Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Polaris Canvas Roof, Overhead Storage Bag, and Trail Bag Review

Right out of the showroom, I felt that the ACE left me a little exposed to the elements, and could definitely use some storage.
So when I bought the ACE, I ordered a few things right away. Among them were the roof and the trail bag. The overhead bag came a little later.
I'm lumping these three items together because I think they make a great combination.

Item #2879692 - Canvas Roof
Item #2879705 - Trail Bag
Item #2879706 - Overhead Storage Bag

I've used the canvas roof before, on my RZR. I started out with a poly top, but even with the indentation on the side, I still found that I rubbed it on trees. Since it was unyielding plastic, it was damaged by close encounters of the bark kind. I decided to try out the canvas roof, and found that not only did it "cut the corners" of the roll cage, covering more of my shoulder, but it was able to flex inward when I rubbed a tree.
The canvas itself is surprisingly durable. I've rubbed a lot of trees hard enough that I was sure the canvas would be damaged, but amazingly, it pulled through! And after all of that, it is still waterproof.
There are limits, of course. Rolling the vehicle was enough to put some serious frayed spots in the parts of the roof that were up against the roll cage.

So when it was time for a roof for the ACE, even though my dealer had a poly roof in stock, I opted for the canvas one.
It has performed just as well on the ACE. It's just enough of a roof to help with the rain and keep the sun in check, but does not take away too much from the experience of being outdoors.

It's a snap to install. It only takes a a few minutes to screw together the front mounts, clip them on, toss the canvas over the back, and strap it down tight.
You'll spend a few extra minutes fine-tuning the position of the front mounts and tension on the back straps, but it's easy stuff.

View attachment 3303 View attachment 3302 View attachment 3304 View attachment 3305 View attachment 3306

When the overhead bag did arrive, I started wrestling with it under the canvas roof, then realized I was being an idiot. The overhead bag is a lot easier to install without a roof.
Good thing the roof is quick and easy to install, and uninstall. I loosened the straps, tossed the canvas over the front, and got to work on the overhead bag.
Once the roof was out of the way, it was a simple matter to wrap six velcro straps around the roll cage, make a couple of quick adjustments, and I was done.
It was a matter of two minutes to strap the roof back down and tighten it up.

I am well please with the overhead bag. It fits the contours of the ACE's roll bars nicely, and can hold quite a bit of stuff.
Here is what I usually carry in it:
* A few protein drinks
* A few bottles of water
* Copy of paper maps for whatever area I am riding
* Charging cables for phone, GoPro, etc.

If I didn't have extra water and protein drinks up there, I could fit all manner of small items in there that I might want to reach quickly and easily. But as it turns out, water and protein drinks are the things I go for the most. There is one feature that I have seen in other overhead bags, and I wish the Polaris bag had it: a map pocket. I am talking about a pocket that folds up and stays out of the way via velcro most of the time, but you can just pull it down and look through a clear plastic window at the contents - a spiral bound map book, a folded piece of paper with a map printed on it, or whatever. The overhead bag is great, but it could be fantastic with that feature added. The only other thing I don't like about the bag is that if I forget to zip up the pockets before taking off, bottles of water tend to smack me on the shoulder and fall into my lap. But I guess that's not really the bag's fault. :censored:

View attachment 3307

The Trail Bag is another great accessory. Once again, the installation was quite easy. There is one big long velcro flap and two side straps. Just start at one end, line up the velcro, and work your way over. Then pull the side straps tight and close the velcro. I was concerned about it bouncing around back there, but it stays planted.

You might be wondering why I want a trail bag, when I have to get out of the ACE to access it, and I could store that stuff in the front compartment or a rear bed box. Sure, there is plenty of storage room in the front, or in a bed box, but this bag is where I put stuff that I want to try and keep dry, keep from getting bounced all over the place, and that I might want to access while standing next to the ACE, rather than working the two latches for the front box or digging around in the bed box. You know, small stuff. The trail bag is simply astonishing in how much it can hold. I feel like part of the bag exists in another dimension. I keep putting more stuff in it, and the stuff keeps fitting in there. I can't really think of a way that the trail bag could be made better, and still be as compact and unobtrusive as it is.

Here is what I usually carry in the Trail Bag:
* Shovel (handheld, folding)
* Flashlight
* Wet Wipes (about a dozen, in a ziploc bag)
* Toilet Paper (unspooled from the roll in roughly 24" sections and folded into a ziploc bag)
* Trash bags
* Extra AA and AAA batteries
* USB battery module (this is a battery pack thing that you charge up, and you can then recharge your phone from it several times before it runs out)
* Spare GPS
* String & Knife
* MP3 Player and earbuds
* Bag of ammo

When I went on the Paiute ATV Trail camp & ride, I also carried an additional "Personal Bag" in there. It contained:
* Sunscreen
* Bug spray
* Antihistamines
* Soap
* Shampoo
* Toothbrush/toothpaste

The trail bag was pretty stuffed by the time I got all that in there. Most of the time I don't have the Personal Bag, and there is room for keys, sunglasses (in a case), and a hat.
The zippers on both the overhead and the trail bag are good quality. They're not the "large lug" zippers (THAT is how the bags could be improved), but they don't get a lot of dust or mud where they are, so they have stood up to 2700 miles of trail riding and don't show any signs of getting stuck.

View attachment 3309 View attachment 3308

The best thing about these accessories is the price. These are reasonably priced, resulting in a great overall value.
If you need more storage than this, you might look at the Side Bags. They came out later and I never jumped on them, but I am told they're just as nice as the Trail Bag, and easy to get into while seated.
If you remove the side bolsters to install doors, you can't use the Side Bags. But if you buy the Polaris Sport Doors and Lower Door Extensions, then you can use the Lower Door Storage Bags.
I might have to give that a closer look...

Stay tuned for more accessory reviews!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the review. I am picking up my ACE this afternoon, and was unsure about which roof to get. Sounds like the canvas is the one for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also have the overhead storage bag and love it. I keep my keys, wallet, cell, winch controller, insurance papers and anything else I want to keep safe and dry. I have the poly roof and am very happy with the ease of installation and durability. The side bags are also excellent, they are really well built and do a very good job keeping out dust and mud. When I bought my Ace I ordered the Polaris upper and lower doors at the same time, the salesperson didn't tell me they didn't work with the doors, however, I have figured out a way to secure them and they have been solid.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have the overhead storage bag and love it. I keep my keys, wallet, cell, winch controller, insurance papers and anything else I want to keep safe and dry. I have the poly roof and am very happy with the ease of installation and durability. The door bags are also excellent, they are really well built and do a very good job keeping out dust and mud. When I bought my Ace I ordered the Polaris upper and lower doors at the same time, the salesperson didn't tell me they didn't work with the doors, however, I have figured out a way to secure them and they have been solid.
I'm sure the poly top is great for many scenarios, it just wasn't working out well for me personally.

When you say the door bags don't work with the doors, do you actually mean the side bags that attach to the bolsters? Polaris makes side bags, for use when you still have the original side bolsters on, and they make another set of "door bags" that attach to the lower door extensions.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Good review, thanks Paul..

I had the poly roof and overhead bag on Nellie, and like it.
While I didn't fill it with "Hard/heavy" stuff like bottles etc, I used it for my small pocket camera, phone and small battery.

Like to see, but not sure it's a good thing:
Storage area seemed to go back way over to the other side, again from an XP1k stand point. Probably close enough for the Single ACe.
Map flap as you mentioned
Pocket camera pocket for ease of pulling out small pocket camera.
Bigger zippers, with gloves hard to get.

i like the back trail bag idea and assume it's out of the way of the seat. I would plan on using it for rain/warm gear

I'm still on the fence on the roof: Poly vs soft vs square roof cage...
I haven't settled on that one yet, but lean back to the standard Polaris roof structure just not sure on the soft or hard yet.

I'm assuming with the soft, it needs to be removed/rolled up for trailering/ truck bed traveling. Doesn't "Need" to be but will last longer if it is rolled up.

nice, thanks for the info.

and if one gets the poly roof with the sound system, the roof bag will also fit or is it one or the other...

thanks...

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good review, thanks Paul..

I had the poly roof and overhead bag on Nellie, and like it.
While I didn't fill it with "Hard/heavy" stuff like bottles etc, I used it for my small pocket camera, phone and small battery.

Like to see, but not sure it's a good thing:
Storage area seemed to go back way over to the other side, again from an XP1k stand point. Probably close enough for the Single ACe.
Map flap as you mentioned
Pocket camera pocket for ease of pulling out small pocket camera.
Bigger zippers, with gloves hard to get.

i like the back trail bag idea and assume it's out of the way of the seat. I would plan on using it for rain/warm gear

I'm still on the fence on the roof: Poly vs soft vs square roof cage...
I haven't settled on that one yet, but lean back to the standard Polaris roof structure just not sure on the soft or hard yet.

I'm assuming with the soft, it needs to be removed/rolled up for trailering/ truck bed traveling. Doesn't "Need" to be but will last longer if it is rolled up.

nice, thanks for the info.

and if one gets the poly roof with the sound system, the roof bag will also fit or is it one or the other...

thanks...
I don't think the behind-the-seat trail bag is big enough for serious rain gear, like the rubber kind, but a super-thin shell might roll up and squeeze in there. It's mainly for small items, but it holds a LOT of them.
I've towed the RZR and the ACE with the canvas top still attached many thousands of miles without any ill effects. Both made a trip from Washington to Southern Utah.
The poly top has been known to fly off when the bolts rip through it with a heavy gust of wind. But some people have used fender washers to reinforce theirs and have not lost them yet.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Oh, kewl on the soft roof, I was thinking that they would start to stretch and then sag...

I'm assuming that ya can't do the radio with the soft roof. or maybe you can and if removed you'd still have the radio setup exposed... hmmmm.. back and forth, back and forth..

thanks..

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The canvas roof has fixed mount points in front and adjustable straps in back, so if it does stretch and sag, you can take up the slack.
Eventually, I suppose it would thin out from repeated stretching, but I destroyed my first canvas roof by rolling the RZR long before that could happen.
They're pretty tough, and it would take a bunch of years for the stretch/sag thing to become a problem.
And since they're only $100 and some change, it's hardly even a consideration.

Don't know about the radio setup. I suppose with an expensive roof radio, I would want a poly roof, to eliminate any possibility of water leaks in the roof. Although I expect the roof radio is waterproof.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Easy to poke a couple holes in the strap and use a lock and ride clamp if one prefers that.
Front straps might vibrate in the wind, but a few feet of double sided velcro would fix that.
If those had been available 2700 miles ago, I might have gone for that instead.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a pair of side bags and the overhead bag, on a stock Ace with the hard top.
Storage is great with these options. Especially for things like tow and anchor straps, tools, bullets, paperwork and snares.
That leaves the front storage open for anything else you want.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well...I was leaning against a canvas top until I looked at this thread.

Great pictures!

Thanks...my canvas top is on the way!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You won't regret it.
If you want to go roofless on a nice day, you can peel it off, roll it up, and stuff it in a storage area.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Great write up. Subscribed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Upper Bag.JPG Rear Bag and Rack.JPG Rear Bag.JPG Side and Rear Bags.JPG

Bored on a rainy holiday weekend. Took a few pictures after installing my front LED lights.
I don't keep anything in the side bags yet. I do have mosquito spray, sunglasses and legal paperwork in the top bag.
Rear bag has tow rope and ratchet straps.
I keep a small shovel and other digging items in the front 'trunk'.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm trying to decide between the overhead bag and the trail bag. Mainly to keep my cell phone, wallet, gps charger, and winch remote in while I ride. How do these protect against the elements while riding? I have the poly top, so water from above wouldn't be an issue for the overhead, but how much gets on it from underneath vs. how much mud/water does the trail bag get hit with?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The trail bag doesn't get hit with much, but then I have a roof and windshield.
stuff in the trail bag does not get beat up as much as in the overhead bag, partly because the pockets are less wide open, and partly from being lower to the ground.
If I had to choose between them, it would depend on whether I wanted to be able to get into them without leaving my seat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts