Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I see there are a few kits to add EPS to the ACE.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with them or can help me with some info comparing them.

EZ-steer kit from Super ATV -
• $520
• water tight
• lots of parts
• 3yr warranty

Wicked bilt Electra steer -
• $780
• few parts
• 3yr warranty

OEM -
• $1300
• few parts
• 6mo warranty?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I've had the Electra Steer on my RZR for about 2000+ miles and 3.5 years.
No problems with it, works great. Installation was fairly simple.

I've had the EZ Steer on my ACE for about 1000+ miles and 1 year.
No problems with it, works great. Installation was a pain, but that has more to do with the ACE bodywork and frame layout than the kit.

I'm not sure why you list the EZ Steer as having more parts than the Electra Steer.
Both have a motor, a controller, a couple of column pieces and linkages to replace the stock steering column, and some wires.
I'm looking at two photos of them side by side now. The EZ Steer kit photo shows all of the parts separately. The Electra Steer kit photo has the same parts, but assembled, so it only looks like fewer parts.
Other than the difficulty with the ACE due to the bodywork and tight clearances, I remember the installation being pretty similar between the two.

The EZ Steer is a clone of the Electra Steer.
For the first year, everyone was saying "We'll see how EZ Steer holds up. The Electra Steer is the original, higher quality" and stuff like that.
But then the EZ Steer held up just fine and continued to be cheaper.

The OEM one is going to be "progressive" - meaning less boost when the vehicle is moving at speed.
I used to think that was a big deal and probably worth the extra bucks. Then I drove an ACE 570 Black Pearl SP, which has the progressive EPS installed.
I didn't feel that the progressive EPS made much difference, really. I think that the toe-in adjustment will have much more to do with stability at speed than the progressive EPS.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going off the photo. Thanks gor the info. It was exactly the advice I was hoping for.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I installed an EZ Steer kit on my 800 RZR and it worked faultlessly. I then bought the EZ Steer kit for my XP900 and it seemed to have a fault with the ECU that was drawing current even when switch off (Super ATV replaced the ECU under warrantee). I've just landed and am yet to fit an EZ Steer kit for my ACE. I'll report back in a week or so when done but I'd expect it to be pretty good based on experience so far.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got my Ez-Steer in last Friday. Dad and I installed it sund and finished it up after work. I am glad I didn't pay to install, but it had some challenges. I bought it thru team fas, for $440 shipped.
After we were done, the right tire was towed out, fixed that then Drove up and down road and turns. I like so far, look forward to the next day or weekend ride

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Strange, installing the kit should not have changed the toe. The kit replaces stuff north of the steering box.
Are you sure it wasn't already out before, and you just noticed it since you were focusing on the steering?

·
Registered
130 Posts
That didn't change the toe, but with everything stripped down and working on it, It became 'obvious' it needed adjusted. So yes, working on steerin made me notice more.
It seemed my motor was different than pictured, I had to grind away the lip on the lower cross over bar. I check and post a few pics tomorrow

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I also had to remove a chunk of that crossbar to get mine installed.
I called and spoke with SuperATV about it. I guess the deal is that with ALL of the bolts way loose, it is theoretically possible to wiggle the shaft into a position where it's not hitting anything, without modifying that crossbar. Then you can tighten it up. That seems like a less than perfect products design, but I'm not an engineer, so...

·
Registered
130 Posts
We seen no way to do it with the bolts loose.the slop made it worse. Then if it was 'happy', tightening them changed it. What I didn't like most, was the plate that mounts to the motor was sandwiched between the frame tube and the big mounting plate. Didn't make sense, the top plate is forced not to sit flush to pivot mount and cross tube. As a machinist, I get/got the difficult issues, i doubt the ace was engineered for the 'after market'. It is tight space.... I do recommend it tho, install is short lived frustration compared to the enjoyment of the ACE..

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dad, Stubby, again thanks a ton for your help. Frustration wasn't so bad when your doin the install with Dad.

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
My steering has started to squeak a bit, and I am concerned that mine wiggled out of place and is now rubbing against the notch I cut in the crossbar.
Not a big deal if it is, won't hurt anything. Guess I'll have to get under there and have a look.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The last time the wife and I were at Rock House on the HM trails we traded quads (her Ace 570 for my Can AM Outlander) for a few minutes. I about broke my wrist not paying attention to the steering. Going through the rocks and uneven terrain really throws the steering back and forth. She never complained once but I am going to buy the power steering to make trail riding a little more fun. It seems like the EZ steer will be the one to get since the Polaris one is so much money. I also wondered about the steering boost while riding but if you guys don't think it makes that much of a difference, I wont worry about it. My girl is a trooper anyway, she rarely complains about anything as long as we are out playing on the trails but even so, I think she would appreciate the upgrade. (I know I sure did, I don't think I can own another quad without pwr steering)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey All…

I’m picking up two 570s this Saturday; bought two EZ Steer kits from Super ATV. My Polaris dealer (owner) had no problems in his people installing them for me…I thought it was for free since I’m picking up two at the same time, but his installers want $500 each… No way I said…so now I’m either going to return them or install myself… I’m very good at mechanics but I REALLY don’t want to tear my two brand new babies apart. What would you do?

Thanks…

Mr DJ

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If you are very good at mechanical stuff, then I highly recommend taking them apart and installing the kits.
For one thing, you're going to have to take these things apart to do stuff sooner or later, and it might as well be when they're all squeaky clean.

Taking them apart now does several things for you:
1. You get very familiar with the machine right away.
2. You get to carefully inspect a large portion of the machine, look for problems, and if you find any, fix them or get the dealer to fix them while the machine is still clean.
3. If you find any problems that are warranty issues in #2, they can't try and blame you for anything and shrug out of the warranty.

Every machine type has its own quirks, and these ones are going to be a learning curve for you. Jump in with both feet and you'll get a head start on that curve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Scoundrel

Thank you for the welcome...

Good points also...I do want to keep them, for I do not want to struggle for one moment on the track or trails; have enough body pains as it is...

Thank you again...

Mr DJ

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mr DJ,
I highly recommend you just do it yourself. After all, a grand saved it a few more accessories or go on an Ace vacation!
Buy the plastic rivet pliers off ebay and a 50-100 qty rivets, you will use them on two aces.
The directions are pretty clear. Accept where the big plate mounts to steering 'column', the motor bracket is sandwiched between that big mount plate and cross tube. I used a gringer to fix it an area where it was tight.. So you may have to do a simple mod, no big deal
Do one on Saturday, start early, Sunday will be a piece of cake on the second. Pm me, I will give my number if you need help or talk of it.

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Plastic rivets (the good ones):
100pcs ATV Fender Retainer Clips Fasteners Honda Suzuki Kawasaki Polaris USA | eBay

Rivet pliers:
Push Pin Pliers Remove Plastic Poly Rivet Center Pin Panel Clip Fastener Anchor | eBay

Personally, I find that the split screwdriver version works better in most cases. I can loosen the center post without yanking it completely out, and then go deeper to get the rivet body out,and it stays it one piece.
Auto Door Panel Clip Removal Tool Removes Upholstery Panels Plastic Clips Trim | eBay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Duane

Thank you, Sir... I'm pretty sure I will give you a shout... I'll PM you...

Scoundrel

Thanks for the links...

Mr DJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Scoundrel/Duane, help me out...

First off, I sent the PS units back to Super ATV...I wimped out on tearing my bikes apart, but the real deal is my family and I went out last Saturday to our track and we found it very easy to steer. Now here's the part where I need help. I want to show off my new twin bikes but I can't seem to attach photos from my Mac. When I hit preview, the photos don't show...so I did't post my new thread...

Also, I can't find the spot to add my email so I will know when someone replies to this thread...I'm sure it's in my profile somewhere. This forum is similar to others I visit but still.

Thanks in advance...

Mr DJ

1 - 20 of 34 Posts