle. the brake pedal could possibly be modified from under the machine to come out on your left leg. find a fab shop around where you live most guys over here would jump at a chance to modify anything. good luck

I just purchased an ACE 900 SP. I have been a T-10 Para for the last 3 years. I have been riding my old ATV's until I saw the ACE. I've been thinking I would just buy the Sure Grip hand controls from UTV Parts and Accessories. I'm curious how much modifications and what mods others have need to do in order to get peak performance? Thanks, and look forward to trading info. I would also like to thank the admins for adding this section!

Any Ideas on How to bring Wheelchair with me on my soon to be New Ace?

Hi Everyone,
After test driving too many side by sides to count, I kept comparing them all to the ACE I drove last spring. So I finialy made a decision and bought my own Ace 570 I pick it up on Monday. I was wondering if any of you expierienced Ace owners have come up with a way to carry a wheelchair with you? I will tell you my chairs basic dimensions for those of you who may have some ideas I can try.I have a Rigid frame Tilite ZRA with a 16X16 seat and 15 inch stretch to footrest and 25 inch tires that are quick release. If anybody out there has any ideas please let me know. It would feel ALLOT safer when I am riding without other drivers to have my chair incase I break down or something.

my chair folds .I know this don't help your situation but maybe it will help out somebody else. I fit it between the seat & fender. The chair comes in the cab about a foot. The chair does not stick out far so not much problem hitting trees or brush.. The chair holds in with 2 heavy bungee cords on top & 1 cord through the wheels on the bottom. The chair gets some mud on chair tires so thinking of making some mud flaps. I ride alone most of the time so never leave without my chair. photos of chair strapped to ace in a couple of days.

Hi Everyone,
After test driving too many side by sides to count, I kept comparing them all to the ACE I drove last spring. So I finialy made a decision and bought my own Ace 570 I pick it up on Monday. I was wondering if any of you expierienced Ace owners have come up with a way to carry a wheelchair with you? I will tell you my chairs basic dimensions for those of you who may have some ideas I can try.I have a Rigid frame Tilite ZRA with a 16X16 seat and 15 inch stretch to footrest and 25 inch tires that are quick release. If anybody out there has any ideas please let me know. It would feel ALLOT safer when I am riding without other drivers to have my chair incase I break down or something.
Hey, if you're still on here I'd be curious to see/hear what you came up with to haul your chair. I have same size, basically functioning as a T1 paraplegic. I'm thinking of a fabricated rear cage extension similar to what's currently available, perhaps a little wider to fit the chair between (only about 25" with wheels attached). Gonna look a little Beverly-hillbilly once loaded up but I do anyway.

If anyone else has stumbled upon anything, please share!

Great forum guys! Such a supportive site for a cool little machine. I'll be biting the bullet in the spring, likely a 900. Go big or go home. lol I broke my neck 7 years ago on my KX dirtbike and miss riding terribly. (errr... terribly miss riding?) Looking to do all my homework over the winter to be ready for spring. I've been to the dealer and jumped in one. I realize a SXS would likely be better suited to carry a non-folding wheelchair around, but prefer the smaller footprint for tighter trails.

EDIT: wow, the UTV cage seems like it would be perfectly suited for this, getting it up behind me might take some practice and perseverance but definitely enough room there. Likely a lot nicer and cheaper than I could scab together.

ACE#1, I feel your aggravations with getting a ride together. I owned a highly modified scrambler in the 90's and was accused of resembling a madman on a chainsaw. I then had a sportsman 700 when they first came out. then a couple 800 Renegades before moving into a RZR-S in 2009. I modified a Redline Revolt with 3/4 lock to lock power steering thru a pilot type yoke steering wheel and raced it near Pittsburgh. Sold that this past spring and now ride a buddies spare Outty 800.
This new ACE seems like a good option for our population. I would look into putting a stock sportsman steering column, thumb throttle and single brake lever into the ACE. I would then get ahold of Wicked Bilt out of Cleveland to prototype a EPS-Unisteer for this new Polaris. They installed a Unisteer EPS unit in my Revolt at no cost to me. They may even have a way to control a stock polaris sportsman EPS system. Hopefully Polaris will read this and pull the parts off the shelf and make this a model/option. I would buy one for sure. My RZR-S was fun but was a pain to steer. I got tired and fearful of the Revolt. Took way too much effort to get in. Would/could never get out in case of fire.
Good luck. Fell free to pm me or use this forum if you or anyone has any questions.
Hello fellow forum members. I pulled the trigger on a new 900xc and will pick it up this week. (Sold my 2014 Spyder SE-5) Going to make my own hand controls fashioned after youtube video I found of modified ace.

Here is the link to Youtube: only a few glimpses in first few seconds. It looks genius to me.
With the new quicker power steering, on the XC, and 1.5 hands on wheel I think this will be ideal for me.
does anyone know the guy in this video? Patrick Hetriks

Hey have not seen that type of hand controls before ....is it a newer version of the sure grip hand controls? or a custom built set up? I used the original sure grip for the Ace and thought it was kinda sloppy and not very smooth (the long lever exaggerates throttle and brake input) so its a little tricky to get used too but its a great place to start and get you out on the trails.

Ive experimented a lot with the Ace steering and brakes and am working on the 3rd version with a full ATV style handlebar, thumb throttle and steering quickeners for 3/4 turn lock to lock steering so its just like a regular quad.

I'm also working on a new handbrake setup that uses a hydraulic drift E-brake to activate a pull type slave cylinder that mounts beside the oem brake master cylinder, this will allow you to mount a drifto ebrake / motorcycle lever or whatever style works best any where in the Ace that you can get a 4an line to.

I'll have some pics soon as I should have this finished up by the weekend.

If you need any help .... feel free to ask away

M-Spec, They definitely look custom. My reproduction of them will definitely be custom.
My original thoughts on the Ace when it first came out in 2014 was to make it steer with handlebars, throttle with thumb and single brake lever.
$100 bucks in new parts and some design and fabrication labor and I should have the hot set up for my ride.
I am interested in pics of your handle bar build. Keep up the good work.

Ill keep you posted on the handlebars....will be welding up the EPS supports for it tonight, sure can get tricky with such a small amount of space to work with in there.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.