Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2014 ace 330. And the other day it started just fine but as soon as I turned it off it wouldnt start up. It acts like the battery is dead. Barely turns over and just clicks after that. So I purchased a new battery and same thing happens. Do starters go out like this? Or what else do you think it may be? And how do you remove the starter?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try this basic troubleshooting: Clean all cable connections, especially ground points. Corrosion can limit current flow even through a solid looking connection.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ditto what barney said try basic trouble shooting. Is there loose terminals? Is there a corroded wire? Could the starter be faulty? Have you removed the starter does it turn over freely? Have you tried jumper leads from another vehcile to try and start the Ace? Is the brand new battery even charged properly ? Has it thown any engine or warning lights on the dash? Is the starter hot or warm to touch like its malfunctioning or poleing out when it tries to start?. The voltage regulator sits in the most stupid place polaris could of put it near the back wheel and they get covered in mud then overheat and stop charging it could be why the old battery wouldnt start it. The new battery might not be charged up dont assume new is good just because its new. What extras have been added to the ace like a winch or lights or sound system is there any "special" home done wiring that was not run properly and creating a dead short ? Is the engine earth strap/lead still connected and not corroded? If it was not clicking at all and refusing to start check the brake lights are on as the brake/starting inhibitor switch under the left front fender can play up and stop the Ace from starting. I assume its not that as its at least trying.but check they are on any way and tick it off the list of possible problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got a 2014 ace 330. And the other day it started just fine but as soon as I turned it off it wouldn't start up. It acts like the battery is dead. Barely turns over and just clicks after that. So I purchased a new battery and same thing happens. Do starters go out like this? Or what else do you think it may be? And how do you remove the starter?
It will be one of the following: a corroded connection at the solenoid or the starter or a bad solenoid. You have a known good battery, and if the contacts look good, the other option is the solenoid itself is bad. The clicking you hear is the coil in the solenoid kicking in and closing the contacts to send power directly from the battery to the starter, however, it is just a big relay and the contacts in it may have gone bad. I would find the solenoid and take a heavy wire [ 10 gauge will do ] and go from the battery plus directly to the out put of the solenoid. If the starter turns over, the solenoid contacts are bad. I think it is on the frame next to the battery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be one of the following: a corroded connection at the solenoid or the starter or a bad solenoid. You have a known good battery, and if the contacts look good, the other option is the solenoid itself is bad. The clicking you hear is the coil in the solenoid kicking in and closing the contacts to send power directly from the battery to the starter, however, it is just a big relay and the contacts in it may have gone bad. I would find the solenoid and take a heavy wire [ 10 gauge will do ] and go from the battery plus directly to the out put of the solenoid. If the starter turns over, the solenoid contacts are bad. I think it is on the frame next to the battery.
Ok I will try that. Do I go from the positive side of the battery with the 10 gauge wire directly to the solenoid? Does it matter which terminal I go on?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will a bad voltage regulator cause it to not start. Like the starter is trying to engage but sounds like theres not enough voltage to turn it. Battery is fully charged but when I crank it, the starter does make a noise. I replaced the solenoid and that didnt work. Gonna go buy a starter on eBay cause polaris wants 400 bucks. I found one for 80 on eBay and a voltage regulator for 40 bucks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The voltage regulator is part of the charging system that charges the battery when you are driving around as the name implies it regulates the voltage that goes back to the battery.. If the battery is fully charged it really wont matter that the regulator is playing up it just wont recharge the battery after it finally does start.. Have you tried jump starting the ace with jumper leads from another vehicle? If that doesnt make it start try a new starter. Or at least pull yours out and bench run it off some jumper leads run off a car battery to see if its actually working or not. Also the original size battery in the 325 is tiny compared to the actual tray it sits in.Mine went though a a couple of original size batterys.and failed to start at the most inconvinant of places... I changed mine out for a larger size and keep it on a trickle/top up charger when not in use.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my ace started. Bought a new starter at DB Electrical and installed it. Started right up. So happy I got it figured out! Back to riding again! Thanks guys for all the help!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got my ace started. Bought a new starter at DB Electrical and installed it. Started right up. So happy I got it figured out! Back to riding again! Thanks guys for all the help!!!
Hi Tim,
I believe I have the same issue. Where is the starter motor located?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts