Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed Polaris lower doors and mud flaps for my 2014 Ace. The Polaris website states that neither will fit a 2014 model. Others on the forum had installed them so I ordered them. The doors fit perfectly. I am very happy with them. The set of mudflaps that I received required some modifications.

I had not noticed until I started installing the mudflaps but the left floor of the Ace is about 1.75 inches lower than the right floor. Both mudflaps that I received were designed for a lower floor. They are designed to be attached to existing screws that secure the floor plastic to the black front fenders.

View attachment 2883

There are predrilled holes in the mudflaps that fit over the end of the screws that are circled in red and the mudflaps are secured with lock nuts.

The left mudflap fit perfectly. In order to adequately secure the right mudflap I drilled some extra holes and secured the mudflap with bolts and fender washers.

View attachment 2884

It is not secured to the Ace as low as it is designed to be secured, so I don't know of this will prove to be a problem in the long run. I also installed fender flares. The flares fit over some of the plastic rivets that secure the mudflaps. If you install both at the same time, install the mudflaps first. I had to remove the flares to install the mudflaps. I also had to remove the left nerf bar to drill the hole in the left rocker panel to insert the lower plastic rivet that secures the mudflap to the rocker panel.

This what the fender flares, mudflaps, lower door extension and nerf bars look like installed.

View attachment 2886

·
Registered
13 Posts
well at least it's nice to know I'm not the problem with mudflaps for my sportsman ace. I too have the same problem. it's apparent that engineering / manufacturing / installation manual folks got this out the door in a hurry and didn't thoroughly cross their T's and dot their I's. several issues albeit minor.
1st issue, they stickers identifying the left hand mudflap vs. the right hand mudflap are wrong. RH is on the left flap, LH is on the right flap. 2nd issue, they say after securing the lefthand mudflap with 2 nuts over the existing screws then drill four holes and fasten with 4 rivets and washers as supplied
then repeat steps 2 thru 4 for the right side. Well, they only send 6 rivets and 6 washers. not a big deal yet. But then I go to fasten right hand mudflap and holes don't line up for aligning 2 screws and secure with nuts. the holes are about 2 inches apart but the screws are about 4 inches apart. I thought okay, just redrill holes
and relocate the screws.. well, that won't work. I took both screws out and the mudflap won't even fit inside the fender & rocker panel. that's when I discovered that the geometry is different on the right hand side vs. the left hand side and the right side is about 1.75inches higher than the left.
Engineering made a mistake. I chose not to re-drill holes in the mud flap cause the geometry is such that the holes would be too near edge of mudflap and eventually would pull out. So I informed the dealer and suggested that they contact Polaris engineering to inform them of the problem.
The parts counter guy said well bring it in and we will have their technicians install it and won't charge me much. At that point I got a bit stressed out (all with polite language mind you) I said that was unacceptable. They should contact engineering and come up with a proper solution which is a right hand mudflap engineering properly to fit the right side.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ace Mustang,

I had similar problems with the packaging and just did not mention it. Like you, my left hand flap was labeled RH and my right hand flap was labeled LH. It took me a couple of minutes to realize that. I too was short two washers and plastic rivets. I had spare washer and rivets from another project and used those. The higher floor on the right side is more of a problem that I initially thought. There is no good way to fasten the mud flap down low. The right flaps tilts forward toward the tire more than the left flap. I rode for an hour or so today and my right tire wore a hole in the mud flap. I think that I have figured out a way to fasten the flap down low to keep it from contacting the tire. I will get out my plastic welding kit tomorrow and repair the flap and try to secure the flap lower to keep it away from the tire. They are very flimsy. They are attractive but not tough enough for an OHV. I have some old nursery pots that are reinforced plastic and tough as nails. I will try to cut some reinforcement pieces and rivet them to the existing flaps.

I rode through some mud holes the last couple of day and they do help with that. I still get mud on the doors but I don't have as much mud and water thrown into the cab area. I have 27" tires and 2" wheel spacers so the mud flaps do not completely cover the tire width. I will always get some water and mud in the cab.

·
Registered
13 Posts
okay, why does the printed (on paper) accessories brochure say it fits all sportsman ace models. after browsing around a while as some have suggested the online brochure says "Does not fit 2014 model" when you select 2014 from the pull down menu. of course if you select 2015 from the pull down menu it fits. Well of course I bought the 2014 model. why would they change the design after only a half year. the 2014 is really a 2014 1/2. I guess they left us 2014 model users high and dry and I would not expect they would be motivated to please us early model purchasers. I feel like I was misled. I guess I have two choices. take them back to the dealer and ask for my money back or do what others have done and "jury rig" it by trying to mount them lower. I really want something to keep from splattering mud (now snow) onto the outside of rear fenders. oh well I guess as the saying goes "caveat emptor" which means let the buyer beware. one would think after spending $7,500 dollars and then an additional $80 for mud flaps you would expect more. :black_eyed:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ace Mustang, I repaired my mud flaps today and attached another plastic rivet. They still angled slightly forward toward the wheel. When the 27" wheels are turned all the way to the right, the rear of the tire was contacting the mud flaps. It would lift it up and wear a hole in it. So I heated up the flap with a heat gun. It will really soften the plastic, quickly. I bent the bottom of the flap towards the rear and propped something against it while it cooled. When the flap was cooled down, it kept the new shape. I hope that I don't have any further problems with it. I also repaired some other cracks in black plastic parts. I heated the plastic up with the heat gun until it was soft and it made it much easier to repair with the Harbor Freight plastic welding kit.

My dealer refused to sell me the mud flaps because Polaris stated that they would not fit a 2014 model. I too felt abandoned by Polaris. The Polaris web site stated that the lower door extensions would not fit. Someone else on the forum had installed the doors so I ordered them. They fit perfectly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts